Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

3 months Post-op L5-S1 ALIF

HeidiLynnMHHeidiLynnM Posts: 445
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:59 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
Hello everyone!
I am now 3 months out of surgery. Hmmmm do I feel better? Not yet, but I don't feel Horrible. I do still take mild pain meds. It still hurts to bend, and lift. The biggest thing that worries me is my leg pain.......I have read that it is supposed to go away after a fusion. Mine Has NOT. :?

I have a appointment on thursday with the work comp doctor. I am being released to full duty in 8 more days. Thank god I have my PM doc on my side. My surgeon says I am fine, and good to go........Wow, what a joke. I just don't know what to think, or say? ~X(

I am still very sore in the back, and it hurts. I can't say it is severe to the point of tears. I am getting used to it, but I do lose my balance a lot. I feel like I am kind of stuck?????

• Forgot to add that I am now also going to Physical therapy......Holy Crap!!!!!! It hurts A LOT! I am seeing him tomorrow, and it is funny that he told me what the surgeon didn't........The nerves that were compressed did cause damage, and they take forever to grow back! Funny how the surgeon didn't tell me that???????
  • It sure sounds you need more time off work, considering your problems with balance, lifting, bending without use of proper body mechanics, unless that's also painful, and leg pain. If the WC doctor decides you're ready to return to work - I hope that won't be the case - is there a chance you can appeal his/her decision? Best wishes, and you'll be in my prayers Thursday. Love 'n >:D< , Ess
  • I can disagree with the work comp doctor, BUT my surgeon says I can do full duty. I don't even know what to tell this doctor! It is pretty bad when your own surgeon says that I am fine. I do use proper bending, and sometimes I don't.

There is only a few things that are going to work for me I think. I need to get a EMG, and another xray done on my back. I really don't believe I am fused. I do have the PM doctor on my side which is good. I never thought I would ever go through all of this crap~
  • I'm right there with you Heidi, you know I had surgery on 9/27 and I am in the same boat. My right foot/leg/hip are all still in terrible pain including numbness, tingling, shooting, and burning. Some come and go and the burning is near constant.
    Dr (PM and Surgeon) both admit it will take 6-18mos for the nerves to become less angry. I was taking Lyrica and thought it was having no effect other than weight gain, until I ran out at which time I realized how much help it was. Started back on Keppra instead and it's only been a week so time will tell if it works better. A friend swears by it as opposed to Lyrica in his expereince.
    I am still on 3 7.5 percocets a day plus 2 Ultram every 8 hrs and Baclofen three a day.
    I am sick of the pills but they keep me on the edge of despair. Without the pills I could see being paralyzed with depression and pain.
    The mental pain of taking narcotics is marginally less than the physical pain of not, so here I sit doing the lesser of two evils. I pray that OUR issues resolve soon. My wife keeps telling me "it's ONLY been three months, give yourself a break" and she IS right.
    We didnt get in this shape overnight and it wont get better overnight.

Hang in there Heidi.
  • I am sick of feeling like crap, but I cant loath in my misery.....Yes, we did have have our surgey one day apart. I am not taking very heavy meds at all, I actually just took 150 mg of tramadol. I can't believe that your surgeon, and mine are completely different!!! Mine let me go, and said I am fine!!! I am having a bad morning, I feel like everything is on my shoulders.....I always say "This shall pass"....
  • Hi; and i've been watching your topic here, cause i'm 5 weeks post-op my l5/s1 alif.

Sorry to say this but your doctor appears more concerned about his level of work then facing the facts that you are still in pain.

I am also w/c, and my back pain and leg pain is still there also.
    But my doctor has been great with listening to me and addressing the problems when i tell him i still hurt.

Hoping you can get it accross to your doctor, that you are still in pain and still need his help dealing with this and the w/c issues.

Best of luck to ya.
  • Hi,I to have been reading your posts,I had my L5 S1 operation on 17th nov 2011,It seems we all have the same problem with leg pain still with us,I was told it will take a long time and may or may not recover,Mine has improved a little but has not gone away,still have muscle spasms and cramps,and foot drop, I take Baclofen for the spasms.I also take tablet form methadone for the pain,I find it very good but many doctors can not understand why i am on it,yet it is the best thing I have taken with no side effects,my spinal surgeon was happy for me to continue so that will do me.

I see my surgeon for a review on17th Jan to check the fusion and discuss how things have been.

Heidi you need to get the doctor on side you have had major surgery, nerve pain can take a long time to heal depending on how compacted it was in the first place,nerves can regrow I have been told as I have also had nerves cut (denervation) at a pain clinic in my neck a few years ago,due for more surgery at C5/6 later this year for more decompression..

Wishing you all the best Des :))) :-)))
  • Well, I had my 6 month checkup this morning and here's my status:
    Rt leg is still in nerve pain from the hip tot he toes including numbness, burning, wet sensation, shooting pain (much less thanks to lyrica), but this week the low back pain seems to have started to return. I did push myself building a fence this weekend so maybe that's on me ;(
    Dr says this is highly likely an L4/5 problem and possible foraminectomy (otomy?>) in another 6 months.

I also seem to have started getting the numbness back in both hands outer two fingers. Dr says that is highly related to the ACDF C456 stressing the C67 joint/nerve now 7+ years later.

Finally, my right foot (heel) has been sore and giving me fits first thing in the morning especially. Dr says this is probably Plantar Fascaiitis (sp) again and certainly feels like it from before the surgery in 94 for that on both feet. I'm flat footed as can be.

Sooooooo, long and short of it is...... I'm a mess and feel like instead of my coming 53rd birthday, it's more like 93rd :(

Bah Humbug.