Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Blood Transfusion?

Heff-ManHHeff-Man Posts: 12
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:59 AM in Scoliosis
Hey I feel like this could be a silly question but I can't honestly remember this because I had surgery for scoliosis roughly about 5 years ago and so much has happened in my life the last thing on my mind was reflecting on my surgery over the past few years. Anyway My dad was telling me I have a rare blood type and I was thinking about giving blood because I know it could save someone's life one day and I don't mind needles(have had my fair share of needles in the past). Anyway I took a test to see if I was eligible to give blood and it says that if you have had a blood transfusion in the past that you cannot give blood. I honestly can't remember if I had one.

My dad can't remember and my mother passed away last year suddenly so she was really the only person who could tell me. I haven't kept in touch with my surgeon and don't really want to ask him anyway cus I feel its silly. Is there anyway to find out? calling the hospital?..although I'm sure they are busy enough without me asking them something so stupid and pointless like that. I'm pretty sure I would have had a one considering the surgery I had but I heard a blood transfusion is only there as a precaution and not always used..just incase you need it during surgery if blood loss occurs or something like that so perhaps I didn't have one.

I don't know how ye guys can help but if you have any experience or knowledge relating to this I would be grateful if you could let me know your thoughts.Thanks.

• Hi!
    I'm new to this forum and don't want to step on any toes, as there are so many here that are incredibly knowledgable.
    You should contact the hospital, it's not a big deal for them to pull your surgical record, They have a whole dept. for medical records and usually are very well organized. You will just need to sign a medical release and show proof of identity and sometimes there is a small fee.
    This is not silly and is very important information that you should have.
    Very sorry about your Mom. Good luck, Peeps
This discussion has been closed.