Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Who am I kidding? Freaking out!!

MomofthreeboysMMomofthreeboys Posts: 73
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:59 AM in Spinal Cord Stimulation
I had my scs test in December and had pretty good relief in the areas they could cover with the test. Now I go the 10th for my surgical consult and scheduling and I'm really starting to freak out!! In December, I wanted this so bad and I was dedicated but since December I've heard about misplacement, leads coming thru the skin, and it just not working!!! I'm also very worried about s-e-x. (married 18 years and pretty active despite pain, sorry if tmi). I'm just so worried in general. I've been having panic attacks about having this thing fused to my spine. HOWEVER, I WANT THE RELIEF!!!! Can anyone give me their experiences with scs? I need reasurrance, this is my last resort.
(prior posts for surgeries if interested)

• 33 freakin views and not one comment. I hope this isn't supposed to be a SUPPORT group! Just forget me!
  • Maybe you should give people some idea what the subject matter is. I read your post and have absolutely nothing to add to this post. I have never had anything to do with scs, I know nothing about it. Perhaps you should read the thread called, I believe, before you make your first post. That way people who have an interest and knowledge will read your post and possibly you will get some information that will help you.
  • I am on the freaggin scs board!!!! At least that is where I posted!!! If my post was moved, which happened, well I can't help that, but I don't believe it was. You are one sarcastic mmmm...nm. Pain and you don't mix!!!
  • I am on the freaggin scs board!!!! At least that is where I posted!!! If my post was moved, which happened, well I can't help that, but I don't believe it was. You are one sarcastic mmmm...nm. Pain and you don't mix!!!
  • Is that not a clear question?
  • geez there's no need for you to get so aggressive. everyone on here is in pain, but you don't see anyone else using your tone. freaking out because no one answered your question after only a few hours is just ridiculous. Take a deep breath. there's lots of info here on the procedure. I am 22 and my SCS worked great for a few month, but then my lead moved so i didnt get coverage. i had an unsuccessful revision on the 12th of December, and will try for one more revision over my spring break. while it isnt ideal, it's not the disaster you are mentioing. I do suggest you try to get a handle on your emotions because you must pass a psych exam for this procedure and be able to be patient with the recovery. best of luck, but please stop being abusive.
  • Many, many of us do not look in each individual forum. I myself check the new post link on the opening page. For that reason, if you do not give an idea what area you are posting about, there is no way I can tell if you are posting about scs or jello pudding. However as the previous poster stated, if you want an immediate answer, you may find you have to wait, I joined this site to help, when possible. I was trying to explain why you may not be getting answers. And now that you have done nothing except be rude to someone who was trying to help you get answers, I wouldn't hold my breath about any further people putting themselves in the line of sight so they can be attacked.
  • Gary, Ever hear of PTSD?? Well, it's not always easy to handle. I deeply apologize if I was rude because anyone that knows me would say that I'm NEVER rude!! I simply got frustrated. I also didn't realize there was a way to read just new posts. It's fine if no one likes me now or responds to me, I'm frankly used to it, but rude and attacking-that was not intended!! It was juvenile and again I apologize to you and everyone. My emotions are running very high (and no, I don't need a psych eval before my placement, they know that I'm in treatment. Ty though for your reply and good luck with your revision!).. Whether or not you forgive me isn't going to make or break me but I truly am sorry.I still find my question to be very clear (Can anyone give me their experiences with scs?)
  • Nearly everyone on this site is dealing with extreme pain, and we all will sometimes get a little angry with our posts. I wish I had any help for your problems, but I believe others with more info will chime in and try to help. Perhaps you can get more info by typing key words in the blue box at the top of the page. I've found that sometimes you can gain more info there, at least it will give you some reading material until someone chimes in to try to help.

wishing all a less painfull night.
  • you and all a less painful night as well!!!
    Thank you Gary!
    “To err is human; to forgive, divine”
  • Sorry I have not been around the last few days. Lets just say that my SCS is such a success, that I have been working 8 hours 4 days a week on my feet the entire 8 hours with no break. I have also been training and riding horses 3 to 5 hours a days 3 days a week and today I cleaned, prepped and shipped a friends' horse headed to Hawaii. On top of that I cooked dinner, edited some video to a DVD, cleaned out the hot tub, did dishes and laundry.

So if that doesn't give you an idea of the miracle of my SCS.

Before it, I could not stand nor walk for more than a few seconds before pain stopped me cold. I couldn't clean house nor even entertain the thought of doing anything other than sit and watch TV or read.

I no longer take or require narcotic pain meds and I have dropped my doctor visits from 1 every week, to 1 every 3-6 months.

Hope this is what you were hoping to read.

• I want one, unfortunately they've decided I'm not allowed yet (insurance). You've done more in one day than I've done in a year.
  • I agree with Gary! You've done more in one day than I've been able to do in a year!!! The couch has my imprint I think and I walk with a cane (when I can walk). I have to try this! It's my last chance at a real life!! I failed all meds for nerve pain and I'm on narcotics. You've renewed my hope, I'm just so scared of surgery and recovery!!! However, if I can live like you, it will be worth it all!!!
  • That in our chase of regaining a functional life, the right tool has to be found at the right time along with the support of the right doctor. With that combination, then our minds become our only limitation. Once past that, then more and more things become possible for us once again!

• don't we all no matter what? i freaked out before my rn license test, when I gave birth twice naturally, when I moved 750 miles away from my hometown...and so on.

i think it's normal but let's put it in perspective like the above. think of all the jumps you've had in life and this is one.

i tried to avoid an scs because it was a last resort and until i accepted that i wasn't ready. I can tell you I was so so so bad in leg and back pain. for example i couldn't sit for dinner...

i had an ordeal they went to high the first implant the second time we found my leg and back but it got infected and had to be removed. after 4 long months i had it placed again with 2 leads stayed awake to get it best we could and 2 1/2 yrs later i love it!! it was worth everything i went through..PERIOD!!

although I don't have the function of the previous poster which is important to note most do not but if they didn't have these i don't know what i would have done, my nerve pain in the left leg was insane!!!

they can give you something prior just ask the anesthesiologist tell them you are very nervous and remember everyone is different. there is nothing wrong with that...
    good luck and take care of you
  • Sex with a scs is no problem for me provided I turn it off prior to action. I think that was one of your worries? The biggest problem was my partner being afraid he would hurt me.

Sounds like you need to ask your doc for some preop Valium to help with anxiety prior to the procedure. I can recall hyperventilating all the way to the hospital for some procedures and surgeries!
  • Just letting you know I wasn't saying you'd need a psych eval because of PTSD, it's an insurance requirment. Unfortuatly it doesn't really matter that much what your doctor thinks of your mental health or if you're in treatment, you still have to be evaluated. I assume it can be appealed if you "fail" and what type of evaluation depends on your insurance. I just had to take the MPI test, which is a several hundred question pencil and paper test that measures things like anxiety, depression, and somatization. I think I only talked to the psychologist for 3 minutes....not a very effective way to measure someone's mental stability in my opinion, but at least I didn't have to lay on a couch and talk about my childhood lol
  • i don't turn mine off or i couldn't anyways

i did some test thing too, couldn't finish it though due to the sitting thing.they are looking to see your mental state but also drug seekers, workman's comp people, not all, some and so on...... some of the questions were so bizarre,

just following up
  • momofthree: did you have your implant? If so, can you give us feedback on your experience? I'm curious because I'm supposed to have my implant procedure any day now - waiting on the Doc's office to call with the date and time. I have mixed emotions about getting the SCS as my tests results were not fabulous but I did get some relief, especially first thing in the mornings when I wake. Usually the first thing I do when I wake is grab the bottles of Exalgo and percocet - 2 x 12 MG of Exalgo and 15MG of percocet (no tylenol). But I usually have to take a second dose of percocet very shortly thereafter to be able to begin my day. Oh, yeah, with a muscle relaxer shooter 4 x per day. I'm just absolutely miserable. My back pain has been ongoing for years, actually started being very painful 21 years ago! Anyway, I hope you've had your procedure and you are adjusting well. I look forward to hearing about your experience.