Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

WARNING
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval
ATTENTION: All NEW MEMBERS
1) Your first discussion or comment needs to go through a moderator's approval process before it can be published.
PLEASE TAKE NOTICE
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.

I Hope It's Not Placebo, But ...

JennaJJenna Posts: 2
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:59 AM in Stop Smoking
Hello everyone.

This is my first post, but I have read these forums for months now because I have had chronic back pain for months.

It all started last spring. I was injured at the gym. Orthopedic said muscle strain--6 weeks to heal--but in six weeks my condition was worse, not better. By the end of the summer, I could not even workout anymore. The things I could do became more and more limited, and it seemed my entire life began to revolve around pain.

I had all the tests--MRI was normal. But I was in pain. Every day, all day sometimes. My mid-back would seize up. I had muscle rigidity, stiffness, burning, tingling, and ice-hot sensations. It hurt to sit for too long and it hurt to stand. It seemed anything could set it off.

Sometime in November, I began to look into chronic pain and smoking. I read many articles and statistics. I had smoked for 23 years. I smoked heavily these past two years--2 packs a day. On Dec 21st, I smoked my last cigarette. I have been using the e-cig.

I noticed a slight change in my pain the very first week. I still got the pain, but it was less intense and it didn't last as long. Also, I "recovered" more quickly. This past week, which is Week 2, the pain and intensity seem to get less every day, and I have barely been in any intense pain for almost 4 days now!

I can still feel the injury, and there are certain movements that still bother it. But it's a world of difference. I have hope now. I believe my body will heal now.

I just wanted to share this because I tried everything: trigger point massages twice a week, pain meds, NSAIDS, contrast therapy, and nothing has helped like putting out the cigarette.

I hope my post will encourage those of you to quit who have a hunch, like I did, that quitting will make a difference on your level of pain. I know there are many other good reasons to quit, but we are addicts, and sometimes it takes something like this to give an incentive.

advertisement

Comments

• Wanted to update my post ...

Today is 30 days without a cigarette.

My level of pain continues to improve gradually. The biggest difference that I have noticed is that my pain is no longer set off by every little thing I do. I can do many activities now that I could not do before without having to worry about pain afterward.

I still have bad days, but they are not as intense and much more manageable. I also have stretches of time now where I am completely symptom free.

The relief of my pain and symptoms has been a terrific incentive to stay quit. Every time I think about a cigarette, I can't help but to think about the pain I was in and how it has improved so much since quitting.

I would say my pain and symptoms have improved by 50% or more. I'm also sleeping better, 1-2 hours of extra sleep each night.

The e-cigarette has been very helpful. The first week was still rough and I had withdrawals. I bought my e-cigarette online at "halo." I get the e-liquid to go with it, and after paying for the device, it costs me about a dollar a day to use the e-cig.

That's it for now!