Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Severe Pain 2 months post-op Cervical Decompression/Fusion/Bone Graft

SpiritartSSpiritart Posts: 1
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:59 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
11/11/11, I had Spinal Fusion/Decompression on C-5,6 and 7. They took a bone from my hip for the graft. I have a titanium plate and 6 screws in place with the graft of my bone. Currently I take 10 (15 milligram each) Oxycodone a day. It's only been 2 months since my surgery, but the pain in so intense and has gotten worse! I also smoke...understanding that the healing process is affected by nicotine. Unfortunately, I have yet to quit. BUT, I am so very concerned about the level of pain I am having...WITH all this yucky medication in me! It's absolutely horrible! I also am experiencing numbness in my hand, severe muscle spasms, pain down the arms, and occasionally experience a strange buzzing/numbness/burning in the back of my neck where the titanium plate is. I am going crazy here! Wondering if anyone has had to have another surgery so close to the first.

• First let me say welcome to spine-health. Have a look around and you will find others whom had a rough go, from the surgery. The one thing that is important is that you quit smoking, to help the fusion process. What is the surgeon saying about the level of pain your in. I can tell you I had a hardware issue, but it couldn't be removed until the fusion was complete. Hence a reason you stop smoking. But there are also other reasons you could be in so much pain, depending on the severity of the symptoms when you had the surgery. When is the last set of x-rays to check the fusion process? Do you have a good muscle relaxer your taking. A lot of cervical spine issues in my experience are dealing with muscle spasms, thus the muscle relaxer. Did you do any PT following the surgery? My best suggestion is to call the surgeon and explain the pain your having.

Many here including myself keep a pain journal, to see what we were doing that day and see if there are any patterns, but also helps to know exactly the pain we are having. Just thought I would stop and welcome you to spine-health. Keep us posted on how you get along.
  • Spiritart I can not comment on your surgery as I am waiting for anterior C5/6 decompression with fusion similar to what you had later this year.

What may help is I am recovering from L5/S1 decompression I had 6 weeks ago on 17th nov 2011,similar to your date I had been taking Baclofen for the muscle spasms in my leg and could not have lived without this,I tried many meds but this is the only one that worked and had no adverse affects on me,it never totally controlled them but made things manageable, i continue to take baclofen as I still have trouble with my leg as the nerves had been squashed.

I also had a fusion and believe it will take several months to fuse properly,I am getting sharp pains when I turn which make me shudder,I was expecting this at this stage,I see my surgeon on 17th jan so will discuss this then.

Hope you get better soon,Des.