Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

j.howiejj.howie Brentwood, Ca., USAPosts: 1,732
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:59 AM in Recovering from Surgery
I've been MIA for a while. For me unless it's taking a break from S.H. Or I'm out living my life. Or things aren't going well for me.
Unfortunately for me, it's the later.
I knew what I was in for on the 2 level fusion. But I didn't have a clue ( nor did the surgeon) what the second part of the surgery was going to be like.
It turned out that the exploration and decompression and laminectomy of L4 to S1. (Of prior surgery) was way more than he anticipated. And it took 5 1/2 hr.s once he got in there. I just turned 63. and this has knocked me on my ass and then some. And I'm really having a hard time shaking off the anesthetics from being out so long. And I just don't know what to expect. This was no Micro-D.
All I know is I hurt like hell, and it feels like they cut a chunk of my brain out. And I just don't feel like being on this computer.
Click my name to see my Medical history
You get what you get, not what you deserve......I stole that from Susan (rip)
Today is yours to embrace........ for tomorrow, who knows what might be starring you in the face!

• Come on Jim, you're ok and this is normal. You just forgot and maybe this time just feels worse since you've been through so much prior to this surgery.Plus throwing the holidays in there so soon after surgery doesn't help! Anyway, remember this is major surgery, seriously takes time and rest to begin to heal. You are barely out of surgery and have a long way to go. Don't check out when this happens, check in for support, thats what your spiney friends are here for!

I think it took me the first 6 months to get my head on straight and enough strength to begin thinking maybe I's survive this ordeal.My dr told me it would take a long time, at least 2 years yet I never really thought any surgery could really take that long...well, it did! And there were days I thought I'd never get as good as I am today. So I am here to tell you to do exactly what your dr tells you, keep your hopes up, better days are around the corner!

Keep in touch and let us know how you are, for better or worse, we've been there and done that so we understand! Rest and take care!
  • dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 9,875
    I read this thread several times. Over the years, I have come to better understand who both of us are. We both have had some very rough times, but we've always bounced back.

We both value family so very much and would do anything to protect them.

But things do get to us, they wear us down, they start to chip away at our armor trying to drag us down. So, we need to be strong all the time, not to allow this to happen.

Jim, my friend, you have had some really rough times and now is just another one. You will come throug, just as you always have.

After all, you are Grizzly-Adams Jim, the Mountain Man!
    Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com
  • sunny1966ssunny1966 VIRGINIAPosts: 1,385
    I'm sorry you're having such a rough time of it. I hope that you start improving real soon. I can tell you're down and out but just remember that soon it will be behind you. Just got to keep moving forward and soon you'll be good as new. (Pep talk over--lol)

I know it's easy for me to tell you it'll get better since I've never been through it. I just hope the pain gets better soon and that you have maximum pain relief.

Thinking of you and wishing you a better day.

• Just hang in there. What dont kill you will make you stronger, Good luck,
    Flexicore ADR 2004 resulting nerve damage l4l5 Fusion 2006 same level, 2009 hardware removal with lami !
    2012 scs implant ,
  • Lets face it, any surgical procedure is stressful - especially one that's major, and spinal surgery certainly falls into that category. Different chemicals are pumped into one's body in the OR and for a while afterwards, and they can have an effect on how you feel mentally. The pain. The risks, not knowing you'll you'll be postop. The invariable frustration of having limitations imposed on you during the long recovery. All these can conspire to make you feel like you're not yourself. give it time, Jim - I know it's hard - and you may eventually feel like your old self again. Worst case, even if your activities remain limited, with time you'll probably feel better. Hang in there! >:D< , Ess
  • I am six days post-op and hear everything you are saying. This is my fourth major surgery in the past 13 months and I am still stuck in a brain fog from the first. Outwardly I look good and everyone assumes that I must be feeling that way, as well. I want to scream, "I'm not okay!" but I cannot generate the physical or psychic energy to do so.

Know that you are not alone.
  • j.howiejj.howie Brentwood, Ca., USAPosts: 1,732
    I don't know many that have this mental problem with anesthetics. But I do know a few. And most were out for a long time. Who knows what goes on in your unconscious mind that could carry on to you long after your conscious again?
    I've only had 1 person on the forums that had this problem. And she passed away (Susan, aka.,stockbroker) R.I.P. And the others I know had non-spine related surgeries that were long surgeries.
    All others probably think we're crazy.
    I think it's something you have to experience to understand.
    Good luck, Jim
    Click my name to see my Medical history
    You get what you get, not what you deserve......I stole that from Susan (rip)
    Today is yours to embrace........ for tomorrow, who knows what might be starring you in the face!