Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Inversion Table..Good or Bad?

EZmoney36EEZmoney36 Posts: 3
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:59 AM in Lower Back Pain
I am a long time follower to this forum, but only recently joined. I had my L5-S1 microdiscectomy back in November of 2009. I am 31. I am happy to say that I am doing very well since the surgery. Life is back to normal, with one exception, I go to the gym constantly to keep myself healthy and strong. Exercise and staying active with this injury is a must in my book! If I sit around and do nothing for a couple of days, my back pain returns.

Anyway, my question is this... Does anyone use an inversion table to relieve their lower back soreness? I still get sore and a good stretch seems to cure things. At the gym I sometimes just hang from the pull up bar to "decompress" everything, and feel much better. So would hanging upside down help things even more? I would like to get some feedback before I pull the trigger on of these expensive machines.
Any info would be great and thanks in advance!

• Anyone have any thoughts?
  • Hi there,

I would check with your doctor.
    But, my own surgeon said they are fine to use (I've had 2 MD's at L5S1). He said they wouldn't help my herniated/ruptured disc but they can tend to provide temporary relief to some people who have bulging or narrowing disc space.

I say temporary b/c once you stand up, gravity is back at it.

My husband loves it and thinks it's relaxing.
    For me, it's ok but I find I get a head rush and my circulation is poor so my feet go numb quickly.

I think it's personal preference. I would start with gentle inversion and have someone present in case you need help. Also, before purchasing, you might want to see if you can borrow one or use one that a friend has. You may not like it.

We were lucky that we were able to borrow one and then gave it back. From there, someone who bought one and didn't like it, just gave theirs to us. But I think my husband used it once so glad we didn't spend any money on it.

Hope that helps.
  • I suffered a L5S1 in 2011 and have an inversion table. I used it from the time of my injury up to my surgery date. If it's been 2 years since your surgery then table will help with ongoing spinal decompression. I wouldn't use it for 3-6 months after a surgery. Only once you've built up your core strength. Follow the guidance of your PT. They have years of experience. I support your strive to exercise as that is now a MUST in my life too. However, specifically Core strengthening, stretching and Hydration.
    hope this helps
  • I actually bought my own inversion table after doing some research online.

I am 33 years of age and have T4 T5 disc degeneration. It would appear that working fitting windows all my adult life has left me in the condition that I am now in, and now I am unable to work.

At the moment I use BuTrans patches for the pain, but I find that by using my inversion table every day that it definitely gives me some relief - especially in the morning when I am sore getting out of bed.

I haven't had surgery on my discs (which is in the thoracic region and not the lower back like yours) as here in the UK they do not recommend surgery until you are much older. But yes, I do feel the benefit of the inversion table and the good overall stretch it gives you. It does take some time to get used to the feeling of being upside down, but I am very much used to it now and wouldn't be without it.

I have actually written a bit of a blog on my back and how I use my inversion table, so check it out if you are interested. The link is in my signature below.

Good luck.

• My PM Doctor suggested I try one out. I've only had mine for about a month, so the verdict is still out on whether its helpful. It does feel good when your on it. I bought mine at Walmart. It only cost a 100 dollars, so the investment was pretty minimal.

• jerrybrownltjjerrybrownlt Posts: 1
    edited 03/05/2014 - 8:03 PM
    I suggest you look on the product and see if there is a contact number for the manufacturer. Chances are they can send you more instructions.

I've used on once, trying it out. The one I used buckled the feet in at the bottom. You use your arms to tilt back. You can also lean all the way upside down, but I recommend having a spotter there before you attempt that.

Here is a URL that shows some of the exercises used on the inversion table. It shows you the table in use. Just take things slow. Also I've seen the inversion table on infomercials.

Link removed, solicitation not permitted.Please read the Forum rules
    Post Edited by Liz The Spine-Health Moderator Team
  • I hated my inversion table! I know some swear by them. I purchased mine from Craig's List (USA) it was 'as new' still in its box. After 6 months of occasional use I sold it on the same site for the same money. Nothing lost ;-)

If you do buy one please follow the instructions & take it slow. You are not supposed to go straight to complete inversion. You can do damage! Please check with your doctor first.
    Osteoarthritis & DDD.
  • I like mine. It really helps with loosening muscle spasms, and stiffness. I haven`t used mine lately because my knee is hurting but once that clears up I will return to using it. I am 280lbs, so I needed one that would handle that weight. Go to Amazon, they have all the brands. It was less than $200 with prime shipping. It folds up nicely and is well built. Go slowly at first, I have no problems with it, but my wife and daughter get dizzy and do not use it. Hope this helps.