Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Oily skin and hair 2 months post-op T9 T10 T11 spinal fusion

emuhlee23eemuhlee23 Posts: 1
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:59 AM in Recovering from Surgery
Has anyone else experienced excess sweating and oily hair and skin post-op? For the first month post-op I experienced extremely dry hair and excessive hair loss but now my hair and face become extremely oily about 20 minutes after showering. I have always had dry skin and just find this change to be strange. Any comments or advice would be greatly appreciated!

• I wondered if you are taking any steroids or if you were on long term steroids preop and then suddenly had to stop for surgery? Steroids are generally considered a no-no for up to 2 years after fusion(inhibits fusion) but sometimes given for pain flare-ups, etc. Are you taking any new supplements to encourage fusion? Did your dr. put you on a new vitamin pill or b-complex supplement?
    I don't know your sex or age, but if you're female, are you close to menopause? Maybe that's what it's coming from. Just my random thoughts!

Ask your doctor or doctor's nurse if they've had other patients complain of it. I'm guessing they will say no because often it's not brought up, but always good to ask if it's such a drastic change for you.

When I couldn't wash my normally oily hair after surgeries, I bought no water type hair wash. There's a particular brand I like, it is basically powder with a citrus scent in an aerosol bottle. It definitely helps with oil. There are many brands like Rock Star and can be purchased at big department stores in the hair products area or at beauty supply stores. Hair salons sometimes have it but I find it harder to get there.

• This is a normal issue even when I take shower my skin get dry and after few minutes its come normal. Avoid oily things avoid oily foods thats the main reason i guess now a days many women facing this problem the best way is contact with your doctor and ask him about your problem.
  • A friend of mine was having the sweating and oily skin issues when she blew out a disk in her lower back (sorry, I don't know which disk). It was so bad she was constantly wiping her face and said there was no point in putting on make-up. I had never heard of this symptom when she told me about it, so I find your comments very interesting. Sorry I have no answers for you, but just wanted to let you know that this is now the 2nd time I've heard of it.

The hair loss....well, surgery wreaks havoc on your body and hair loss can be caused by a traumatic event. It doesn't matter if your brain thinks the surgery was or wasn't traumatic, it's what your body thinks. A dermatologist once told me that this can occur for 6 months out, then your body will begin to recover.

Take care!