Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Spinal Cord Stimulator

MomofthreeboysMMomofthreeboys Posts: 73
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:59 AM in Spinal Cord Stimulation
I have had a very bad attitude here because of pain, fear, PTSD and loneliness. I'm going to reach out one last time, try to be clear and concise, and also be kind. I am usually a very kind person and I fear I have tarnished that, in my own eyes (this displeases my Christian views). I have apologized and will try to move on. I am simply trying to get more information from others that have actually EXPERIENCED the scs. I have had my trial last month and I really liked it. Jan. 10th I go to finalize and schedule my surgery. I hate everything about surgery!!! I am so scared and I guess I am just reaching out. Please let me know if you like your spinal cord stimulator and why or why not and any complications. Thank you very much!

• Hey Cyndi!

I had two trials-one medtronic and one boston scientific. I have a boston scientific and it gives me about 50% relief from nerve pain in my legs. It does not help my back pain at all. It does make the nerve pain bearable on most days. It took a few months for me to really get into the routine.

I am glad that I have my stimulator(most of the time) and I'm glad that you had a positive trial. I hope it helps you get control over some of your pain and then you can work on other things in your life.

My complications with SCS: some medical professionals think it's just the most wonderful device and relieves all pain. Airport pat-downs don't bother me at all, in fact, I usually get through the line quicker than my family who wait in the regular line. Some stores security sensors give me additional stimulation, but I've learned to turn off stim prior to going to those stores or run through the sensors, lol. I am 2 years out and really the side effects are no big deal anymore. My biggest complaint at this point is sometimes I'm a bit lazy and don't like to charge the scs.

It took me a long time to choose the scs. I wanted to make sure no more corrective surgeries were needed. I also tried every nerve pain medication my dr. would prescribe just to make sure that a scs was my last resort. I feel like too many people(and that some dr.s present it like this) think it's a quick, easy, fix when it's really a life-long commitment.

SCS saved my life as I was suicidal due to the nerve pain. I developed an unrelated medical condition that needed an MRI but couldn't because of the scs. However, if I had to do it over again, I'd still choose the SCS for my condition.

Good luck, I hope you get relief quickly!
  • Cyndi, I have severe Neuropathy in both of my feet and legs. I have been on Lyrica and morophine and hydrocodone and numerous other meds- for a long time with very little relief. I was soo tired of the meds and the rotted out stomach from the meds I decided to finaly try the SCS cause I couldn't keep up working at this pace (and Its has been hell to keep working, if it wasn't for the insurance , i would have filed along time ago for SSD).

There is nothing to the surgery is very simple. They take you in the room and give you a mild sedative and antibiotics through your IV. He will give you a local and you feel nothing. You are semi-awake the whole time so they can ask you to help them to get the proper placement of the probes.(a few claim they had pain, hell- tell the Dr, he'll give you more Local, if you don't say something, how are they to know your in pain) Thats all there is too it. Mine took about 1-1/2 hours and 45mins in the waiting room. You will be sore for 2-3 days from the incision, but they gave me oxy for the pain and it was almost no pain at all. I took 2 weeks off from work , but i could have went back to work on the 4th day, but i decided to waite and not take a chance of moving the leads.

After 6 days they had me come in and take the staples out and that was it a few days later I went back to have some adjustments made to my progran .

It's really no big deal, you are letting your fears get in your way. Believe me, I have had way more pain from smaller surgeriesand stitches, but I wouldn't hesitate to have to do this over again if I had too.

Just remember don't do any lifting, raising you hands above your head, or bend over too fast for a few weeks (to help the probes-leads) to scar in and stay permanent.

The whole procedure is worth it to most people. but you should know by now if it is going to help you after your trial.

I had a Boston Scientific put in with 2 leads and it has help me alot.

God luck to you and stay possitive about the whole thing.

• Don't forget to ask if your dr. will allow you to use ice packs immediately after on the road home and during the first couple of night. You can buy instant chemical ice packs in any pharmacy section and have it ready to activate in the car. I found that extremely helpful!
  • Hi Cyndi
    I have a scs, since May of 2010. I didn't have any complications.. I worried ok freaked when I was told I'd be awake, but turned out to be a twilight sleep, I was awake enough to tell them they hit the right spot & then they knocked me out. I thought the trial was worse then the perm one, worrying about pulling out the lead. Recovery went good, other then sleep, they told me I couldn't sleep on my stomach, as I was told with the trial one,, so probably worst part for me, I can't sleep on my side as my arms kill me, oh well won't get into all that. Although I did have it implanted with my lumbar & leg issues.
    In 4 months/May it'll be 2 yrs I've had it implanted,, does it help me now? no, I have it shut off often, I'm still taking, actually a bit more meds then when I had it implanted. My back has gotten worse & the pulse of it just irratates me more, But it did help me for awhile, my battery is implanted-in my right lower back/buttock area, I heard the muscle pocket where battery is implanted takes a long time to heal, but that area is still very sore & sensitive. If I wasn't so sick of pain, my initial lamenectomy surgery in o7, and all the shots & tests/procedures/scs/Radiofrequency following,, I'd have them remove the battery & lead,,
    but the battery will die out some yr & instead of having them replace with a rechargeable battery, I will have it removed if not before then..

But Please as bad as that may sound,, don't let it scare you into trying it,, Everyone is different,, You asked & I was being honest,,, I haven't had much luck with anything I've tried,, I pray you will have much luck with it,, I did like it for awhile til my back seemed to get worse & it didn't help it anymore.

I just went Tues for a Lumbar Transforaminal injection,, am sore, got for the 2nd one the end of the month.. holding out hope that it helps.
    Wishing you all the luck in whatever you decide