Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Need help finding most affordable meds for my condition

nm156nnm156 Posts: 1
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:59 AM in Pain Medications
I have herniated discs and DDC w/ nerve damage from a bad surgery. I've been a pain mgt patient for 12 years and managed to stay active and working until a surgery on both feet a few years ago that went very, very badly.

I'm on medicaid w/ a drug plan but quickly hit the "donut hole" so I now have to pay for my meds completely out of pocket.

I have a great pain mgt doc (same one for 10 yrs now) and she'll work with me, I just need some help finding the right alternatives to my current meds (which work fine but can be expensive).

I'm currently on Morhpine Sulfate ER and roxicodone / oxycodone for breakthrough. My cost for a month of generic is around 250.00. The problem I run into is when the pharmacy only has brand and the cost doubles to 500.00 per month.

I've been on methadone and roxicodone before but I really, really dislike methadone. It had side effects which I'd like to avoid. Unfortunately it's the only affordable alternative I know of.

I'd appreciate some ideas if anyone knows of a regimen that's less expensive. I have an appt this afternoon and I'm online researching as much as possible before then.

• MetalneckMetalneck Island of Misfit toysPosts: 1,364
    Unfortunately ... I was in your same situation as you, less than a year ago. My PM doctor was able to get Medicaid to approve Kadian .... If that won't fly and you must go out of pocket .... you are correct that Methadone gives (me) the most pain relief bang for the buck.

Nice to meet you, Welcome to the Spine Health Forums,

Spine-health Moderator
    Welcome to Spine-Health  Please read the linked guidelines!!

• hi and welcome to the forum! we are here to offer you support and answer what questions we can. i am sorry i do not know of any meds to help fill the gap..i too use mophine sulplate ER and find it very effective..i know it is very expensive!! good luck as you try to find a way around this problem!! stop by the forum anytime! keep us inforumed.. Jenny
  • Hi there,

That is WAY much more than you need to be paying...

I have no health insurance right now.

You need to call your nearest Sams club...(By law, you do NOT have to be a member to use their Pharmacy)

I am prescribed per month:
    60 pills of the 30mg generic MSContin (1 every 12 hrs)
    60 pills of the 15mg generic MSContin (1 or 2 added daily)
    240 pills of the 5mg generic OxyIR (for breakthrough)
    60 pills of 15mg generic Flexeril
    30 pills of 10mg generic Ambien

All 5 of these prescriptions cost $130...

The two Morphine Sulfate prescriptions and my OxyIR are $104

So...I would say call there first...(I drive 30 minutes to get to mine but I've been using them for over 10 years before I moved across town)..

Walmart is your next choice....but Sams club is usually cheaper with their pricing.

You should NOT be paying so much for these!...

Good luck..
  • If you are suffering from pain or any other health issue then try to meet the social health institutes which will help you to cure your health issue and will support you without taking any money.
  • Hi,

That is a LOT of money to be paying out of pocket, I know that I could never do that! Well, for 2 years I was on Methadone HCL for my chronic pain, and for a month supply it was like $23.00 or maybe even less. Not everyone likes Methadone, and it definetely works different than most opiods, but as far as inexpensive, Methadone is it!
  • SavageSavage United StatesPosts: 5,427
    ..and I really don't know, except to say that I recently met with..I forget title..not social worker.. but like that..with my county ..to help me figure out what services are out there to give me a hand with.. anything.

It might be worth investigating with someone who knows way around for help that is not common knowledge.

Best of luck and let us know what you find out and how you are doing.
    Spine-Health Moderator
    Please read my medical history at: Medical History

• I have Kaiser insurance which I thought had the LOWEST prescription prices in town (Kaiser is non-profit). Because of this post I decided to call and Sam's club is about 2/3's the cost of my pharmacy. I pay $270 for 45 mg MS Contin 3x a day, and Sam's club is $170. THANK YOU!!! I'm on disability and the med costs are a killer. This is a huge help. I was actually cutting back trying to make my meds last longer.

I don't know if I have to buy a membership, but even if I do it is still cheaper over the long run.
  • I have talked to the pharmacists at my local Walmart and they make sure to keep getting the name brands that keep my costs WAY down.

You said that at times your pharmacy does not have the generic so you have to pay double. I call in a week ahead of time as the pharmacist and I set up for me to do to be sure they or will get the generic meds for me.
    L1 - S2 "gone" useless in 1 way or another. DDD. RA. Bone Spurs. Tons of nerve damage/issues. Stenosis. Both knees replaced. 50 yrs old. I had a great fall (hence my user name) at age 41 and it has been a domino effect every since.
  • If I buy an upgraded $100 membership (one time annual fee) I get an additional 40% discount on all prescriptions bringing my total down to about $105. My Zanaflex is $13 vs. $31 at Kaiser.

I wish I had known about this sooner!!!
  • Sam's club couldn't fill my prescription for morphine. Their supplier was out of stock/backordered and they didn't tell me for 8 days! In a moment of desperation I ended up at Walgreen's and the pharmacist was so helpful! The prescription was going to be $199, which was a big savings over the $270 at Kaiser ($1 each). She signed me up for their prescription program at $20 a year, and I only paid $129! Less than Sam's Club. She told me if I keep in touch with her she will make sure she has enough on hand to fill my prescription.