Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

L5 S1 ALIF 3 month status report

64pvolvo1800664pvolvo1800 Posts: 250
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:59 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
Well, I saw my Ortho Surgeon this morning and the X rays confirm the fusion is looking consistent in flex and extension mode. All appears to be going well, the low back pain continues to be 60-70% less than before surgery, but the nerve pain/burning/shooting/etc down my right side continues.
Surgeon still says I am on my way to healing and this is all not unusual. Keep your hope he says.....

So, for now, I continue the Diclofenac, Prevacid, Percocet, Baclofen, Ultram, and Keppra, hoping to gain more relief as the days go on.

I am so sick of the narcotics or more importantly, the NEED to take narcotics, and the lack of improvement in the nerve realm.

Wife keeps telling me it's only been three months and she is correct. I was walking down the mall over the holiday cursing my leg when I turned a corner and almost ran into a wheelchair bound man. Talk about perspective?

I remain grateful to have pain in my extremities instead of missing extremities....

I'll continue to update as things change. Please keep me in your prayers and I will keep my hope alive for you all as well.

• i am one week from my ALIF remember how you felt ! i just hope i feel better soon .happy recovery
    1997 laminectomy
    2007 repeat laminectomy and discectomy L4/L5
    2011 ALIF {L4/L5/S1}
    2012 ? bowel problems .still under investigation
    2014 bladder operation may 19th 2014
  • Well, two weeks on the Keppra proved to be a horrible mistake. Confusion, agitation, and almost no consecutive hours of sleep......

Switched back to Lyrica 150mg twice a day and up to 450 a day in another week. What a difference in just two days :)

Looking forward to putting away the percocet within 30 days too, god willing and the crick dont rise as they say!

• Well, the 450mg of Lyrica began producing the same results as the Keppra. Went back to 300mg instead and that seems to be beneficial and tolerable.

Well, I had my 6 month checkup this morning and here's my status:
    Rt leg is still in nerve pain from the hip tot he toes including numbness, burning, wet sensation, shooting pain (much less thanks to lyrica), but this week the low back pain seems to have started to return. I did push myself building a fence this weekend so maybe that's on me ;(
    Dr says this is highly likely an L4/5 problem and possible foraminectomy (otomy?>) in another 6 months.

I also seem to have started getting the numbness back in both hands outer two fingers. Dr says that is highly related to the ACDF C456 stressing the C67 joint/nerve now 7+ years later.

Finally, my right foot (heel) has been sore and giving me fits first thing in the morning especially. Dr says this is probably Plantar Fascaiitis (sp) again and certainly feels like it from before the surgery in 94 for that on both feet. I'm flat footed as can be.

Sooooooo, long and short of it is...... I'm a mess and feel like instead of my coming 53rd birthday, it's more like 93rd

Bah Humbug.

• Volv,

This prob should have its own post but...

Im a swimming coach and 6 month post L5/S1. I have been very lucky to feeling nearlyyy back to normal with the odd ache and pain. The main issue I have is my tips of toes and hands are still cold/numb. So at the gym the other day a guy came in with a 1x1m cotton square and while he did his stretches he laid on it. I asked him about it and he said it was for helping with his numb feet? Any way as he was due in the pool he let me borrow it for an hour and asked I just lay on it. Now I've had my cold feet/hands for 10 months at this point but within an hour my fingers and toes were actually warm? When I stood up within 20mins I was back to as previous.

I wrote down the pad details as a Norstar magnetic Mini-pad.

The guy told me he got it from a japanese friend who said they have these magnetic sheets in most city hospital beds post recovery rooms as they aide circulation and bone growth. He's in for an L5/S1 in a week and was told more permanent effects take up to 7 weeks (hence he has it pre-op). As I told others I can't endorse something I don't understand but I can't ignore what 40mins on this sheet did for me. Im going to buy one so will let you know.

I hope somewhere something helps with your recovery.