Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Still have sciatica after microdiscectomy?

Andrew92AAndrew92 Posts: 3
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:59 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
Hello everyone, I'm having a little trouble post-op and wonder if anyone here would have any information.

I'm a healthy, 19 year old male with some congenital spinal stenosis and early last year herniated my L5/S1 disc. PT did not help so two weeks ago I got a microdiscectomy. I left the hospital later that day, but the next day, I noticed I still had some of the sciatic pain. Of course, this is normal, but now two weeks post-op it feels like it hasn't really improved from that point. It still feels a little better than it did before the operation, but it can get particularly bad in the early morning and nags at me a bit all day. I am off the steroid anti-inflammatories and taking about 1600mg Ibuprofen daily.

Although the pain is not excruciating, it is certainly sciatic pain and it worries me two weeks post-op because it's not making much improvement. I am particularly fearful because I am still very young and there are a lot of things I will never get to do if this doesn't improve. I know it's early in the recovery process, but inflammation should have subsided a bit by now, if that's the problem. I have been walking since day one and trying to slowly increase my activity level but maybe I've been pushing it. Should I expect this to get better on its own... and when? Do you have any advice?

Thank you, Andrew

• Andrew92 said:
    inflammation should have subsided a bit by now, if that's the problem.
    You'd be surprised. In my case, I had massive inflammation / edmea / swelling 3 and 4 weeks out of my L5-S1 microD.

An injection into that segment done under flouroscopy resolved my issues tho.
    On the sunny and mild Central Coast of California

L4-L5 endoscopic transforaminal microdiscectomy June, 2007
    L5-S1 endoscopic transforaminal microdiscectomy May, 2008
  • Update... It's been four weeks and the problem hasn't subsided. The pain in the morning is awful until I take some ibuprofen, and it comes back if I don't keep taking it. I still have a big swollen bulge on my back where the surgery was. If it is inflammation... does anyone have an idea of what to expect? I'm going to contact my surgeon tomorrow.
  • Going to suggest you contact your surgeon.
    No one can tell for sure but it could be scar tissues or you re-herniated.

I am having issues after a revision - not huge but tough pain in the middle of the night and upon waking mostly. Mine is mostly back but I do get leg pains and I had an MRI. It showed the disc is still degenerating and I have a lot of scar tissue so it is likely my pain is inflammation.

I'm going to see a Physiatrist (fiz-eye-a-trist) this week to see if he can help. I'm told that they treat total musclar-skelatal and will likely start with PT but can also offer a more 'hole' treatment plan working with various non-surgical treatments.

Good luck at the doctor. Hopefully he will offer to run another MRI for you to confirm that there is no re-herniation.