Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Should I take the surgery?

KcareKKcare Posts: 1
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:59 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
I was confirmed of DDD at L4/L5. The nerves is not damaged, but I cannot stand or walk long, barely 15-20min then I have to take a sit. I feel pain at buttocks and right leg. What upset me a lot is that I cannot hold my baby...he is only 4-month old.

The doctor suggested discectomy with partial nucleus replacement, a peek ball will be inserted between L4/L5. I was told discectomy alone will lead to high chance to herniation again. I did some research in the internet and found the nucleus replacement is still not widely adopted with Controversy.

Should I take the surgery, appreciated if any advice/experience to share. Thanks.

• Hmm, interesting treatment. I had not heard of nucleus replacement.
    As for the discectomy, you still will not be advised to hold a lot of weight. You will not be able to lift more than a gallon for a good 6weeks post op.

What other choices did he give you? Did you try physical therapy? Anti-inflammatory or steroid type injection? If there is no nerve damage, why is he suggesting surgery? What is the pain? Back or leg?

Have you tried another opinion?

Personally, lower back surgery should be a last resort. It is a slippery slope and while there is a time and place for it, I do raise an eyebrow when that is the first thing doctors suggest. It is not a quick fix by any means. It takes learning how to keep your core strong, learning not to bend, twist, or lift and if you have to, how to do it correctly.

I hope some of these questions help...
  • If you have any question about having the surgery then I suggest a second opinion. If you haven't tried PT, or pain management to see if any shots would help, I would suggest you talk to your primary doctor about that, and discuss your concerns about the surgery with you primary.

Take care,

4 level ACDF C4-C7 5-2-11, laminectomy & discectomy L4-L5 1/26/12, ALIF L4-5, L5-S1 12/10/12.
  • :''(

I have Degenerative disc disease, broad based herniations, foraminal narrowing, facet disease.
    I am in chronic pain to say the least, and I am trying to manage the pain first.

Like the others are saying, this should always be a last resort. If you have tried all else with nothing working. So far, I have done a large assortment of things, and am starting to look a laser surgery. I don't want a procedure that will knock me down, with a lot of risks. Did your doctor mention the pain is most likely not from the DDD, but nerve impingement? That being said they have a lot of minimally invasive things that can be done these day. Take care, and I hope things get better.
    Left foramina stenosis of L3/L4 (retrolisthesis)
    L2-ilaic revision fusion ( loose screws) with a laminectomy at L3 (cage at L3-L4)
    (PLIF) -@ L4/ L/5 - S1 (cage at L4/L5)