Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Swelling Poat ALIF

MarilyncrobertsMMarilyncroberts Posts: 3
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:59 AM in Recovering from Surgery
I had ALIF L-3l-4 on 01/10/2012. Went home on the third day. Having much abdominal pain and swelling. Also have lost sense of taste. Anyone else with this problem?

• My mom just had that procedure for l3-s1. She also had severe abdominal pain and swelling not just in her abdomen area but also in her legs and ankles. I don't believe she lost her sense of taste at all, but she did loose her appitite and lost some weight (she didn't have any to loose to begin with!)

You had the surgery on 1/10? Isn't today the 8th? Do you mean 1/1?
    ACDF C4-5 June 23rd, 2011

Another surgery in the near future. I am 26 years old.

Current Meds- Norco 7.5/325, Cymbalta 60mg, Gabapentin, Adderall 20mg
  • Hi Marilyn,

I had ALIF on 15th dec, and definitely experienced the abdominal pain and swelling. It had eased to the point of relative comfort by 2 weeks, and certainly felt much better by three weeks.

Did not loose my sense of taste, however do find that some medications have a definite taste altering effect, so hopefully that will pass when you can cut back on some meds.

Good luck, i hope relief is just around the corner.

• Had PLIF 12/2 then ALIF 12/12 2011. Not doing well. Abdominal pain and swelling and firmness around surgical site. Appetite almost non existent due to "gut" has still not returned to normal since the surgery. Lots of jello, yogurt. Meals result in great discomfort.
    I however Did not lose sense of taste.
    Still very weak and fatigue incredibly quickly.
    I was expecting to be doing a whole lot better by now?? PP
  • Sorry everyone! The surgery was 01/03, not tomorrow! Chalk it up to post-anesthesia fog! (Which is another thread altogether!). No BM since surgery and lack of eating is not helping.

Peeps...did you have two major surgeries in a week? I hope you regain some energy soon. I had three hip replacements within seven months last year, so I am ready not to be "post-anything".