Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Afraid to move after ACDF!! No idea what's risky.

BuelaBBuela Posts: 67
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:59 AM in Recovering from Surgery
I had 2-level ACDF last Tuesday (6 days ago by the time you read this).

I have a huge amount of tension in my shoulders and I finally realized this evening that I'm afraid of moving too much -- It's not pain that's holding me back from doing what I'd normally do to relieve that (such as rolling my shoulders and doing some very soft stretching), it's that I'm afraid that I'm going to damage something by doing "too much."

But I also recognize that my fear level of "too much" is likely far different than reality - I know that I can and should be doing at lease some movement, including to relieve this.

So I'm hoping to get some words of wisdom about how to know when something's ok or not, certain types of movements that are more risky (even things like, should I avoid doing self-massage too close to the DF site?), and any good general guidelines for movement after an ACDF.

• I barely moved my head at all pre op and post op, it wasn't until after 4 months of PT (post op) that I was able to move my head somewhat normally! My doctor told me no moving my head side for 2 weeks post op. Maybe you should call your doctors office and ask.

Also a muscle relaxer may help you.
    ACDF C4-5 June 23rd, 2011

Another surgery in the near future. I am 26 years old.

Current Meds- Norco 7.5/325, Cymbalta 60mg, Gabapentin, Adderall 20mg