Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement
advertisement
Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

How to deal with doc I am really upset with

PerseusPPerseus Posts: 17
edited 06/11/2012 - 7:59 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
I had a posterior cervical foraminotomy with revision C5-6 and fusion at C4-5. I had tried working with him but since surgery on 12/22, I have seen him ONE TIME! All other times I have seen the PA. It wouldn't be so bad but my right arm is paralyzed and he is not doing anything about it. I am supposed to see him in two days and now I can hardly look at him. He keeps saying that it will get better in 3-4 weeks, then 4-8, then 6, then 9 weeks, yet he has never done objective testing to see what nerves are involves etc. I am so mad that he screwed me up and will not even talk to me. I have a consult with a neuro in 5 days but I don't know of many surgeons who would be willing to take on a patient 2 weeks post op. I am tired of crying and being so depressed that I don't want to go on. I see no hope and don't know how much longer I can survive this mess. I have also found out that there is no help for those who have suddenly become disabled. I am loved by my husband but otherwise I feel like I've been put out like trash beside the curb. Few days are better and most are worse than this. I asked my doctor's office if his insurance policy provided any counseling or help for patients who have suffered unanticipated consequences and was told there was nothing. So he can muck me up and not provide any follow up therapy or support.

So how does one deal with a doctor/surgeon whom I despise and have only contempt for? He has shown no compassion or concern for me. And what if I cannot find another doctor willing to pick up where he left off? Needless to say, I am very depressed and feel that I have no where to turn. I cannot afford therapy.
advertisement

Comments

• you have had a heck of a time.
    so sorry u have to go through this.

first when u see the doc in 2 days be diplomatic which is very hard to do trust me i've freaked out with nothing good coming from it!

it's a very good and prudent thing to see a neurosurgeon, take your films. if u have not had a mri post-op ask for one. we have all dealt with idiots and 2 wks post-op is time for him to be concerned about your arm in my opinion. you might ask him for nerve conduction studies and emg's to be done

when i say diplomatic i mean that going in po'd and defensive will get you no where. he knows something happened and although it's unlikely a confession comes out of your appt he is obligated to help resolve the problem. although more surgery from him may not be an answer at this point.

if you cannot afford therapy that's fine ask for exercises you can do at home to work your arm, i know u said it was paralyzed but it may help. look at stroke patients who get paralysis some get alot back by working the arm/leg whatever the case may be. my mom had a big stroke and i know it's a different pathology the theory is the same...move it.

take care and even though its hard keep reading you are not alone my friend. feel free to pm me if you like i get the crushed insane nerve pain i've been dealing with for 5 yrs....
  • Did you see my other post/reply?

In addition, call them and let the PA or office know that you would like an appointment and you would like it to be with the surgeon and specify why.

Don't ask if you can meet with him directly, ask them when is he available to meet with you directly. This way you are not giving them a choice.