Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

How are we supposed to sit?

backkakebbackkake Posts: 5
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:59 AM in Lower Back Pain
What is the best way to sit?
When I'm at the computer I put the screen up on some books. I also do some of my study standing at a white board. And when I study I constantly do stretches.

But when I'm in the chair for a while either at the computer or hunched over notes my lower back goes bananas.

Is there something I can do or some product I can buy that goes on the chair?

I assume there's no complete fix on the logic that to sit in that position for such long periods of time is not what our bodies were designed for and the muscles that are being stretched just can't handle being stretched like that.
But what else can I do?

I'm doing exercises, stretches, standing when I can, computer screen higher than it used to be and sometimes changing the height of the seat(hips always above knee level according to a chiropractor).
Any other ideas for people who spend alot of time at a desk?

• I also sit at a desk all day and I drive the rest of the time. I have a small blanket that I use as lumbar support, in the car and at my desk, rolled up and pressed into my back - this seems to help me, although sitting is the worst thing for my back. I try to move about every 10/15 mins - just get up and walk about for a few mins, and NEVER hunch over anything!!

My employer is supportive so if it gets really bad I leave work early and go home and lie down for an hour or so - I'm just working out how to pace myself to be able to stay at work while I have this pain.

good luck!
  • Sound. So this is just something small that sits between the chair and my lower back. I'm guessing it just keeps your spine closer to its natural curve yes? as opposed to it being flat for too long which is the way my back would be now as I'm sitting at the computer. I'll try that. Also saw just there on another thread about sitting on a ball. I have a big exercise ball too might alternate with that. Thanks.

Also, does a lumbar support strap work here? I bought one recently for playing sports but I have never used it when doing anything that does not involve alot of movement.
  • Yes a small towel will do it, pillow, anything that is comfortable and supportive. I guess it depend on what is causing your pain. I carry a small blanket everywhere and don't care how silly it looks. It means I can sit twice as long. Really helps with driving too. I have a herniated disc so the extra support seems to relive the pressure on my spine from sitting.

I've heard about the ball too - not tried it yet. A friend has given me a chair cover that is a heat pad and an all over massager - can't wait to try that!

Not sure about straps or belts. My physio said I could use one, but I think it is important in the long term to keep your core muscles strong so use it occasionally but don't depend on it.

I'm going to try Pilates next :) In early back pain (5 months) so I'm still finding out and trying different things too.
  • I third the small towel/blanket. Works great.

I have L5-S1compression/bulge and was told sitting/rocking/bouncing on a ball would help strengthen the disc and help it naturally go back to a round shape. But it's very painful to sit on the ball for extended time. Definitely better than a flat chair but my back gets tired of it faaaast.

This discussion has been closed.