Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

how do you know you have a good pillow?

backkakebbackkake Posts: 5
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:59 AM in Neck Pain: Cervical
All the pillows I was going through were too low so I bought one recently and its much much better although I dont know if its perfect yet. I think my neck and back can still be sore. It might be too low. Problem is I turn sideways to lying on my back then back to sideways before I sleep. Whats the best way to sleep? Or does it make a difference? i tried conditioning myself to staying only on my back. But I move too much.
Is there something I could look out for that would tell me I need a higher pillow?
Its bloody awkward because it seems I could spend up to €60-80 on one and then find out its too high or too low. It would be grand if they were all cheap. Then I could just buy them all and try them all out.

• I actually signed on today to see if anyone else was searching for info on pillows. Prior to my C-5/C-6 posterior foraminotomy surgery 6 weeks ago I was going crazy buying pillows. Nothing was comfortable. After my surgery my son and dil gave me one that her bil ( a neurosurgeon) recommended and I love it. I can sleep on my back or side without pain now! The tag says it is an ARC 4 Life.
  • That's the same pillow I have and I love it! When you are sleeping on your back, your head is centered on the pillow and when you sleep on your side, you roll to the edge of the pillow (which is higher). Honestly, I think that since my surgery, I can sleep on any pillow and it doesn't matter. Prior to surgery, it didn't matter which pillow I used, I still had pain.
    2011 ACDF C5-6 for Spondylosis with Myleopathy
    2012 L4-5 herniated disc and hernated disc at C4/5 2013 Taking Amitriptyline for headaches
  • Hi all, I have one of those tempurpedic foam pillow and I love it. It forms to my head and neck. I have had it for a few years now. I actually have 2 so that I can take one when we go away, lol. We will see how laying on a different pillow is now that I have had the 4 level ACDF. But to tell ya the truth I don't know if I will go back to a regular pillow. Oh and by the way I got mine at Walmart of all places. It is shaped just like a real pillow with no dips. I have one of each but perfer the one with no dips. Hope everyone is healing and feeling better.
  • I literally have purchased approximately 30 pillows over the last year.

I use 2 memory foam pillows on each side and one regular pillow for my head, also a cervical role pillow thing I got from PT. The setup is ok, I still haven't found the perfect pillow.
    ACDF C4-5 June 23rd, 2011

Another surgery in the near future. I am 26 years old.

Current Meds- Norco 7.5/325, Cymbalta 60mg, Gabapentin, Adderall 20mg