Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Picking a baby after 2 disectomies

cikkccikk Posts: 3
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:59 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
Hi was wondering if there is someone that had a similar experience.

I had a disectomy on L5/S1 8 years ago. Last May I had my first baby through a C section (to minimise pressure on my back). A week after delivery I experienced pain of slip disk again. Did an MRI and found out that problem now was with L4/L5 level. I did a second disectomy on 21st October 2011 (almost 3months). Was wondering if I can pick up my baby soon :( Nurses advised me not to for several months. But it's driving me crazy.

Second question has anyone had another baby after 2 disectomies?

I am living a really frustrating life although pain seems to be away for now.

• my mom in law has has the same procedure twice a couple yrs apart and is doing great.

the doc may have given you weight limits if not pls ask the doc what they are so you maybe able to hold that little one!!!

you maybe able to get advice from your/a neurosurgeon as far as having another baby too...

take care
  • Thanks for your reply.

My appointment with the neurosurgeon is on 20th Feb. He is unavailable up till then :(

Will let you know what he will tell me.
  • HI,
    From reading your post, I got an idea! Is there a way that the baby could be positioned where you could more slide him/her to you, and then stand up holding him/her? I'm not a dr, but I would not bend over to pick him/her up and then stand with that extra weight on your lumbar area.... Like if the baby is on the changing table, would you be able to do it from there? Or lay on the bed to be close?
    Good luck and I hope you continue to feel better, but remember BLT...no bending, no lifting, no twisting!!
  • How heavy is your baby? I had a microD at L4L5 when my baby was 6 months old and was picking him up after a couple of weeks but in a modified way so my arms did the work and I held him tight into my chest. Putting him down was a bit trickier but we found our way and I was always careful and took my time. I couldn't put him in the car seat for ages though as that's when your lower back has to take the strain so we stuck with the pram as much as possible.

I went on to have another baby 2 years later with no further back issues in either the pregnancy or delivery, happy to chat more if you have any questions.

Good luck,

• thanks for your posts

@Frannie - I have to return to work in 1 months time and my only worry is that after work I need to carry the baby up the stairs (1 floor). I do not know if I can do this! Thanks for reminding me of BLT!!

@cheeka - My baby weighs almost 9kg. Your comment gave me a sort of encouragement, but I had 2 disectomies not 1! So I have to be extra careful. I am really really worried especially today that my child has the fever and I could not handle him....ohhh it makes me sooo sadd :(