Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Help 5 months post-op and still have numb legs

jbigdan1jjbigdan1 Posts: 16
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:59 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
Dose any one have any in put on why my thighs are still going numb. I had an L4-S1 Fusion with BMP. The DR. is going to relese me on the 18th and he said that the numbness may be permanet. I think he is pushing me out the door to fast.

• tough call.
    I had 2 Microdiscectomies and still have the same numbness 2 years later.

Did you numbness start before the surgery? If yes, they consider how long you have been numb for and 'how hard the hit' was if you ruptured a disc.

Is the numbness intermittent? If so, does ibuprofin or other remedies like icing or reduced activity lessen the impact of that?

Are you fusing? Has he conducted another MRI to ensure you haven't developed any additional herniations? (fyi - I have no idea if you can get an MRI after fusion so I may be mis-speaking)

He might be pushing you out the door too fast.

If you feel that way, ask him when you should connect back if you still have this issue. My surgeon released me about 4 months after my 2nd surgery but asked me to touch base with him at the 6 month mark.

And, if he releases you, ask him who you can reach out to in order to find out if the numbness is permanent. Maybe he can refer you to a Physiatrist.

I was told it can take up to a year to get feeling back. But I'm 2 years and didn't get any back. So I watch to make sure I'm not losing more.

I never had the test to see if it is permanent b/c I heard that it is not 100% accurate (though a fairly good indicator). The thing is, the numbness is nothing they can really treat but pain they can so it's good, before he releases you, to understand what options you have if after a year...this is as good as it gets. He should share that with you.

Also, I'd suggest getting a good GP. Mine has filled in the gaps when my NS is unavailable or thinks that seeing him would be a waste of money.
  • Yes the numbness was there before the surgery, He told me that it would go awy after surgery then every month I seen him he keep saying it would go away at four months he said it may be permanent.I worry about nerve damage. from my left knee down to my foot is real numb has not let up at all. when ever I go shopping I can't last I have to go out to the car and sat down for a little bit until it goes away then go back into the store. This is workers comp. I don't know how I can go back to work, Im a maintenance man I do heating and a/c work I have to climb ladders over 30 feet high Im scared for the first time in my life. I don't know what Im going to do from here. Again thanks for you help Dan