Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

New to forum

marcmmarc Posts: 1
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:59 AM in New Member Introductions
I was diagnosed 2 days ago with Grade 1 Spondylolisthesis with 3-4mm slipage of L5-SI. I am 38 years old, and started having pain after moving 9 months ago. Dr. seems to think I may have had this issue for my enitre life, and it just now started giving me problems. I am going to start PT in a couple weeks, and hopefully that helps.

I have a few questions that I didnt think to ask the doctor. 1-Would a chiropractor help? (maybe push the L5 back in place?) 2-Will this continue to slip farther, or will it stay as is? 3-I have a job which requires me to be on my feet most of the day, and as of now, I can't be on my feet for more than about 2 hours max. Is there anything I can do to help with the pain while I am on my feet? (I did ask this question, but he said I could maybe wear a brace, but he doesnt recommend that as it will weaken the core muscles).

Any help or advise is greatly appreciated.

• dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 9,865
    I hope you will find your stay here beneficial and informational.

I believe your doctor's action in sending you to physical therapy is the right thing to do at this point.

Personally, I do not think going to a chiropractor once you know you have a disc problem can help. In fact, unless the chiropractor is totally versed and trained in spinal disc issues, they can do more harm then go. Some of the manipulation if done incorrectly can create serious problems.

Being on your feet for extended periods of time can cause some additional comfort. Once you have spinal issues, almost anything done for extended periods can lead to discomfort.

I tend to agree that wearing a back brace is not in your best effort. Years ago (1978) I wore one before I had lumbar surgery and had to wear one almost 6 months post surgery (those days of treatment are long over). I was left with core muscles that were next to none.

Depending on the degree of disc problems, many times conservative treatments can help. Physical Therapy is just one of many. Spinal injections is another option. I would explore every conservative treatment before even thinking of surgery.

But the bottom line lies with your doctor. I can give you my personal opinion based on my own experiences as many others will do here. But none of us are medical professionals, so just take our input as for what it is, input.

Many many people with disc problems have found ways to treat and correct the situation without surgery.

Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com