Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

SS Approval

laga77llaga77 Posts: 33
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:59 AM in Health Insurance Issues
I applied back in Sept. Today, I went to pay some bills from my online banking account and there was a deposit from SS. Went to the check status page on the SS site and all it says is a decision has been made and I will be notified by mail. I have severe DDD in both my lumbar and cervical spine along with severe arthritis in my right elbow. These along with a knee, hip, and Achiles tendon replacement all from thirty years of doing concrete work. I need at lease a three level fusion in my lower back but I am waiting to go as long as I can before the surgery because they can`t guarantee it will work. Last Fri I got approved for my disability pension for the carpenters union so it has been a good week for me. Maybe now I can get some sleep without having to worry about money, and just worry about the surgery.

• Congrats on the SS! I applied and was accepted and had a check in 5 weeks!Now you can relax about the cash a bit, and concentrate your energy on surgery worry! Hope all goes well...
  • SpineAZSpineAZ WiscPosts: 1,084
    Congratulations. Do you have health insurance? At some point you'll be eligible for Medicare, depends on the date SS determines you were disabled and your benefit effective date.
    2 ACDFs, 2 PCDF, 3 LIFs; Rt TKR; Rt thumb fusion ; Lt thumb arthroplasty; Ehlers Danlos 
  • Yes I have insurance. Since I am now on a pension I have to pay for the insurance but it is still very reasonable for both my wife and I. I have not gotten the letter from SS yet so I do not know the date they determined disability, but they paid me from Sept when I applied. I believe I will become eligible for Medicare in about two years.
  • SpineAZSpineAZ WiscPosts: 1,084
    You become eligible for Medicare after 24 months of SSDI. If they determined your date of disability to be in March of 2011 your waiting period for SSDI would be April, May,June, July and August with SSDI beginning in September. If your SSDI begins Septebmer 2011 you will receive your 24th month of SSDI in September 2013 and thus be eligible for Medicare October 1, 2013.

Please note the Medicare is ONLY for you unless your spouse is age 65 or older so she can get Medicare on her own. Medicare is not a family benefit it only way, it only covers you. Some pension programs will allow you to go on Mediare and your wife to remain on your employment/pension based insurance.

In my case my employer retains me as a disability retiree for the remainder of my life. When I am eligible for Medicare my medical plan requires that I accept Medicare and they pay for a Medicare advantage plan. My husband can be insured under my employer until he reaches age 65 at which time he must also elect Medicare.

In order to know if your medical plan mandates you accept Medicare you'll want to get a copy of the exact medical health insurance plan under which you are covered and look for information under "coordination of benefits" or "effect of Medicare eligibility on your coverage". For my employer's health plan it's under it's own section "Coordination of Benefits" within the Summary Plan Description.
    2 ACDFs, 2 PCDF, 3 LIFs; Rt TKR; Rt thumb fusion ; Lt thumb arthroplasty; Ehlers Danlos 
  • Our coverages are very similar.
  • SavageSavage United StatesPosts: 5,470
    ..on getting SS approved!

That will definately be a noticable load off your shoulders. :)
    Good luck as you continue to work out the decisions with surgery!
    Spine-Health Moderator
    Please read my medical history at: Medical History

• On getting approved for SSD.
    Also with you getting your pension without doubt takes a load of your mind on paying the monthly bills.

Again congrats and relax.