Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Hardware Removal Surgery Jan. 23rd

krafcijnkkrafcijn Posts: 6
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:59 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
It is scheduled. I will be having the hardware from my 2 level fusion (L4-S1) removed on Jan. 23rd. Just curious if anyone else has had their hardware removed and what the recovery and hospital stay was like.

Any information would be great.

Thank you

• I am still trying to decide if I want to have mine removed or not. Please keep us updated. It might help me decide what to do! Good luck and stay strong!
  • Honestly, it was a walk in the park compared to the surgery to put the stuff in! I would have been just fine with an overnight stay(had some other complications.) One benefit(other than getting ridding of too large, loose, or offensive hardware) is that it allows the surgeon to directly visualize the site. For me, it really was an easy surgery with minimal pain.

Good luck, I hope it is as easy for you as it was for me!

• How long was recovery time? how long will I be off work (desk work with flexible boss) That is my biggest issue besides scared that it won't help. I have had 3 back surgeries in the last year and want to minimize my time off this year. I want a vacation instead of a surgery this summer!
  • My doctor in my paperwork stated that I would be off 6 weeks. But I am guessing all doctors are different. I will know more I guess once I have the procedure. I would love to here from ERnurse on this! :)
  • 3 weeks off and could return with lifting restrictions then. If I didn't have other issues and it was solely a hardware removal, I probably wouldn't have needed narcotics after 1st week.
  • I went back to a hard labor job after 3 weeks. My hardware removal was outpatient, but I did exceptionally well in recovery. The doctor had a room for me to stay 2 days for pain control. I actually felt better coming out of the surgery then going in so no need for them to keep me. The only problem I had was the IV infiltrated and my arm swelled and pulled my skin painfully tight. It also made it so the meds weren't effective because they weren't going in a vein.
  • good luck on your surgery Monday!
  • Thank you! I am very nervous but I am sure things will go just fine. I will keep everyone updated.