Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

L5/S1 Newbie with pain & coping issues

talattala Posts: 17
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:59 AM in New Member Introductions
I am a 40 yr old female(wife and mother of 2 girls) and have had minor back issues my entire life. I usually just home treated or chiropractic care...untill last year.

It got to the point where I couldn't handel it and got my first MRI. I have several issues but my main one that causes my greatest pain is the buldgeing/herniated disc at L5/S1.

I am here to hopefully learn about my issues but more importantly to gain some friends with similar issues and learn from them how to deal with the pain.

I can normally tollerate pain (had 11 surgeries which include a double mastectomy and removal of my ovaries so I am no wimp when it comes to handeling pain). Till NOW! My back is a huge pain in the BUTT (litterally)I just don't know how to deal with the pain anymore.

I take hydrocodone, myloxicam, advil and aleve. I also take some antianxiety meds to help me from going into panic attacks over dealing with my back.

I had several facet injections with a dr and also ended up with a spinal headache and a blood patch UGH!

Last month I started seeing a new dr/hospital and had 2 transforaminal lumbosacral epidurals. That was 12/22/11 and I am currently laying in bed with level 8 pain not able to do much of anything. I emailed my dr and the best advice is to rotate heat and ice till my next shot on 2/22/12.

How in the world will I make it till then. I have an active household, 2 busy daughters 11 & 14 and I can't stay in bed for over a month.

So much for an introduction....I am going to look around and start to comment and get involved with this site. Hopefully I can find some friends who can offer some advice and pitty on ways to cope.

See you around,

• hi and welcome to the forum! we are here to offer you support and answer what questions we can. having 2 growing daughters is alot to handle ontop of having pain problems.. perhaps being around others who feel as you do will help you to feel a bit better!! stop by the forum anytime!! it can make a long day go by alot faster!! good luck as you wait for your next injection!! i hope it gives you the relief you need! Jenny :)
  • Hi,
    Great to meet you... I have the same - bulge & herniation at L5/S1, am also struggling, and find heaps of great advice and comfort here @ spine health... :) Wishing you a minimal pain day... :)
  • find support here! I also have L5-S1 issues, and have found superb threads on here that have helped me greatly. Ups and downs of a rollercoaster ride that none of us want to be on.. BUT, it gets me through the day sometimes just knowing this site is here, and others that give such amazing support/understanding!
    Also wishing you pain free days and some relief!