Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Hope-complain to boss if you are getting screwed by work

terror8396tterror8396 Posts: 1,832
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:59 AM in Chronic Pain
there is hope after all
my principal has been riding me all year. last year i was the king of the school, and this year i have gone from the penthouse to the outhouse
everyday i got an e-mail about how bad i was and was actually told i have been a lousy teacher for the past 5 years. of course no one wrote me up or gave me a bad review. she was trying to get rid of me for some unknown reason
well to make things short. i went to the union and they gave me a form to loge a complaint for harassment. i filled it out and sent it to HR. i got a letter back saying i could get another evaluator and also HR stated that they were investigating her for abuses. one of the complaints was about my back and the accommodations that she was not following. she used my disabilities as a way to try to get me to retire or go away. when i told her about my accommodations she just blew me off. i have been disabled with the district for 10 years but she refused to follow accommodations. well now she is being investigated not only about my disabilities buy also her harassment issues.
so keep faith my friends, there is a god, i know there is i just use this saying, if you are being screwed because of your disability, one needs to take the bull by the horns and show courage and lodge a complaint. i know it takes guts to do this because we are alll afraid of reprisals from the boss. it worked for me. so if you need to do it, please do it. i am not saying all is perferct and well but at least this is a start and has the district's attention. maybe afraid of a law suit. also fellow teacher said this also and told the boss of things i did such as sitting down. i told boss my accommodations stated that if need be i sould sit or stand depending on pain. she also ignored this. well my fellow teacher is also in trouble.
oh well
keep the faith
I have 4 fusions from L5-3, the latest last May '12 where they fixed my disc that broke.They went through my side this time. I take 40 mg of oxycontin 4x a day and 4 fenatyl lollipops 300 micro gms 4x a day.

• Well, I can't tell you how happy I am to hear this. I know you've been going through hell at work for quite a long time and I'm so happy that in taking things into your own hands and getting the powers that be involved, your issues will most likely be resolved and you can enjoy what you do again.

It's been a long road for you and I hope you're about to get back to Oz.

Take care, my friend.
  • Good for you Jon, I hope it all works out to your favour.
    APROUD CANADIANveteranButNOTa doctor, my thoughts are my own
  • Could you fly to Utah and do the same with this jerk I work for please? Unfortunately in the gov,, if you are in a Non-bargaining position as myself, there is NO union to back you up or anyone else for that matter. What a crock of - well you know. I recently found out that after me requesting numerous times to be allowed to work from home just a few hours each morning and being denied - this jerk is letting two other people do it whenever they want. They ARE bargaining however so that's why. Life is really so unfair sometimes - it's unbelievable. I am glad you finally got a little justice after all these years.
  • it is unbelievable that administrators do not care or read accommodations especially one that deals with special ed who knows the law and what can happen under the disability act. Once i filled a complaint with the gov't agency dealing with disabilities and nothing happened. i filled a form and heard nothing at all. it is amazing that agencies that are in place to help disabled people do not care about them or get involved. they get their paycheck and do nothing. if that happens then whom do you go to to complain? lawyers won't do a thing due to not enough money. ADA won't do anything because they just want to get a paycheck. i just got fed up and apparently districts are afraid of fair hearings with parents who have sp ed kids in school. i guess this one got the hint. i said that my accommodations weren't being followed that my dr put into place 10 years ago. but really whom do people like us go to when no one and i mean no one, gov't lawyers, etc won't go to bat for us. a person whom i work with gave me more complaints about myprincipal and i will send these to HR. it is a joke that this principal was once head of special ed but won't go to bat for teachers who are disabled. what a hypocrit
    I have 4 fusions from L5-3, the latest last May '12 where they fixed my disc that broke.They went through my side this time. I take 40 mg of oxycontin 4x a day and 4 fenatyl lollipops 300 micro gms 4x a day.
  • j.howiejj.howie Brentwood, Ca., USAPosts: 1,730
    You have been putting up with this for quite some time Jon. I'm glad to hear your finnaly getting some justice!
    Click my name to see my Medical history
    You get what you get, not what you deserve......I stole that from Susan (rip)
    Today is yours to embrace........ for tomorrow, who knows what might be starring you in the face!
  • Finally! I hope this all goes well for you and you are finally treated fairly. :)

I admit I am curious how said "boss" treats you now with this all going on? One would think she would be bending over backwards to help you, even if it is only to save her job ;)
    L1 - S2 "gone" useless in 1 way or another. DDD. RA. Bone Spurs. Tons of nerve damage/issues. Stenosis. Both knees replaced. 50 yrs old. I had a great fall (hence my user name) at age 41 and it has been a domino effect every since.
  • for someone like me who has had difficulties with their bosses for the past 2 years.

I have also gone through our Union and have been told that I should put in a 'grievance' and that it will probably go to 'Tribunal'.

All these official words frighten me as I cannot see that little old me could win over a big Government Education department (the same as in your situation I think). The only thing in my favour is that they appeared to make a mistake at the very beginning of my employment - by not paying enough attention to my application form where I stated that I DID consider myself to have a disability - they seemed to pass me fit for work without investigating this further or having a risk assessment carried out first.

If I had known from my job description what duties I would be expected to do in the long term (which I believe they already knew at the time), then I probably would not have gone for the job in the first place.

But your comments have helped me to realise that sometimes, when your employer has been proved to be unsupportive and going against their own Disability Policy, then justice can sometimes prevail and the little person wins in the end.

I just hope I've got enough strength, patience and mental gumption to withstand everything that might happen if it eventually goes as far as 'grievance' and/or 'tribunal'. I'm dreading it and really hope I can get back to work in a few weeks - otherwise I feel it's going to end up as such a battle.

Thank you so much for sharing your experience.
    2 x Microdiscectomy 2005 / PLIFusion 2-level 2010 / revision surgery 2011 / NEVRO Senza spinal cord stimulator implanted February 2013. I WILL NOT GIVE IN / UP !!
  • I know there is not a damn thing you can do about it and it is not right. Someone here that is hearing impaired, vision impaired, or in a wheelchair is given every convenience the gov can afford and then some. This gig is incredible to me. Our EEO folks told me I should do another Reasonable Accomodation request and I (well you know me) said... Well, hell the gov has a special task force, or group set up to stick their noses into everything - so why doesn't EEO set one up to look at management that says no with no reason and make them give one, make them explain how exactly this accomodation would effect them, or the group? I said, it's incredible to me that after 33 years of dedicated service to the public and the best evaluation attainable for the last 15, that this will not even be considered. It is a disgrace. Didn't get a response to that e-mail, hmmm - wonder why.. Because nobody really cares. Jon is correct, they just wanna kick back and collect their pay and pat themselves on the back for all the "real" handicapped souls that they have helped and point out what they have done. Gov at it's finest!
  • You are in the union or have one - I would go after it and nail them to the cross! You are strong enough, You can do it! Do it for every person that has got screwed over because of their pain! The pain that they NEVER EVER signed on for. If you have a union to back you up - do it!
  • Mouse/Terror - even if you are not part of a bargaining unit by membership, if you are part of that class the Union is obligated to help you. Even if you are not part of that bargaining unit, you might be able to talk to the Union and have them back you up...they want to be seen to be helping the "common man" and for them having a supporter who is outside of the bargaining unit will help.

I would highly recommend if that doesn't work filing an EEO complaint. Also make sure you have a *declared* medical condition. If your boss just has your say so that you have a back condition, it doesn't count for a thing, unless it is documented.
  • i belong to a teacher's union and to tell the truth, this is the first time in 20 years they have actually done something. Also i filed a complaint with the EEO about 5 years ago and nothing and I mean nothing was done. they mailed me a form after talking to a guy who spent about 30 minutes trying to talk me out of filing a complaint. i filled out the form before the deadline and mailed it to the EEO and i never heard from them at all. apparetntly school district did not either. useless absolutely useless, the EEO. i guess people who work in it would rather get a paycheck then work for disabled people. the guy over the phone was a real jerk and was not supportive at all. sounds like he did not want to do the work. they ought to shut that place down imho.
  • In my opinion EEO and HR are only their to minimize damages to their respective companies/institutions.

• Where I work, the union isn't going to life a finger to do anything unless you are a bargaining employee, I am not. I also agree that HR/EEO is there to protect management only. They could care less if employees get screwed over. Everyone thinks the gov is such a fabulous place to work - it really isn't. I hate my job, I hate screwing people over and it never used to be like this. It's pathetic really and I cannot wait until the day I can walk out for the last time. My job goes against every principle I have - but after 33 years, ya can't just let it all go either. It is a moral and ethical dilemma for me every single day...
This discussion has been closed.