Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

I'm finally doing it "I think" - the alcohol thing...

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,671
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:59 AM in Chronic Pain
Man it has been tough! I have drank every day for the past several years, and usually every other day at least for many more. After seeing this new PM doc and getting this shizzle more under control - I have finally started to get a grip on the drinking. It is so hard - but I think if I just do one day at a time - I might make it. My son is floored. Usually I'm guzzling brews while cooking him a 5-course meal every night when he gets home at 5. I generally get out of my truck in the garage after work, enter the enclosed patio, go out and feed the horse, and on my way back thru to the house, grab my first coldie. Holy hell life is brutal. I know I need to stop this shit tho, I have too. Besides my entire life being planned around my drinking issue, it is expensive. All I could think of at first was - God, Vegas is gonna suck this year without alcohol, or Jeez, what fun will it be to go to the property and see all the buddies (it's one rip roaring party up in the mountains every weekend - all summer long). But, I finally let go of that and started the one day at a time thinking and so far so good. Mayhap if I could get a month of sanity under my belt I could work on the smoking too. Ya buddies - I got a few issues... :)

• is awesome news! You can do it! Take one day at a time, try not to worry about things in the future like Vegas and the summer in the mountains. One day at a time.

I am sure now that you have a great new PM doc that can help you get your pain under control will make a huge difference! I know that alot of people use alcohol to ease their pain.

We are here for you if you need to talk, and stand by you in your journey.

big >:D<
    >:D< >:-D< : Karen
    L3-S1 herniation and bulges, stenosis, mod facet,ddd,impinged nerves,coccydinia
    discectomy/lami July 2011-unsuccessful
    adr L5-S1 Feb 2012
  • i don't drink and have not done for about ten years ,i applaud you for getting a grip on you drinking ,just take it one day at a time .if you fall off ,,don't worry just start again {stopping that is} !
    1997 laminectomy
    2007 repeat laminectomy and discectomy L4/L5
    2011 ALIF {L4/L5/S1}
    2012 ? bowel problems .still under investigation
    2014 bladder operation may 19th 2014
  • j.howiejj.howie Brentwood, Ca., USAPosts: 1,730
    After failing several different trys. I tried one day at a time.
    That was 32 years ago. After a couple of years, you won't even miss it!
    Marion, you can do it! =D>
    Good luck, Jim
    Click my name to see my Medical history
    You get what you get, not what you deserve......I stole that from Susan (rip)
    Today is yours to embrace........ for tomorrow, who knows what might be starring you in the face!
  • There are numerous benefits to your change in behavior/habit. One will be weight loss. You will soon be known as Skinny Minnie Mouse!

Support networks are critical to success. You already have one on this Forum. Use it/us.
  • fabulous,i'm very happy for you. i wish you all the strength in the world.
  • I LOVE your attitude! I am seriously in awe of you for doing this!! SERIOUSLY! I "know" your pain levels and the sucky pain treatment you get. I have never not once even in my mind thought badly of you for your drinking habit. Not that it matters if I had lol ;)

I know your not a praying type gal but too bad, your in my prayers to win your battle :)

I admit I have given the thought of allowing alcohol to help me with the physical pain as well as the emotional pain inside of me. I am too much of a chicken poop though lol I come from the area that had a girl who took a cold pill and had a drink and ended up a veggie for the next 20+ yrs until her family finally took her off the life support. I always was scared that would be me....

I have never been a drinker but I am a smoker and have said many of times that the very thought of not smoking seems weird to me.

I wish you the best!!!!

I am here if you need someone :D

PS: I sent you a email, hope it went to you and not someone else lol

L1 - S2 "gone" useless in 1 way or another. DDD. RA. Bone Spurs. Tons of nerve damage/issues. Stenosis. Both knees replaced. 50 yrs old. I had a great fall (hence my user name) at age 41 and it has been a domino effect every since.
  • SavageSavage United StatesPosts: 5,427
    It is a biggie, that's for sure...but like you said.. a day at a time.

You probably practiced that with the pain and all accompaning issues..a day..a minute..at a time.

And how we talk about we are not our pain..as we are not our addictions. We have the issues...but they won't have us.

I can't imagine how proud and inspired your family is.. and you know.. if your mind goes off into thinking of Vegas..etc... it really is hysterical seeing things through sober eyes! People are entertaining...and I find that since I quit several years ago...I don't need any extra substance to be as unpredictable, embarassing(in fun way I hope), and all out have great time without it.

Glad your pain doc is a keeper and things are looking up!

Spine-Health Moderator
    Please read my medical history at: Medical History

• It got a little sketchy over the weekend, but I managed to get my head back together. Had to dump a few bottles of harder stuff I've had in the cupboard for company. I only drink beer and maybe some tekillia shots here and there but I was pretty tempted Saturday to have a few shots just to take the edge off. I didn't tho. Man, this is rough, but... I have been stashing the cash normally spent on drinking and my twice a week bar trip with my guy friends and it's around 200 already and it's only been one week. That's amazing. I'm thinking well hell, maybe if I could get a grip on this, I could take a medical and afford to lose have my pay. LOL! I actually am a praying gal, and that has helped a lot. I have a guy friend that is also quitting and we kinda started together and so far have been able to call each other or text when the rough road starts. It's been o.k. and he's done well also. Thanks for being supportive and for listening. I do appreciate that. Other than my party guys I really don't have girlfriends and people that I hang out with or chat with much. I'm pretty much a loner for the most part so it's nice to have someplace to talk about it. Thank you all! Marion
  • That's damned impressive and a hell of a goal to shoot for. I should imagine you'll save a considerable amount of money. When I quit smoking I saved a bunch, but the booze has to be significantly worse cost-wise. Health-wise both suck so good luck with it.

I'll be curious if laying off the booze doesn't actually help your chronic pain. Let us know. As much as alcohol can you numb you up. I just can't see it helping with your pain meds. Hopefully they work better, you stay a little straighter, maybe things get better some.
  • I am so used to drinking all the time, I don't really get all that messed up when I do. People have no clue that I'm a drinker, you just can't tell. It appears the meds might be working a little less, but not enough to make me change my tune. I'm pretty determined I'm going to fix this mess I've created.
    On another note - who'd a thunk it Z? Us buddies? :) I'm glad - I really like to get along and actually although I think we have offended each other from time to time - many of your comments have just cracked me up. You are rather humorous! Thanks for the good words - I do appreciate that. I think I better get a pretty good grip on the drinking thing before I start with the cigs. Oddly enough, I did this about 6 months ago but only half heartedly. I am not naive enough to believe that cigs and drinking don't go hand in hand. Well, I thought I'd get on the patch so that I could quit the cigs, and new I'd need to quit drinking to be successful. It worked great for 2 days - then I decided I really needed to drink and about an hour later that was the end of that. Tis a tangled web of mess isn't it...
  • You never know when things will change, including who your friends are, or which ones you loose. I've seen it go both ways with this spine mess.

I like your new attitude a lot better. You're at least trying to do something positive. I agree stopping the booze and cigs at once would probably drive you over the edge. Get the booze under control so it isn't controlling you. If you can get that manageable then the smokes might be easier to put in their place. I used Chantix instead of the patch. Took 2 tries but I beat it. Once for a few months, then a year, and now it's been over 3 years. I have no interest in smoking at all. It just has no meaning to me. Same with alcohol. I was never a big drinker but I was on my way to drinking daily with the back problems. I stopped and now if I have 2 drinks in a month that would be a lot. Again, not interesting, don't need it.

If your buddy is also trying then that helps having someone close to talk too and lean on. I'll bet your son would be very happy to see you get this under control. I'm sure he would also be happy to be a big supporter if you can show him your serious.

Oh and while you are on your laundry list. Watch out for how many of those ibuprophens or acetaminophens you are mixing. You talked about it before. Keep it under 2,000/day, preferably 1,200/day. Between the booze and those doses you could make a big improvement on your liver and kidneys. That wouldn't hurt.

You can do it, like Savage said, 1 day at a time. My favorite cliche I follow now is, do your best, forget the rest.
  • OOPS! MY Bad! I must have confused you with someone else that did not believe in prayers. I am truly sorry - that is a big oops :(

Very happy to hear you are still in the fighting ring :D
    L1 - S2 "gone" useless in 1 way or another. DDD. RA. Bone Spurs. Tons of nerve damage/issues. Stenosis. Both knees replaced. 50 yrs old. I had a great fall (hence my user name) at age 41 and it has been a domino effect every since.
  • Well done Marion,

You are certainly inspiring to battle this we are all here to cheer you on,I have only ever quit smoking,problem was I swapped it for chocolate.

Good luck Des

• Great Job Mouse. Great attitude.

I am not much of a drinker but it's because of some very serious hangovers that I had daily for about a year back in the early 90's. I think I am allergic.

Maybe you can treat yourself to something very nice. Set a goal and go for it :)

• I quit smoking about 11 years ago. Most of the time now, the smell is disgusting to me, but every now and then, I get a whiff of someone's cigarette and want one so badly. I rarely drink any more. I used to drink -- a LOT. I had a boss who rode my butt unmercifully, and I was miserable. I'd come home from work and fix my first 8 oz. martini almost as soon as I got in the door. I might have a few more before the end of the night. On occasion, I would wash a couple of vicodin and flexeril down with it. I'm surprised I'm still alive. Over the years, I developed severe migraines. They put me on an anti-seizure medicine that is sometimes used as a treatment for alcoholism. It really helped the migraines and, it turns out, it seems to have reduced my desire for alcohol. I often feel like having a drink when I'm watching a murder mystery -- you know, everyone is in the library having cocktails and I just want to join them. I'll go get a glass of wine or something, take a sip, and then just decide I don't want it. I will sometimes enjoy a glass of wine with friends, but I rarely if ever have a drink when I'm home alone. Maybe it's just growing up? I don't know.

I wish you the best on your journey. It's important to take care of ourselves as we sort out all our issues. Hang in there!
    3 level spinal fusion, L3/4, L4/5, L5/S1, November 2008. Stiff, but I can walk.
  • stopping in to say hi :wave: & see how you are :)
  • Very proud of you!!! Keep up the good work! And remember, one day at a time, one hour if need be. I'm glad that you have your buddy going through this too, so you guys can help each other out, and you have your son, too. Stay strong!
    APROUD CANADIANveteranButNOTa doctor, my thoughts are my own
  • I folded the cards last night. I've decided I'm going to do what most people who are messed up do, say they are going to drink just one night a week, and see how that pans out. I can't do it - I don't wanna do it. I like drinking. I had a ge tme last night and committed that I won't do it again until Saturday, but Saturday is gonna be my day. Unfortunately most people that try this approach generally feel. BUT - in my screwed up little mind, I have successfully convinced myself that I am NOT most people and I can do it - no problemO... LOL we'll see how this turns out.. Ya, Ya, I'm rolling my eyes too!
  • Good job so far most people have slip ups and try many different ways to quit whatever it is they are doing before actually doing it. Depends on how much you want it. I am very much like you except I smoke not drink and I need to quit finally found a doctor who said be completely smoke free for 4 weeks and we will set up surgery... Oh how I want the surgery yet ummmm I don't want to quit in someways and know I should in others. I started the chantix prescription I got a while back finally today and am hoping by the end of Feb they will set up surgery for March... Believe me I have searched and searched for how to fool a blood test for nicotine.. probably get away with 2 weeks tops lol ...
    I feel for ya mouse because although it isnt alcohol for me I know what your going through.. we know we should and it will be better for us ... but we still dont want to ...
    One day at a time I am going to do it this time for sure at least for a month :)
  • Mouse your not weird ;)

I knew a lady who would come home Friday after work and take care of her family and any needs they had, then about 8 PM she would lock herself in the bathroom with cigs & wine (or some drink) and then would go into her bedroom and drink more and watch TV ans smoke.

Saturday she would wake up shower etc and went back to being Mrs.non smoker - drinker until next Friday night :)

• Will I Live to see 80?

Here's something to think about.

I recently picked a new primary care doctor. After two visits and exhaustive Lab tests, he said I was doing 'fairly well' for my age. (I just turned 63.) A little concerned about that comment, I couldn't resist asking him, 'Do you think I'll live to be 80?'

He asked, 'Do you smoke tobacco, or drink beer or wine?'

'Oh no,' I replied.. 'I'm not doing drugs, either!'

Then he asked, 'Do you eat rib-eye steaks and barbecued ribs?

'I said, 'Not much... my former doctor said that all red meat is very unhealthy!'

'Do you spend a lot of time in the sun, like playing golf, sailing, hiking, or bicycling?'

'No, I don't,' I said.

He asked, 'Do you gamble, drive fast cars, or have a lot of sex?'

'No,' I said.
    He looked at me puzzled and said,...
    'Then, why do you even give a shit? '

• Lol. Good 1. If you dont do any of the above you are already dead,
    Flexicore ADR 2004 resulting nerve damage l4l5 Fusion 2006 same level, 2009 hardware removal with lami !
    2012 scs implant ,
This discussion has been closed.