Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Surgeon for L4/5 discectomy in Raleigh Durham area

owmybkoowmybk Posts: 2
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:59 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
Hi all,

First post here. First of all: great forum with great information. Thank you.

Cliff notes:
* Back pain for 6 months
* Finally pressed for MRI--badly herniated L4/L5 disc
* Excruciating pain starting three days ago that required visit to ER.
* Need surgeon recommendation in Raleigh/Durham area.

First post here. I've been suffering from mild to very painful back pain for the past 6 months or so after injuring my back doing back squats at the gym (and possibly before that, not sure). I went the GP route and got some big advils and muscle relaxers back in June 2011... no real help there so tried chiro for awhile, which helped quite a bit at first but then kind of wore off. Toward the end of the year I decided to just bypass the GP and go straight to an ortho doctor.

The first thing the ortho told me was "You're in the wrong place.. I'm a surgeon and based on your symptoms there's no way I'd do surgery on you. You need PT." I pressed for an MRI anyway because I just felt like something was wrong, and luckily he did one... I got the results back last week and have a severely herniated L4/5 disc that's pressing on the nerve. The doctor immediately changed his opinion to "We can try ESI shots, but they're not going to help here and I think you need surgery."

I'd been doing okay up until that point but coincidentally (and maybe also because I stopped doing chiro), the day after that visit I woke up with by far the most intense pain of my life in my entire right side... so much that if I stood I started to black out from pain. That combined with a huge fever and basically being unable to stand or move earned me a trip to the ER.

Anyway, I've gotten a few second opinions from friends and friends of friends in the orthopedic field and all say the same thing: "This need surgery as soon as possible."

At this point I'm looking for the best possible surgeon in my area for a discectomy. I realize that posting names on here probably is not allowed, so I'm hoping that I may get a few PMs from members in this area who have experience with the surgeons around here.

Thank you in advance for listening, and great forum.

• Nobody in the Raleigh area? :(
  • Hi, sorry to hear about your situation. I would strongly recommend you get another opinion before rushing into lower back surgery. It might be worth trying some esi injections.

Anyhow, I am not in your area. Also, we cannot give you doctor recommendations but if there is someone from your area, they may be able to send you a private message.

My recommendation would be to ask you GP for a suggestion. This way you can have his support/influence if you ever need it (both with the surgeon and at the hospital). The other way to get a recommendation is to ask around locally. People love to give advice.

But, in the end, do your research on the risks of surgery and meet with a doctor or 2 and see who you are comfortable with. A good question to ask the surgeon is
    - what if the surgery doesn't work?
    - why not try other conservative methods?
    - how will the surgeon know if the surgery works or not? I had a surgeon that nearly refused to believe I was in as much pain after as before, but finally agreed to re-MRI me and found it was another herniation.
    - is the disc bulging or did the annulus rupture? There are differencesin herniations.

I hope some of this helps.
  • Triangle Neurosurgery

Dennis Eugene Bullard, M.D.
    Neurological Surgeon

Tel: 919-235-0222