Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Mid back spasms with numbness

Jenniferajr5JJenniferajr5 Posts: 1
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:59 AM in Upper Back Pain, Thoracic
I am new here, and after looking for anything similar on these forums I've decided to ask about my own problem.

I am a stay at home mom and have been for almost 5 years. In a previous life I was a bartender for 13 years, always on my feet on concrete floors. I have had epidurals with all 3 of my kids. I am 5'7" and weigh 130.
I have problems with the mid-section of the left side of my back. All day I am up, chasing my 2 preschoolers around. Nine times out of ten my back will spasm while I am making dinner, and it will continue for anywhere from an hour or two, up to 5 hours. I also have numbness on the same side. The numbness is constant. It has been numb for about two years. I compare it to novocain after dental work. You are aware that your face is itchy but cannot feel yourself scratch. I really feel it in the shower with a sponge. I know I am going over the area but can't feel it. It is an area about 4" x 4" (I think, very hard to judge.)
I have been to an Urgent Care Center when it got really bad one on Christmas eve. The doctor there told me it was spasms (up to this point I had no name for it) and gave me a prescription for Naproxen (500 mg) and Soma (350 mg). Last week I went to my PCP who said to exercise and do stretches, but referred me to an Orthopaedic doctor before handing me a script for more Naproxen. I take about 2 or 3 a day, as my back always hurts, but the Soma? I took one and slept like a rock! That felt great except that my youngest is Autistic and I HAVE to hear if he wakes up, so I cannot take anymore. Also, as for exercise, I mentioned I stay home with my kids? They are 3 and 4 year old boys. I exercise more than a personal trainer.
I am frustrated, especially after reading the posts on here. Seems like unless you have a visible deformity doctors don't really take you seriously. I am hoping the Orthopaedist is understanding and knowledgable, because so far no one can say why my back is both numb and having spasms.
I guess I would like some feedback from anyone that has had similar issues, and what they did for help. Anything is appreciated!

• Have you had an mri? It would be good for you to get one asap! I used to take soma and although it knocked me out the first couple times after that it just made me a little sleepy and a little woozy, I would be able to get up to take care of someone completely fine. Another muscle relaxer is skelaxin, it didn't work for me but it is the mildest one out there, maybe something is better than nothing.
    ACDF C4-5 June 23rd, 2011

Another surgery in the near future. I am 26 years old.

Current Meds- Norco 7.5/325, Cymbalta 60mg, Gabapentin, Adderall 20mg
  • How you were doing and did you ever get the mri. I have similar symptoms as you describe and Ive only recently started rulling things out. I hope you have found the cause of you discomfort.
  • would have an MRI to rule out DDD. I take Soma also, and during the day I just take one half tablet and it is not so sedating but helps out with the spasms that I have around my ribs.

It is not common to have thoracic disc issues. With that being said, there are few doctors with extensive experience to treat thoracic disease. There are none in the city where I live, and there are others on the forum who have had to travel over 750 miles to find a doctor with that experience.

Good luck!
  • Post deleted

Ron DiLauro, Spine-Health System Administrator 02/09/12