Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

C7 burst fracture in rollover

C7FxFianceCC7FxFiance Posts: 1
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:59 AM in Neck Pain: Cervical
Hello, my fiance fractured his C7, in a rollover accident and seems to be very very lucky as he has no defecits at this time. The neurosurgeon we saw says he more then likely will not need surgery, and that everything is in alignment and will heal on its own. He has to wear a reverse halo, (CTO vest by vista/aspen)for 3-4 months. I'm concerned about him having pain and issues later on down the road. Is there anyone out there who has had a similar injury??? Thanks!

• I think you should just take things one day at a time..

Worrying about pain months down the road doesn't make much sense now...

A fracture, without any nerve damage or loss of sensation in any of his limbs is about as good as it can get with that type of accident and the possibilities...

It's also great news that the Neurosurgeon is not saying any surgery...

So...just like with any type of fracture of a bone.....he is just needing to be stabalized until it heals..

The biggest pain he should have over the months is muscular as the rest of his body compensating from having to wear the HALO vest for so long..As well as from the accident itself. I wouldn't doubt his entire body feels 'beat up' and extremely sore.

I'm thinking that they have provided him with medication...(both an opiate as well as muscle relaxers)?

Again..the best news is not having any immediate surgery..

However...just knowing if this is needed in the future...it's an extremely common surgery and can work very well to stabalize the bone.

A CRUCIAL piece of information I hope the Dr. discussed was that he doesn't smoke (if he's a smoker)...Anyone with bone/disc issues can go from having a close to 100% recovery to a 25% recovery just from smoking.

Again...try to take things one day at a time and hopefully the bone will heal, he will have the HALO removed...and be well on his way to being as clost to 100% again.