Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

L5S1 fusion

k.d.kk.d. Posts: 1
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:59 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
Hi, I am new to this forum but not to the human spine. My husband had 3 surgeries in less than 12 months. First was for herniated L5 S1disc.
wewere told he would wake up pain free and bounce back like a rubber ball. So for 5 weeks, I raised a stink wanting a repeat mri as my husbands pain was worse. I guess this dr and my brother didn't know him well enough to understand. So the fifth wk we left drs officd .ent to ER and the dr was less than pleased with me. But my husband was admitted for pain control and MRI....well 6 am I am called by the dr who expressed his gratitude for my persistance and bringing my husband in as we are headed for surgery. I didn't even ask why. At this point, I that he was possessed by the almighty dollar! So much to his surprise he found the most disc material he had ever seen in 20+ years of surgeries.
he even brought the material out in a denture cup. Said he rolled my husband's spine over to make sure no other herniations. So 6 months later my husband hears, "you willnever work again or lift more than 10 lbs." So we got by without any complications for about 3 months then the disc collapsed. He was placed on a surgery schedule 2 months and 10 days later. He could not lay down for this entire time. So we slept sitting up. He had a procedure from the front....I know he has a fusion @ l5 S1 and he still has pain a year later. He has an appointment with a chiropractor tonight. okay, my brother sells the piece in his back....which by the way they put one in and took it out. This fusion is like a piece of white pvc pipe with donor bone. It has an anchor into the vertabrae above and one into the vertabrae below. It opens automatically. These anchors are like small steak knives with serrated edges on both sides. So yes he had one taken out by more cuts and force and another put in.
I have had my say about most of this and lost family along the way.
my husband has numbness in his foot, sweats on the back of his thigh and a cold numb finger. One reason I have been so aggressive with them is I am a nurse and no idiot. My husband had second and third opinions but they found out about the third one....omg, my brother is now at poverty level because of this! Or so my family thinks. But no one has walked where my husband has been. We are all as different as we are alike to each other. He has fought a horrific fight with denial, hiding symptoms from me and becoming dependent on a 28 year old son has cost him so much pride. I know this as well as I know my name....a few more weeks into the recovery of the first surgery and he would have been paralyzed! One of the biggest issues with all this has also been money. They told us the morning after his first surgery that MRIS are expensive. Well 5 weeks later his MRI was at the hospital not at the on site doctor owned facility. His third opinion was after the collapse. And it was at an independent facility!
but my biggest question is....should he see a chiropractor?

• If he goes to a chiropractor I wouldn't let him do adjustments/manipulation. They do have other modalities.

4 level ACDF C4-C7 5-2-11, laminectomy & discectomy L4-L5 1/26/12, ALIF L4-5, L5-S1 12/10/12.