Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Kathy FKKathy F Posts: 2
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:59 AM in Recovering from Surgery
Hi all,
I am a first time visitor to this site. I had a 2 level fusion (L4-S1) on 11/28/11. I developed a limp from L. Leg pain about 3 months prior to surgery. I have minimal pain post op but still have some pain and numbness in my left hip and upper outer leg. I am really afraid that this limp will be permanent. Has anyone had any experience with this? My surgeon says "I hope it will go away "

• I know when I had physical therapy, the PTs would work with people to re-learn how to walk normally because their issues had resulted in them limping. I'll be having discectomy and laminectomy at L4-L5 next week, and I think I'd like to go to PT afterward to try to walk more "normal" again.
    4 level ACDF C4-C7 5-2-11, laminectomy & discectomy L4-L5 1/26/12, ALIF L4-5, L5-S1 12/10/12.
  • I am getting PT but no one seems sure if it will be effective. My leg is very weak and they are not sure if it is muscular weakness or permenant nerve damage. I am grateful for the pain relief but I want to feel normal again. I don't want to be handicapped with a limp.
  • My issues were a little different though I had a very weak leg after surgery. I notice that your surgery wasn't that long ago so keep working on your exercises for the recovery process, especially if it involves nerves, can take a very long time. I found PT helpful and I would do all the PT exercises plus stretching every day. I still follow that format. Keep walking and I assume you are using a cane to help you stay upright. I found the pool to be a great place to work out. Maybe your PT will recommend a muscle stiumlator or a tens unit though neither of them could help me. Keep moving and exercising every day. Don't give up. You might consider changing PT's for each approches a situation differently and maybe some fresh ideas might help you. Be determined to get your leg stronger. Time. It takes lots of time and a lot of work.
    My leg is definitely sronger and I keep working on it. I, too, would like to walk without a cane and that may or may not happen. No one knows for sure.
  • HI,
    I've had a fewe back surgeries, and I too had a limp, but as time went on, things healed and nerves came back to life, it got better. Now the only time I might limp is if I've walked too far, then the low back aches, and my left outer thigh goes totally numb! But if I lay down for awhile, it goes away, so hopefully you will be ok, with only a numb reminder now and then, and numb beats pain any day in my book!
    You are still very post surgical at this point, so remember to count healing by the weeks, not the days!Good luck, and let us know how you are!