Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Severe symptoms from neck - slurring of speech, numbness

ljraddlljradd Posts: 2
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:59 AM in New Member Introductions
:S I have been dealing with many severe symptoms for a few years now and am no closer to finding out the reason for my deterioting quality of life.

- started with 2 grandmal seizures; seizure meds for 1 1/2 years.
- would have "episodes" 3-4 x per week (dizzy, incoherent, numbness/tingling in left arm, severe sudden migraine, chest pain & a feeling of my air being cut off in the throat area on left side
-cardiologist did workup; neurologist, etc.

Systoms have escalated to the point that I now have 6-10 "episodes" a day - some last a short period others can last hours. Severe head pain (in back), lips go numb, slurring of speech, incoherent, unaware of where I am, dizzyness, excrutiating pain. This has become my daily life now and I don't know where to go for answers. Pain Mgmt did injections, Neurosurgeon states nothing wrong that would cause these symptoms.

Finally diagnosed with severe osteoporosis and the following from a recent MRI.

-Prominent spondyltic changes at C5/6 with a severe left sided neural foraminal compromise which appears to be primarily due to hypertrophic changes of the uncovertebral joint. Canal narrowing is mild.

- Broad based disc bulging at C3/4 impressing on the thecal sac but not the cord.

- Right sided cerebellar tonsillar ectopia measuring 3 mm. Borderline for Chiari Malformation 1.

- Very prominent bilateral maxillary sinus disease.

Can anyone shed any light to help me decide on the right type of physician to handle these symptoms? I have read a lot about the Chiari Malformation causing issues (some of the symptoms I experience) but a lot of docs don't recognize it to be a problem unless it is larger than 5 mm. I literally am losing my part of my life during these episodes & not being able to remember how low they last. Now it is becoming a common thing for me not to be able to communicate verbally.

I am 50 years old, have lost 20 pounds since August (now weighing 90 lbs). Any input would be GREATLY appreciated.

I just don't know what to do now! Thanks so much!!!!! :&

• I would go to a second opinion Neurosurgeon and also a Neurologist. I hope you've had a brain MRI and EEG and rule out any TIAs. Find a good Dr. and one who will be able to help you and get some answers and consider a large Spine or Neurospine hospital. I wish I could help you more but think a professional Dr. will be able to help better with a full work up.

Describe your symptoms in detail and you may want to keep a journal but if I ever had an episode of slurred speech or seizure I would call 911 right away. I hope you find a Dr. to help you. My SIL has Chairi and doesn't have these symptoms of seizure or slurred speech. Take care Charry
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN
  • First let me say welcome to spine-health. AS far as what could be going wrong with you, there is really no doctors here we are all just patients are self. What type of doctors have you seen thus far? What type of treatments have they done. My best suggestion is you should be with a nuerologist. You might even considering going to the Er when one of the attacks is happening. Sometimes they need to see the attacks in action to understand what is happening.

As far as the neck MRI, you can look at a dermatone map and see the levels you have issues with and the corresponding nerves they trigger. A mri is not the tell all, as somethings may not be seen on them. Some doctors will order a myelogram to actually have a better look at that cord.

Your physician should be very concerned at the amount of weight you have lost. If your physician is not helping you, then find another. But if your having those types of issues and it is destroying your quality of life, it is imperative that you first get a diagnoses. Sometimes reading the internet can be a good thing, but sometimes it can be just as disruptive as there are so many conditions and diseases, and we are not medically trained. But I also understand doing research if your not getting help from the doctors.

Just thought I would stop by and welcome you to spine-health. If there is anything I can do, don't hesitate to pm me. Take care and keep us posted.
  • >:D<
    Thank you so much for your suggestions, input and advise! I GREATLY appreciate all.

Tough road but I pray that eventually we will get to the bottom of this mess. Stay healthy & happy! I wish you all well.