Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

What should I do?

roofumrroofum Posts: 1
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:59 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
Hi everybody. I am a 58 year old male with chronic lower back issues. It started in 2009, with an MRI showing L4-5 disc degeneration and severe stenosis in L5-s1. I have held off surgery with vigourous lower body exercise and weight loss. Early in the summer my luck ran out when the back pain, mostly under the buttocks returned after with vengenance after a day working a roofing crane and golfing 27 holes (my own fault). Didnt realize how stupid it was to the following day. Since then i have seen three separate back doctors. First doctor recommended fusion of L4-5. the second doctor recommended fusion of L4-5, L5-s1. Doctor number three recommended suggested a lumbar laminectomy of L2, L3, L3-4, and a lumbar interbody fusion, posterior or transforanimal to L4-5 to L5-s1. I would appreciate anyone chiming in who has had to make this same or similar decision regarding surgery. This is my first time posting, I am not sure this is the right forum or post area. Please advise. Thank you, Kevin

• It's the right place.

It is recommended to exhaust all the "conservative" treatments first. Looks like you've got the physical therapy ("pt") already. Other options are things like injections into the vertebrates, traction, and aquatic therapy.

Usually a discogram is performed next. This is a test where the doctors try to pinpoint your source of pain.

If the case is not too bad, a microdiscectomy might be performed.

The next more invasive jump from there is something like a laminectomy.

Finally, the most invasive step is a fusion. They can either fuse the joint permanently or try an artificial disc replacement ("ADR").

Each procedure has different degrees of positives and negatives.

On the sunny and mild Central Coast of California

L4-L5 endoscopic transforaminal microdiscectomy June, 2007
    L5-S1 endoscopic transforaminal microdiscectomy May, 2008