Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Depression After Multiple Surgies

Jillw2184JJillw2184 Posts: 1
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:59 AM in Depression and Coping
Hi All-
I took a fall almost 3 years ago, after going to many doctors (13 in total) I had two knee surgeries in 2009 & 2010 (Lateral Patella Release & Micro-Fracture), after i thought all was behind me surgery wise, I found out I had spondololysis, after months of back injections (transforminal) and years of physical therapy me and my doctor both decided it was time to go the surgery route (surgery was: July 14th 2011), he was fantastic and answered every one of my questions, I ended up having a Direct Pars Repair surgery (the doctor wasnt sure if he was going to be able to fix the fracture, so going into surgery i wasnt sure whether i was going to wake up with a fusion or just a direct pars repair).

I love my family with all my heart, but i am a 27 who lives alone and looked at as the 'independent' one of the family.
I was left alone alot of the time and only had family come over when I asked them to stop by every few days to change
bandages and so i can shower without worrying about if i slip and being alone, I feel like my family and friends didnt understand the magnitute of the situation and just thought id be 'ok'.

As a result of all this, I felt myself slowly getting very depressed and alone.

The surgery was 6months ago and I still can't shake the feeling and at times feel like it gets worse as the time passes.

Have any of you ever gone through recovery from a major surgery alone & if so did you get sad/depressed/feel alone?

I was having a great recovery and literally almost pain free, on Christmas I got hurt and i feel like i am reverting back to how i was pain wise and am ABSOLUTELY terrified of having to go through all of it ALL alone again.
My doctor is hoping its just a strain and has given me muscle relaxers/anti-inflammatories and sent me back to PT.
I see him in 3wks and hoping for good news...

Any help or insight into all this would be appreciated! =)

PS-- Sorry for the novel! lol :)

• HI,
    I've had multiple surgeries, and in most cases, I am by myself, and yes, the depression will set in for awhile. It's hard to do alone (2nd marriage, and not near any family or real friends), as when my hubby is at work, he does like 14 hr days moving road paving equipment, so that leaves just me and the dog!
    I always thought that friends might rally to help me out, but that's not how it worked out. Unfortunately, people are always telling me how strong I am, and how they wish they could be like me.. Are they kidding??? Strong? I consider it more of a survival mode....but maybe I am stronger than I think, and maybe you are too, or you wouldn't be looked upon that way... The posterior fusion of last summer was awful for recuperating - pain and hallucinations from the hospital meds...then 3 weeks of more pain...then it started to get better... I was so tired of trying to make something to eat, take a shower, let the dog in and out, and try to have dinner when hubby finally got home, I thought I'd lose my mind...but it got better.
    I do take an antidepressant daily, and it certainly helps, but not as much as it would if friends were closer and could stop by...it's a 2 hr drive each way...not likely....not so far... But, there's always the phone and email, but not the same as face to face.....
    Don't let your Xmas episode freak you out until you know for sure... relax and give it time.... And if something else needs to be done, then call on your inner strength and do what you need to do.
    This site is such a great place, with people who "get it" , for info, support, whatever! Let us know how you are doing... and hang in there!!
  • hi! please follow your doctor's orders and let time do the healing that needs to be done!! be patient and pray for the best!! i am sure this is just a temproary setback and you will be moving forward with your recovery in no time.. stop by the forum anytime!! there is always a spiney around to talk to! Jenny :)
  • I'v had 10 surgeries in 3 years and did it alone. It's really hard when u really need someone and have to ask all the time instead of people just being there. My family does not understand the fear we have of falling and the fear of pain! I broke my back 3 years ago it's been hell. Iv lost so many friends due to them not understanding the situation I'm in. I have learned a lot about life the good and the bad. If you need someone to talk to who understands I'm here for ya! :)

Good luck with your knee!

• By the way I have bad depression too but I got a puppy recently and he's been my rock!