Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Relief from sciatic pain in left leg

Lori FLLori F Posts: 1
:H I am posting today because I want to share my experience in the hope that I may be able to help someone else.

For several years I have suffered from sciatic pain from my left buttock to my calf. It was a burning type pain and it occurred mainly when I would ride in the car for longer than about an hour. Last week I rode in the car for 11 hours with only 3-4 short breaks, and amazingly I had no pain in my leg! So, naturally I began thinking of what I had changed in my life to cause this wonderful relief. There are only two possibilities: I have been taking Yoga classes for about 8 months, and I recently was treated by a chiropractor for neck stiffness and pain. Since I have only had 3 treatments by the chiropractor, I tend to think that Yoga did the trick. I am 65 years old and have osteoarthritis, and the Yoga has helped with that too.

• I am happy for you.. Myt experience with a CHRIO is only see them when u are a mess.. If u feel better after ONE treatment DONT LET him adjust u again.. THats just my opinion.. I hear amazing stuff with YOGA but u gotta have the right teacher or it could make u worse.. Thats my 2 cents..h
  • Dr Whitaker's Guide to Natural Healing has an interesting section on sciatica (check the index). You will probably want to discuss his treatment with your physician; I would not want you to try it on your own.
    Some people have gotten relief from sciatica pain by drinking monavie juice.
    Magnets may help.

• I had bunion surgery on my right foot in early December and about 13 days later a started developing sciatica on the right buttock and thigh after I bent the wrong way. When I bent over to plug in a wire I felt a very slight pull in my lower back but it never hurt. The next day I woke up with sciatica. It has been about 4 1/2 weeks now and Every morning I have pain when I stand up, get in a car or any move from sitting to standing or visa versa. I still walk with my Surgery shoe and so walk with a gait/limp since I cannot bend my foot yet. When the surgery shoe comes off and I can transition into regular shoes I hope my sciatica disappears. After reading this forum I fear it will be longer. My sciatica is very bad in the morning when I am getting the kids to school but by evening very bearable but still there. Advil does not seem to affect the pain. Wine while preparing dinner helps but I cannot drink wine all day with 2 kids.
    I hope to be able to return to work by April. I am a Flight Attendant and cannot comprehend doing my job with this sciatica. My sciatica never hurts when I am walking, standing, sleeping or sitting. It hurts quite severely when moving positions though. I have a Doctors appointment to start researching medically some nonsurgery nonevasive nondrug pain relief and to discover if I do have lower lumbar spine ingury. I am very physically active normally, busy with young kids and only in my forties. My job itself requires a strong spine so this sciatica is causing me much stress and depression. I pray it disappears when my foot heals.
  • Hi I'm new to this site, I had an attack of sciatica
    which started 10 weeks ago,very painfull in my back
    left buttock, front of upper leg and over the top of nee cap. the accute pain has now gone but I am left with shooting pains accross my nee cap, numbness arround the front of my nee cap to part way down the inside of my lower leg, this area is very sensitive when touched, my MRI scan showed
    a bulg at L3
    My main problem is lack of sleep, I get at most
    3 hrs each night before my leg wakes me up
    I Am having Physio and taking pain killers as given by doc.
    Does anyone know if the numbness and sensitivity in
    my leg will go away
  • Hey Philip, I can so relate to your lack of sleep. My very best advise is gabapentin, Nortriptyline and Cymbalta. I first started with the gabapentin (Neurontin) 3000mg and Nortriptyline 100mg, and my whole outlook on life lifted. I'm still in excruciating pain, but at least I sleep at night, and that's half the battle. I added the Cymbalta several months ago, and would almost pass out at night, but since my co-pay was higher, and since it
    wasn't helping the pain, I decided to stop it. I have one thing to say about that. NEVER, NEVER STOP CYMBALTA COLD TURKEY. I had my family and co-workers offering to pay for it themselves. To say I was cranky is an understatement. I snapped at everyone, and I mean everyone. It's been off it for a few weeks now, and I think I'm back to my old self, be it good or bad. I haven't decided if I'm going back on it or not. Trust me on the gabapentin and Nortriptyline though. It will help you sleep.