Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement
advertisement
Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Drop foot and muscle spasms

desb63ddesb63 UKPosts: 107
Has anyone had drop foot improve ? I have had this several years now,I was hoping my L5/S1 decompression 8 weeks ago would sort this out but I still have it with twitching muscles that lead to cramps,now my surgeon wants to do a nerve root block this thursday,not sure what good it will do as these wear off after a few weeks, Just a little anxious right now.

desb63
advertisement

Comments

• Hi, how did your nerve block go? The only thing I know about drop foot is that mainly the calf and hamstring muscles are involved- they stop working basically. I have been doing specific foot exercises, as many as I can do, during the day time while sitting in my lazyboy chair. I feel this has greatly helped my muscles, therefore, stopping the drop foot. Have you had any further recovery there??
  • Hi Sally,My nerve block is tomorrow in the morning so will let you know how I get on when I come home.I have had nerve blocks in the past in my neck with mixed results good and bad, this will be the first in my lower back.

I too have been trying to exercise my foot to get it moving my brain tells it to move but it only moves very jerky and little range of movement so I use the other foot to move it.The muscles are weaker in this leg.

My main spasms are toes curling also twitching/throbbing on the outside of my leg just above the ankle and upwards then into the back of the leg above my knee and upwards,it is always in this area,icy cold and shaky,sometimes warm and buzzing,very strange.

Thanks again sally I will work on the muscles more and more,glad you have improved.

All the best Des

desb63
  • An update I had a Nerve root block yesterday 19th Jan at L5/S1 to tackle my muscle spasms/foot drop.

It has helped with foot movement and I can move the toes a little more,my leg is warmer than it used to be I suffered with a cold leg most of the time.I have not had spasms or any cramps so far,fingers crossed it stays like this.

Des :)))
    desb63
  • good to hear you are getting some relief!
  • Hi , great to read you have found some relief- and keep on working on your movements... "use it or loose it". is so true-- to me! Looking forward to reading more on your recovery!!!
    cheers!
  • Thanks DNice & Sally711 for you kind comments.

I am nearly 1 week post nerve block all is well with relief to my foot and lower leg although I did have the odd twitching in my ankle earlier,I just hope it doesn't come back again.

I have been working my foot and leg muscles to try and build them up,my foot still doesn't want to do exactly as I tell it but I keep trying.Brain says one thing foot does another,still better than it was though no cramps yet!!!!!!.

Cheers Des :)))
    desb63
  • Des, that is great that you are receiving relief from your foot drop with the nerve block.

I too suffer with foot drop, so know how that can be. What is the difference between a nerve block and an ESI? I have had ESI's and caudal blocks done.

Wishing you contineued relief!

>:D< Karen
    >:D< >:-D< : Karen
    L3-S1 herniation and bulges, stenosis, mod facet,ddd,impinged nerves,coccydinia
    discectomy/lami July 2011-unsuccessful
    adr L5-S1 Feb 2012
  • Hi Karen,

I am not too sure the difference I think the ESI goes into the spinal canal, where as my nerve root block went into the facet joints directed directly at the nerve roots on my left side as it's my left leg only with pain.really not 100 percent about ESI's it's what I read up on or u tubed the other day,good job I am not a doctor.

still having the odd twitching in my ankle I am getting a little worried the injection may be wearing off,but that could be me just worrying over nothing.other than that it has been good so far.

All the best

Des
    desb63
  • Thought I would keep you updated so people can see how the nerve root block is going.

My ankle has been twitching all day increasing more and more and I had my first cramp in the foot earlier although it did not last too long so much for the relief it's coming back already and it's only 1 week.

Think I will give it a while longer to see how it goes then phone my spine clinic if it gets any worse.

Bye for now Des
    desb63
  • Well the nerves are firing off a little more in the buttock then down outside of my leg to my ankle,toes have been curling a little with no control of them,foot flicks on it's own,no more cramps yet but close to it.

I do still have more movement in my foot since surgery so the foot drop has improved a little.

Another strange thing going on and I have never experienced before is a slight quivering of muscles sensation in my arms, chest,and round my sides to my back this comes and goes but lasts for up to 1 hour plus at a time ,not too concerned yet as it doesn't affect me much it is just a little odd.

Oh well getting used to one thing after another.

All the best Des
    desb63
  • Ok the strange quivering in my arms/chest etc has gone away.

My leg is back to how it was before nerve root block with cold leg and foot,muscles twitching from buttock to outside of leg over ankle into foot,although cramps do not last as long as before my operation on my spine,I seem to be able to calm them down much easier.

Nerve block lasted a short time and was good pity it wore off so quickly.

Foot drop back to how it was,I am thinking now to go see my consultant and let him know maybe the area he targeted can be treated as it helped for a short while.

watch this space I will get this damn leg resolved.
    desb63
  • I'm not sure this qualifies as drop foot but I have a large l4/l5 herniated disk my doctor told me that my left leg is very weak (2/5 weakness). i noticed that when I try tapping my left foot it doesn't come off the ground initially and when it does it stays stuck curled up for a few secounds like it was glued.
  • Had pain for nearly a month, tried chiro's - MRI done and showed a herniated L5 S1. Got a nerve block to help w/ the pain in my right leg / buttock area. Getting up from a seated position was excruciating. Now its tolerable but my right leg feels weaker and especially my calf. I can't lift my body weight by lifting it w/ my toes w/ right foot.... starting to worry they messed up spine or something. Anybody have this and does the weakness go away? Physical Therapy help or walking or?
advertisement