Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

calf and foot pain

Don DamrckoDDon Damrcko Posts: 2
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:59 AM in Recovering from Surgery
Hi everybody, I am new to this thread. I just had a L4-S1 fusion about 8 days ago and I have to say so far I feel 10 times better then I did before the surgery! I felt like I had to post this after reading all the negative remarks on this thread. Yes I am expereincing calf and foot symptoms but I wouldnt describe it as pain, its more like numbness and at night yes it gets a little worse but it is NOTHING compaired to the pain I was dealing with pre op! I could not put a ounce of pressure on my left leg due to a severly pinched nerve that litteraly made me want to cut off my left leg the pain was so bad! What Im trying to say is everbodys pain tolerence is different. I have a very high pain tolerence and I would much rather deal with a numb foot (pins and needles/ swelling/ tightness) over the pre op pain. My surgeon told me that i would experience this and that it should go away anywhere from 2 weeks to a year after surgery. I make sure that I walk every day and do as much walking as I can as everyday sense my surgery I have felt better!! The key is to find a great surgeon (not good) that specializes in your specific problem and you to be willing to push through the the grit and grind after. Im only 8 days post op but i feel great and I know im going to get back to the activities I did before!!

• Thanks for taking the time to send a positive post. It's great that you've had that much pain relief and that you have a surgeon who was up front about what to expect after the surgery.
    4 level ACDF C4-C7 5-2-11, laminectomy & discectomy L4-L5 1/26/12, ALIF L4-5, L5-S1 12/10/12.