Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Upcoming ACDF Surgery Question

seadooguysseadooguy Posts: 5
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:59 AM in Neck Pain: Cervical
Hi everyone, thank you for reading. I am 28 years old and have an upcoming ACDF procedure (within the next two to three weeks). I am presently a full-time college student carrying 18 credits this spring (and a 3.73 GPA to protect). I have informed by professors of the situation and all are willing to work with me (giving more time, etc). The question is, how long do you think I might be able to not work on class material after the surgery? All of my classes are taken online so I don't have to leave the house but I do need to be able to use a computer, type, and read from books at a minimum. I have a headset that I can use to speak what I need to type to offset some typing if need be. Open to opinions based on past experiences here. Thanks everyone! :)

• sunny1966ssunny1966 VIRGINIAPosts: 1,385
    Welcome to SH!
    I think that it will depend a lot on how many levels you're having done. I only had one level C5-6 but feel like I could have resumed that type of activity in a few days anyway. It will depend on how much pain medication you'll need and so forth.

You probably shouldn't take any advice from me since I'm only the mother of a 20yr old college student who does his work all online but who doesn't have to do it myself...I just spend a lot of time reminding him to GET YOUR WORK DONE! lol. Does that count for anything?

There are other "young 'uns" here who can probably give you more of the help you need. I just wanted to welcome you to SH and wish you the very best with your upcoming surgery.

Take care,
  • I should have mentioned that it is only one level, C4-5.
  • Hi! I also had c4-5 fused and I am 24. I don't think you will be doing much studying for the first 1-2 weeks. It also depends on how much pain medication you are taking. Do you currently take pain meds? Can you study while taking them? I always find I never remember anything while taking pain meds. The first week or so after surgery I was on a lot of meds and don't really remember much of it. I was in the hospital for one night following the day of my surgery.

I was off work for 2 months, but that is because I have a very active job. I spent most of those 2 months on the computer and reading, so after a week or two you should be fine.
    ACDF C4-5 June 23rd, 2011

Another surgery in the near future. I am 26 years old.

Current Meds- Norco 7.5/325, Cymbalta 60mg, Gabapentin, Adderall 20mg
  • Thanks Donnabe. Currently I take between two and three Vicodin 7.5/750 a day and it makes things just tolerable enough to do things. I am able to study, to an extent, on that dose but I suppose with something stronger it could be an issue. I really do not want to have to take a defered grade if I can avoid it.
  • sunny1966ssunny1966 VIRGINIAPosts: 1,385
    Sometimes it takes a while for the anesthesia to really wear off after surgery--at least for me. Seems like I'll feel kind of 'foggy' for up to a week.

Hopefully you'll be able to keep up and not have to take a deferred grade. Everyone reacts differently so it's really hard to say how you'll do. I hope the surgery takes care of your problems. Keep us updated.

• HI,
    I've had that surgery twice C5-C7..The first ended in a non union, and had to be re-done, with posterior also, to lock it in... I think within a week, you will do just fine... You may be able to do it sooner, but do yourself a favor and don't rush yourself... Even though that scar will hardly show, it's what has been done on the inside that needs to rest and heal! Your grades are fine, and your teachers are understanding, so I think all will be well.. Good luck and let us know how you do, as we are a friendly bunch on this site!
  • seadooguy,

I wish you well with your surgery I too need this at C5/6 but have no date yet,can't comment on recovery but have had other surgerys,as mentioned above Anesthesia will take a while to get over 7-14 days I was told not to drive for two weeks because of insurance not sure if that is relevant or not.

Good luck and get plenty of liquid food drinks in stock as it will be a while before you can eat normal solid foods I have heard,no doubt someone here can inform you better than me.