Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement
advertisement
Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Possible Reherniation 7 Months Post Microdiscectomy

csefkowccsefkow Posts: 1
Short history - 62 year old female - herniation at L5-S1 15 years ago which started causing problems 7 years ago, groin pain, numbness, severe sciatic pain in left leg. Numerous steroid injections over that 7 year period and ultimately had microdiscectomy almost 8 months ago. Very easy recovery and felt great for 7 months, then pain returned about 4 weeks ago with a vengence. Had MRI with contrast 2 days ago but don't know results yet. Am wondering if anyone else has had experience with a reherniation, what was done, and how a second surgery turned out.
advertisement

Comments

• Hi there,

Sorry to hear you are having problems again. Did you remember doing something that might have caused the increased pain? Stretch wrong or sneeze too hard?

All joking aside, I hope that you didn't re-herniate. Maybe increased scar tissue is just causing the pain or inflammation.

But if you did re-herniate, hopefully a revision MD is a good option for you. I re-herniated (or they left a piece behind) within a couple of weeks of the first surgery. I'm coming up on 2 years out of the revision and holding steady. I had some big issues when I ruptured my disc so my results are not nearly as good as others I know that had the revision but yet I'm still pleased with the results.

The surgery would take a little longer b/c of scar tissue but in general is the same surgery. I was kept overnight b/c the surgeon wanted to play it safe. I was thankful. He also did special nerve monitoring for me which I swear helped a ton. I had an easier time with the 2nd surgery than I did with the first. Not sure if I'm the norm or not but hope this helps.
  • Welcome to spine health. Sorry to hear that your pain returned about a month ago.

I had a discectomy/lami in July (almost 7 months ago) Mine is different than yours in that I never experienced any relief after the surgery. The pain and weakness were the same if not worse. I kept telling my surgeons and had an MRI 2 months post op. I had reherniated and was full of scar tissue and my disc had collapsed.

I am now scheduled to have an artificial disc replacement in two weeks.

I hope that you have not reherniated. Have you started to do anything new a month ago? Physio, lift something or twist funny? Glad that you have had an MRI, please let us know how it goes. When will you get the results? Many people who have a second discectomy have alot of success with it, and don't need to have any other surgery(fusion, adr)

Wishing you all the best!

>:D< Karen
    >:D< >:-D< : Karen
    L3-S1 herniation and bulges, stenosis, mod facet,ddd,impinged nerves,coccydinia
    discectomy/lami July 2011-unsuccessful
    adr L5-S1 Feb 2012