Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Newbie~~~ Looking for support

dolphin1968ddolphin1968 Posts: 1
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:59 AM in Fibromyalgia
I am 43 years old, and I unfortunately have numerous medical issues. And at this point in my life, I feel like i am being defined by all of my health problems.
I go to work everyday just to feel like I have some normality in my life. i know that I will never be pain free, but, I would like some type of relief. The doc that I have is, I have to say, sadistic. He absolutly does not believe in pain relief. I begged for a referal to a pain management doc, and he refused. I used to see a PM, but, my ex husband, the one that was managing the finances, was not paying the bill. So, now am stuck...

Diagnosis: Fibromyalgia, Chronic Inflammatory Demylinating Polyneuropathy, Multiaple Sclorosis, rhuemitoid arthritis :''(

• Hi! I'm sorry for your troubles. I don't have the same problems as you but saw your post and wanted to let you know you are not alone. Chronic pain sucks and if I were you, I'd just go to a different pain Dr. If the Dr won't refer you and you need a referral for insurance, find a general practice doc that will refer you.
  • Hi, Im 28 and I have a mutiple level spine injuries, like C-S, I know what your going through sucks bad. I am medically retired from the Army and cant work, and I defenantly hear you about sorry docs, remember I was in the Army LOL. From my experiences, all I can really say is to stay active as much as possible, because I have been down a very dark road, God has blessed me with a wonderful family but the pain got to me big time and I was seriously compliplating suicide. You never know what glorious events are around the corner, for example, my wife and I had our 1st baby girl in Oct., but if I would have went through with it, I would not know the joy of being a daddy to a baby girl. This is a heavy burdon to carry being in pain 24/7 and so many people just dont understand and look at you like your a big wussy and overreacting, and it gets into your head. When you let that happen its not good and go seek couceling right away. I dont know if you beleive in God, but He got me throug some very bad times and I hope you give Him a chance to help you. Write me back please I would love to talk to you some more. Live every day as if it is a GIFT because it IS
  • Thank you so much for writing! Yes, I do believe in God and talk to him daily. I'm sorry for what you have gone through. I know the VA sometimes isn't the best. My Dad goes to the VA. He is happy with them but I'm in the medical field and question some of their approaches. I have been dealing gowith this pain for so long but I know that many, many people have it worse than I do. I guess I'm just having a bad few days where I'm incredibly tired of this, want my life back and am a bit scared that I will be one of those people that has pain forever. Thanks again for writing!
  • tiredmomttiredmom Posts: 4
    edited 02/05/2013 - 4:56 AM
    So sorry you're going through all of this. I've had fm for 20 years now and have other medical issues involving chronic pain also. It really stinks sometimes. I have a 12 year old son and am married. I'm on disability, so my "job" is to take care of my family and our home. I often feel mentally awful b/c I can't do everything I used to do. Hubby grocery shops b/c my hands hurt from the cart, feet hurt from walking, and back hurts from standing. People who don't have fm or aren't sympathetic to someone with fm can't relate to how we feel. It's sad really. If we had something more "common" (although fm is VERY common now), people would be able to accept it and understand our limits better. A lot of people call fm an "invisible illness", much like your MS. They can't see it, so they think we're fine.

Please know that you're not alone in all of this. I've gone throught the grieving process over this so many times! I always question what I did to deserve this. Why can't I be normal? I wish I could play outside with my son. I take 24 pills a day and the pain is STILL there! Why me?

Well...we'll never know. All we can do is try to deal with it the best we can. Praying is a big thing a lot of fm people do. A lot of fm people also use meditation, low impact exercise (I don't do this much), relaxation techniques, talking to a counselor, etc. I've been to pain management clinics and they had me so doped up, I could barely carry on daily life (& I was still working then). It sounds like your dr may be one of the drs who aren't real believers that fm is real. He should be able to give you things for your MS though. My brother has MS and takes pain pills a lot. The key to this is to find a dr who truly believes in fm and treating it. It's not an easy one to treat and I think they get frustrated sometimes. Most fm people I know are on an anti-depressant, something to help them sleep, a muscle relaxer or anti-inflammatory, and maybe one of the pills out there for fm. (I take Savella) Everyone needs something different and you're going to have to be an advocate for yourself and find what works best for you. I can't even tell you how many times my meds have been switched to try and make me feel better! Like I said, I take 24 pills a day and I'm still hurting, slightly depressed, and sometimes don't sleep well.

Anyway, you need to find someone to help you deal with your diagnoses. You need a dr. who believes in fm and the pain and stress it causes in life. It might take a while to figure it all out, but you will. Your life will feel better soon. Just don't give up and know that there are a lot of people who have this (and the other issues you have) and are very supportive. You just need to some digging and you'll find what you need.

If you ever want to "talk", please message me. I'm new to the site, but I'll try to remember to check in more often.

Take care of yourself and treat yourself well! :)
    Good luck!
This discussion has been closed.