Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

constant pain

R_MRR_M Posts: 30
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:59 AM in Depression and Coping
I never knew I could suffer so much, with no end in sight. Praying God will heal me or help me find the answer to this physical pain. It's tough. It really is.

• I completely agree with you!!! All we can do is take it one day at a time. Whats your diagnosis?? What is causing your pain? I had a spinal fusion at L4/L5 biggest mistake I have ever made. It failed! Took me 2 years to get up the nerve to even have it done, then when I get it done it was the biggest mistake I ever did. Right now I sit in my room pretty much on a daily basis. I am on Percocet, fentamyl patch, gabapentin, baclofen, Ativan, and have no pain relief whatsoever! My Dr. basically said there is nothing he can do anymore. She and my Pain Management Dr. think its a good idea for me to go to an inpatient program (14-28 days) They help to get you to "accept" that this is your life, do physical therapy, psychologist, therapy, relaxation tecniques, ect. I have not decided if Im going to go I have an 11yr old that is very attached to me which is making this vert hard. Im sorry that you are in so much pain I would not wish it on my worst eneny.. I forgot to welcome you in the beginning I was to wrapped up on writing you back LOL. any time you ned to talk just send me a message. Hang in there kiddo.... this is the best place to be!!!!
  • They have diagnosed me with buldging discs, thoracolumbar dysfunction, ddd, arthritis, ......nothing conclusive. No good fix. I desperately want a discogram. Sorry your fusion was unsuccessful. I would try anything personally as right now my life is truely pointless. All I do is suffer from the pain and try to stay organized enough to keep the power turned on at my place. In the past I was very productive and always volunteered my time to help others. When I am healthy I am capable of great things. I don't get frustrated by everyday stuff and I can keep working till a job is done. But now I have reached the breaking point with the back pain. I know there is something that can be done, I just need a doctor who cares. Sometimes I consider giving up and heading to the hospital and telling them im not leaving, giving up on my job, just giving up as the stress is crazy. When I say the pain never stops I really mean it so a doctor should know how serious a problem that would be in someones life, but the treatment is pain pills and anti-inflammatory meds. Eh, I try to stay positive but lately its not working too great. sorry to be a downer!
  • I am so sorry you are suffering :(

I have been in your shoes, as many here have been as well.

You have to find a Dr who will treat your pain as well as give you your options for your injuries.

What is your current Dr telling you?

How long have you been injured?

When I joined here I was a quiet mouse about getting Drs to help me. This forum helped me find my voice and stand up for myself.

L1 - S2 "gone" useless in 1 way or another. DDD. RA. Bone Spurs. Tons of nerve damage/issues. Stenosis. Both knees replaced. 50 yrs old. I had a great fall (hence my user name) at age 41 and it has been a domino effect every since.
  • Currently the doctors had me trying a tens unit, pain pills, cymbalta, ESI's, trigger point injections. I have had pain off and on for years. Even some really debilitating pain but it always went away after a week or so. Right now it has been constant since the beginning of October. And thats when i started taking things real serious. I have been trying to get help the best way I know how. I was doing ok mentally but now not so much. The feeling of hopelessness has really set in and I am DONE playing the waiting game. I resisted the hospital all day today as I determined its not the best plan of action. Tomorrow at 8am I am calling a new neurologist. the number is stored in my phone. I am going to beg/demand he help find the root cause of this pain.....if that doesnt get me anywhere i will go to plan B. I really hope I dont have to go to the ER and cause a scene over this. It doesnt have to be that way. we will see.
  • Don't give up looking for a Dr. to help you. It's a tough road but I agree take it one day at a time. Charry
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN
  • up! There are doctor's out there who will listen. Unfortunately there are alot that aren't able to help sometimes.It may take seeing multiple doctors in order to find the right match.

What sort of tests have you had done? xray, MRI, emg,? Did you receive any relief from the ESI's?

I too suffer from pain constantly, and it can be very tough. Don't give up looking for answers and finding the right doctor to help you.Hope that all goes well with the neurologist that you are calling today.

>:D< Karen

>:D< >:-D< : Karen
    L3-S1 herniation and bulges, stenosis, mod facet,ddd,impinged nerves,coccydinia
    discectomy/lami July 2011-unsuccessful
    adr L5-S1 Feb 2012
  • I have had x-ray, mri, and a non-related CT scan of the abdomen which shows the spine some, but not in great detail. the "results" for my MRI are not worth reading. You really have to look at it to see whats going on. I have been told by more than one doctor that I have real bad genetics and the positioning of my vertebrae has caused the discs to get uneven pressure and makes them prone to failure. Also I do have quite a bit of arthritis, somehow. That is great to know so ok....prone to failure.....where is the failure?....the one thats causing the bulk of the pain? anyway the neurologist sounds like he is gonna take his sweet time before seeing me. I called twice and talked to a few people there and was unable to get an appointment. They are going to call me back. Strange as one of his supposed personal friends referred me. I am still planning on seeing this guy whenever it is because he has some good reviews online. I also am willing to try another ESI. have had one so far. i would say i got 30% relief for about 10 days. not too great unfortunately.
  • R - I am SO SO sorry you are suffering!

I can honestly say "I Know". When I joined this site I was in so much pain I wanted to die. I am not being dramatic, I was giving dieing some serious thought.

The members here held my hand and stuck it out with me until I finally got my pain under control.

It was not easy but I am so thankful I stayed in the game.

Please do not give up!!! :)

L1 - S2 "gone" useless in 1 way or another. DDD. RA. Bone Spurs. Tons of nerve damage/issues. Stenosis. Both knees replaced. 50 yrs old. I had a great fall (hence my user name) at age 41 and it has been a domino effect every since.
  • Stem cell therapy looks really promising. Look into it, itll give you some hope
  • dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 9,859
    recommended or suggested that surgery was an option?
    Many of the conditions you mentioned are pretty common and can be managed through approved exercise programs and NSAIDs.

Exactly what medications are you on? You mentioned cymbalta and others, but what others. Has your doctor put you into any type of other treatments?
    Physical Therapy or Aqua Therapy?

Believe me , I can understand pain and what it can do to you. However, medications alone can not completely manage pain. Its a combination of many things, which I refer to as the Blend (look at the FAQ)

When pain levels reach the point in which you indicate, I would just expect that there was a surgical answer or something else going on.

Its not easy, but you always have to move forward and think positive. As hard as that may sound, does any of the other alternatives really make sense.
    Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com
  • stopping by to see how you are doing :)
  • I hope that someone can find out what's going on.

I was like Ms,HumptyDumpty-I too thought about dying. If I hadn't found this place and the right doctor I would be 6 feet under-I have a lot of MS Contin that was prescribed but never worked. It's hard to just hang in there when you are in constant pain and see no light at the end of the tunnel.