Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement
advertisement
Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

upper back pain affecting every aspect of life

britnileeannbbritnileeann Posts: 19
edited 06/11/2012 - 7:59 AM in Upper Back Pain, Thoracic
i am 21 years old and had a microdiscectomy partial hemi-lamnicectomy on sept 13, 2011. i had the surgery because the leg and hip pain was unbearable and my foot would tingle and go numb. the pain was awful. i tried injections and PT before surgery and nothing helped. well now its been 4 months since surgery, and i am beginning to have upper back problems. it feels like someone has a hold of both sides of my spine and playing tug a war with it, burning sensations that wont go away, pain that goes all the way aruond my ribs with burning. and it hurts so bad it makes my chest hurt, shoulders feel like i have a bowling ball sitting on each shoulder. my upper back never bothered me before, could the surgery i had have something to do with it? i have a one year old daughter and it takes everything i have inside me just to make it through the day doing what stay at home moms do. not only is the pain affecting me physically but mentally. i am so depressed because i cant be the mother i want to be with ths constant aging pain. i dont wanna go anywhere unless i just have to because of the pain. it sucks so bad to feel this pain and be depressed about it all at the same time. i went for a mri of my tspine wednesday, go back for results tomorrow. ive been reading alot on here and i know im not crazy or its all in my head, after reading alot of stories i know im not the only one feeling this type of pain. pain meds stop the pain for about 3 hours and its back although the burning never goes away i cant sleep at nite because of it and when i do sleep a few hours i wake up in the worst pain ever...does anyone out there have any suggestions at all i really need em..
advertisement

Comments

• forgot to mention the surgery was on the L5/S1 level but on L4/L5/S1 levels i have degenerative disc disease spinal stenosis and retrolisthesis...again i really need suggestions any advice i would appreciate thanx
  • I feel for you. I am in constant pain and it's almost more than I can bear. I hope the MRI atleast reveals the issue. The only suggestion I have is call the doctor to see if you can get in sooner for results. If you cant, ok, but call and try.
  • My ribs are sore from the pain. I'm too young to hurt like this its making life miserable and I want to be able to enjoy my 1 year old daughter. My neurosurgeon released me last month after telling him about my pain still, he acted like he didn't care so I will have to find another one if needed. A hot bath relieves the pain until I get out then its rite back. I go tomoro for the results. The dr cut me outa my percocets and soma aftr a year just straight up 2 months after. I'm currently takin robaxin 750mg and I can't take the tramadol it hurts my stomach. Have you had a back surgery or anything?
  • I have not had surgery but I feel i'm ready. Would give anything a try. I have issues with lumbar and thoracic. I take soma at night sometimes to help me sleep. I am about to run out myself! Dont know if the doc will refill or not.
  • Mine at first was my lumbar which is had surgery for, I honestly regret it bc my back pain is so much worse now. But everyone is different with surgery. Soma works really good on me at night with a percocet 10 and I sleep good. But now tht I'm out I can't sleep bc of pain. This thoracic pain came outa no where some days are betr than others. Past 2 days I've honestly laid in the floor and cried with it. So tired of the pain. How old are you? What is goin on with your back?
  • Welcome to spine health! Sorry to hear that you are now having problems with your thoracic spine, after already having to have surgery at L5/S1 at such a young age. Being a mom of a young one with back pain must be tough, especially when they want to be picked up.

Hope that all goes well with your appointment today to get your MRI results. Please let us know how it goes.

How is your low back feeling after surgery?

>:D< Karen
    >:D< >:-D< : Karen
    L3-S1 herniation and bulges, stenosis, mod facet,ddd,impinged nerves,coccydinia
    discectomy/lami July 2011-unsuccessful
    adr L5-S1 Feb 2012
  • My lower back is a lil betr, they worked on the left side. I'm feeling a lil pain in my right leg like with my left one and a pain n my right side of my back. Although my right side is messed up too it was just less prominent on my right and didn't have to be fixed then they were worried about my left side and I needed it fixed immediately. I will let u guys know about today I am on way to Dr now.
  • Same here,im 26 and suffering from upper back pain,for almost 3 years...still in procces to find out what causes the pain...my pain is constant deep dull pain between shoulder blades,along with muscle spasm. feel free to ask anything u want :)
  • My mri results showed up nothing. Have you ever had a ct myleogram? My dad did n he said they hurt him, he's had 2 back surgeries in 10 months. They said my back trouble could be in genetics because most of my family have severe trouble with theirs or have had surgery. I don't know where to go from here the NS that done my surgery released me and acted like he didn't care. They have referred me to pain management but I'm not in yet, I don't wana be on pain meds the rest of my life ya knw I'm too young.
  • No i did not have myelogram,but considering thoracic discogram.
  • Cris46CCris46 Posts: 1
    edited 06/24/2012 - 3:52 AM
    I had decompression and fusion of L3-5 in oct 2009. It worked really well almost immediately. Then after a few months I started to get pain at the next level up, pluses I got severe leg weakness in my right leg. It was difficult to walk and I had to use a wheelchair much of the time. My dr told me that once you fuse an area, it puts more strain on the levels above and below the fusion. I would guess that is what happened to you. One difference for me is the MRI showed addition stenosis at the L2-3 level. I had surgery to re-do and fuse L2-5 . It was not as successful as the first surgery. It has been 3 months and my leg is still very week, I can't walk without a walker, and now I have pain in the thoracic area as well. I was trying to help you and as I read over what I wrote it is mostly about me. Maybe I needed to talk, as I am very frustrated with the continuing pain. Trying to do housework holding onto a walker is a challenge.
  • Hi, just wanted to let you know that you are not alone. I have had 4 back surgeries. The first in 1994 on lumbar than 2 more in 2008 on same disk and last was on thoracic T 7-8 on May 24 of this yr. The MRI showed herniation and stenosis of spinal cord. I did have a CT that showed calcification and since it is rare to have thoracic disk problems my neurosurgeon sent me to Duke University hospital who are the only ones in NC who operate on thoracic spine. I also had chest pain so severe that they sent me to cardiologist before we found out it was my spine causing the chest pain. The pain wrapped around the left side of my chest and upper abdomen and was so bad that it hurt to cough or sneeze. Still having pain since surgery and surgeon thinks I may have reherniated and just wants me to rest and take pain meds. I hate being on meds so much. I feel like a zombie all the time. You need to just keep on after your NS to find out what is going on. It took months for me to finally find out what was going on. I spent thousands on complete heart workup and when that was normal they just wanted to give up but I knew something was wrong and didn't stop until I got the help I needed. Im sorry you are in so much pain especially at your age with a baby. I have a 2 yr. old grandson that I can't pick up and it breaks my heart. I hope you find someone who will believe in you and help you get through this.
advertisement