Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Neck Surgery

Ammani77AAmmani77 Posts: 4
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:59 AM in Exercise and Rehab
Hello I am a new member
I have undergone Occiput to C3 fusion for a congenital condition 5 months ago, which I did not know I had until I am 50 years old
I am off of all pain medications by 2 months post surgery try to exercise.
I returned to work after 3 months and have a busy work schedule of 10 hour days a struggle every day.

I am experiencing significant muscle spasms and paresthesias ( burning and tingling sensation)

DOes any one had similar surgery?
Do you have spasms
Do you exercise if so what do you do.

I ama hoping to meet some one who had similar experience

• I am not sure what your surgery was... BUT I had a fusion of c4-5. Yes I still have a lot of muscle spasms in my neck, throat, shoulder and mid back. I currently take a muscle relaxer- zanaflex, that helps a lot without compromising my mental capabilities.

I also went back to work after 2 months and found it quite difficult.

I don't do any formal exercise, but my job is very physical. I am a restaurant manager. I also did 4 months PT and continue to do my exercises at home.
    ACDF C4-5 June 23rd, 2011

Another surgery in the near future. I am 26 years old.

Current Meds- Norco 7.5/325, Cymbalta 60mg, Gabapentin, Adderall 20mg
  • patrain17ppatrain17 Ottawa area, CanadaPosts: 103

I had an endonasal decompression surgery to take care of my Craniocervical compression problem related to a craniocervical junction anomaly. Because of the instability caused by the resection of the parts that were putting pressure on my cord and brain, they also had to do an occiput to C3 fusion.

I am now in 3 months after my first of two surgeries, and I am feeling better in a lot of ways. Less numbness and tingling and a lot more energy. I just got rid of the hard collar a few days ago and am wearing a soft collar on an on and off basis. The neck is very stiff and I am very hesitant in moving it. I am starting physio this Friday and am going back to work in about 3 weeks.

I still have so shooting pain sometimes in my fingers and I am still experiencing some tingling and numbness from time to time in my fingers and left feet. I still have difficulty swallowing which I had hope the surgery would help. I guess the damage was already done and it just might take more time for things to get back to normal.

After my second surgery, my surgeon told me told me he couldn't understand how I could function the way I was. Over 50% of my spinal canal was gone. Even my breathing functions were affected by my condition. I guess I'm lucky now!
  • I had muscle spasms for a long time afterward. I was doing physiotherapy type exercises to regain ROM but didn't start normal exercises until after 6 months post op. PT and massage therapy are good for the spasms.

Take care!
  • Ammani77AAmmani77 Posts: 4
    edited 10/01/2012 - 2:20 PM
    I am 13 months after O-C3 fusion with decompression done for C1-C2 instability and foramen magnum stenosis. causing chord compression. my symptoms prior to surgery were left sided weakness and paresthesias
    I made significant recovery stopped nacotics after 1 month, muscle relaxants, Lyrica after 6 months
    I work full time in health care almost 60 hour work week return ed to walking 3-4 miles and go to Zumba classes once a week. I use modificatin as much as my body allows.
    Despite all the progress I made I still struggle with neck and shoulder spasms , pain, tingling and numb ness. I could control this 70% with TENS Unit and meditation best of all is distraction. There is hope for others who has undergone similar major surgery

One nagging worry for me is return of symptoms or needing another surgery. Do any one of you have any information?
    take care
  • davidDSdavidDS Posts: 2
    edited 10/13/2012 - 9:27 PM
    After surgery I had to wear a hard collar for 8 1/2 weeks- 24x7, and still wear it off and on now at 12 weeks. I don't like turning my head so much now because I can hear clicking and I dont go back until 4/7. It is hard to not turn your head and be so confined. I learned to turn my body instead of my neck. Get a great pillow for relief, i totally understand about the most stupid thing like put a pillow case on the pillow. Or reading a book for more than 5 minutes. When you go through things like this it really makes you appreciate life. Keep your spirits up! Hang out here, there are good support people, also lots of people looking for help.

Link removed, solicitation not permitted
    Post Edited by The Spine-Health Moderator Team