Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Constant back pain getting worse

windycityladywwindycitylady Posts: 6
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:59 AM in Lower Back Pain
I am a 41 year old who has severe back issues. 5 months ago, I had surgery for a cyst that the doctors found that was 3 times the size of my ovary. The main issue I had when I went to the emergency room was that I had excruiating pain in my lower back. The ER doctors were pretty sure that it was a kidney stone but after the ultrasound, we found out different. they had to perform surgery right away because the cyst was attached to my right ovary and one of my tubes was wrapped around that. It was a mess. they were able to successfully remove the cyst, my right ovary and also my tubes. Coming out of surgery I guess I was very combative. I remember having an overwhelming urge to roll over on my side and then I felt fingers....fingers....fingers....all over my body. That was the only thing that I remembered coming out of surgery. I guess it took 5 nurses to calm me down and one had to actually lay on me to keep me still. I found this all out when I was at my post-op appointment to remove the stitches from the surgery. Since then, my back has never been the same. I have had issues in the past with my back. At least once a year I do something to it that puts me in pain for a few months. But some visits to the chiropractor usually gets me back to normal in a couple months as well. (Approximately 8-12 chiro sessions). This time is different.

After going to the chiropractor my first time, my back actually hurt more. So, I stopped going to him and tried going to an accupunurist. This did nothing for my pain either. I went back to my doctor and he thought it was my sciatic nerve and ordered me an MRI. Well, I am very claustrophic and tried 3 times for an MRI before I was told that I would have to be put under in order to complete an MRI on me. So, now I am waiting for a new order from my doctor requesting that my order be updated with "with anesthia". In the meantime I have been in constant pain. I can't even sleep. Some days worse than others. Today is a bad day, which is why I am writing. I have pain everywhere. Not only does my lower back hurt, but my entire neck and back hurt. My lower back seems to "pop" when I am standing or sitting. My legs and arms go numb and my feet and fingers fall asleep, even when I am sleeping. I wake up several times a night because either my right side or my left side has fallen asleep and I have to wake up and move to a different position. The doctor gave me axycodone for the pain and that is not even helping. Every morning is a horrible experience. My alarm goes off and I can barely move in order to shut it off. It is physically painful for me to try and move my body in to the shower. It hurts to wash myself because I can barely move. It takes about 3-4 hours before I feel like I can move freely again, but I am still in constant pain. Today, the winter weather has been replaced with warmer than normal conditions and rain. I am in so much pain, I can barely sit at my desk. My neck and in between shoulder blades hurt the most and I can feel tightened up muscles in these painful areas. My lower back is so painful that I can only sit in one position for a few minutes at a time. Then, I have to get up. this only relieves my pain for a few minutes but then it seems like my own weight is too much for my lower back and it starts aching again. I have tried walking to see if that helps and that only makes me more sore the following day. I have tried some pt exercises but those hurt as well. I know that I have to get the MRI and have already contacted my doctor and I am just waiting for the updated order but in the meantime, does nayone out there have any ideas? I have switched my diet, started taking vitamins, have a back support pillow at work, gave up drinking, and make sure that I follow a strict bedtime schedule. Nothing works. And on days where the barametric pressure seems to have dropped, I can barely stand the pain. I have looked online and I think that freaks me out more. I have heard fibromyalsia, arthritis, osteritis (sp?), nerve damage, degenrative discs, etc. I am only 41. I am getting depressed because all I do all day long is fight this internal battle of my pain. I work in an office but I have the best ergonomic desk, keyboard, mouse, monitor and desk chair. This is just how our office was setup when we moved in. I just feel like there is no hope and this is how I am going to be for the rest of my life. I cant sit on the couch, I cant sit in a chair for very long, I cant walk for very long, everything seems to hurt. And with my fingers and toes going numb now, it just seems to be getting worse. Does anyone have any advice for a 41 year old trapped in the body of an 81 year old?

• Hi CityLady :wave: & welcome to SH :) Though I am sorry that you need to be here. I was about your age when I got hurt.

I read your post like I was reading how my life was every day.

I have a few things I want to be sure to tell you.

1. They have open MRI now for people like you. I know several people who have to get an open MRI.

2. Your dr should have offered to give you a valium or something before the MRI. I know several people who have to take 1 before hand.

3. With as much pain as you are in you should not be being made to wait ANY longer for the MRI.

Does your Dr understand how bad your pain is? Has he/she offered you any different or stronger meds?

When I joined here I was at the bottom of life and was not sure if I was going to keep being able to live or even if I wanted to. Walking across the floor was so painful. Everything I did, I did with pain.
    The members here crowed around me, supported me and taught me how to stand up for myself with my medical people.

My pain is now at a steady level of a 4 most days. I even have a few hours a day where I am lower. With a few days here & there of a level 8 and very very rare a level of 10 - with 10 being out of my mind with pain.

Please contact your Dr again and ask about these other MRI options and/or ask for more help with your pain.

Please do keep me updated how you are doing. I really do care :hug:

L1 - S2 "gone" useless in 1 way or another. DDD. RA. Bone Spurs. Tons of nerve damage/issues. Stenosis. Both knees replaced. 50 yrs old. I had a great fall (hence my user name) at age 41 and it has been a domino effect every since.
  • PS: When you make long posts please try to break them up into more paragraphs for my "old" tired eyes ;)
    L1 - S2 "gone" useless in 1 way or another. DDD. RA. Bone Spurs. Tons of nerve damage/issues. Stenosis. Both knees replaced. 50 yrs old. I had a great fall (hence my user name) at age 41 and it has been a domino effect every since.
This discussion has been closed.