Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

confusing drug test result

hopeless-in-mnhhopeless-in-mn Posts: 206
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:59 AM in Chronic Pain
ok, so I live in MN, and as now it's winter, my pain has increased due to the cold and snow. So I finally broke down (literally-cried at the dr.) and switched to a narcotic pain med-mscontin. I take one at night, and one in the am. Now, it is working better than the tramadol, but still most days have quite a bit of pain.

I went back to the dr. for the one month follow up, and he ordered a drug test...is doing to all his narc. patients. No problem....I may have missed a few of the am doses, but am confident that I had taken the last 3 on schedule.

I get a call from his nurse yesterday saying that there was no sign of the med in my system! she talked to the dr. and called me back today to have me come in for another blood test and my pill bottle. (something else I was told at last visit was now being done to all!)

Has anyone else had this happen, or am I just weird this way?

• Was the "failed" test from urine or blood? I twice failed a urine test but when they did a blood test at the same time it was positive. Doctor commented that my body must be "burning it all up".......
  • Only way i could ever fail a urine test is when i miss the cup, My aim is not as good as it use to be,

Maybe if i put a laser sight on it with the red dot is the cure, But for you woman hmmmm well i have no idea,

Sorry pain has been worse Dawn, I think most of us hurt more in the winter cold for sure, You mention you take the med in the morning and at nite, I would think it wears off by mid day so i would go at least 3 times a day and thats still considered being concervative ,

Good luck,
    Flexicore ADR 2004 resulting nerve damage l4l5 Fusion 2006 same level, 2009 hardware removal with lami !
    2012 scs implant ,
  • My previous PM doctors nurse told me about a lady that had exactly the same thing happen, so they had her take the pill and wash it down with a cup of water right there in front of them, then had her come back that afternoon amd the test still showed negative! Apparantely in some people it just doesnt show up for some reason. Very Wierd!! Guess your one of the lucky ones. Good luck - when do you get your next urine results back??!!
  • back from the second test. the first was blood, and this one was urine, so we will see what happens this time! the nurse counted the pills and at first thought i was off because she counted from the day i got the script, and not from the i filled it! upon redoing the math, i was right on! it will take about a week to get the results back, so cross our fingers, and hope for a "positive" result:)
  • Some meds show up in a blood test and some only show up in a urin test.

I have only had one test and they did both....urin and blood. I am sure your urin test will be fine.

Patsy W
  • i have never had to take a blood or urine test with my pain dr and the only thing i had to do is sign a contract. he and i laugh because it is not legally binding. basically he can dismiss anyone from is practice that he wants to. the contract is only to help booster his beliefs of someone cheating. i don't know why he doesn't use blood or urine tests. maybe he does with those he thinks are cheating but his office staff stated that they do not know of him using tests. i think they are intimidation issues because dr can use the info to kick you out if he wants to. i also think that it can be used as a warning to not cheat. who pays for tests? he actually makes you pay more because he doesn't believe his patients? i guess i am lucky. i have had 2 pain drs and 2 back surgeons and not one of them uses blood or urine tests. they just complain about insurance companies and the gov't ripping them off. in fact my pain dr was po'd becaue he has to take a test on line about drugs eventhough he has been a pain dr for 30 years.
    I have 4 fusions from L5-3, the latest last May '12 where they fixed my disc that broke.They went through my side this time. I take 40 mg of oxycontin 4x a day and 4 fenatyl lollipops 300 micro gms 4x a day.
  • We looking for a positive urine test because why again? Just to confirm meds are taken? Seems kind of silly if you ask me, If i am eating my pills like it was candy as prescribed then my worry is not how the test will come out, i am more worried what more can we do to help the pain condition,

Now you guys tell me i have to study to pass a urine test,
    Flexicore ADR 2004 resulting nerve damage l4l5 Fusion 2006 same level, 2009 hardware removal with lami !
    2012 scs implant ,
  • We look for positive result Alex so we know you are actually taking the meds as prescribed and not selling them on the street corner.

Now positive and the count is wrong. You are taking not enough or too much.

I saw 1 PM doc here once and he was quick to offer an ESI then pain killers with a contract. The catch was they had their own PT facility and facility to do their ESI shots etc... So as part of the deal for pain killers you agree to PT and shots as they dictate. Great revenue generator :-) Who cares if your pain is better... ;-) I laughed my ass off and left.
  • the need for testing, and don't mind it at all. it helps keep everyone honest, and helps the dr to keep being able to perscribe the meds that i now need!

as for you alex....YES, YOU need too study for the urine test, the rest of us already know how to do it! lol :))(

MY pain is getting worse by the day, and at least finally my teens are helping out more-one did dishes, another is cooking dinner...too bad it only takes me being miserable for this to happen #o

Oh well, tomorrow is another day, and all i can hope for is less pain....

thanks for all your help guys, I really apreciate it!
  • I have to take a urine test every time I go in for my refill of nucynta. A lot of times mine turns out negative for it. (They look at the results that are right on the cup. I think it is because I drink a lot of water, etc. Once in a while they then send my sample to the hospital to do a more extensive test.

However, they have never really said anything to me about it. I just know about it being sent to the hospital because I saw the charge on my bill and asked them about it.

Try not to worry about it too much.
  • the last time i went to my newer gp/pain doc she saw i had not had a test on record and had me take one and reminded me about driving on oxy i would be under the influence, duu. so the next day got a call from doc office. they broke the bottle and spilled pisssssss all over and could i come back and pee in a new bottle for them the next day, so knowing that i would have to drive to them in the morning i did not take my usual night dose of oxy but i did take the the rest flexrill, lycra .
    well a week later i got a letter in the mail from the doc office -it say i fail my test i did not have any drugs in my test and if i fail 1 more test i may have to find a new doc --i called the office and ask WTF and i wanted to see the doc they say i could not get in till the middle of the next week and of coarse have to pay for a office visit or i could just wate till my next reg visit in 2 months.
    well before the 2 months is up i have a appointment with my old gp doc and will see if she will do my pm again since i finely got my insurance back and can go wear ever i want,
    i talked to my old docs nurse she say that the drugs normally stay in urine 3 days and blood 1 day hair and finger nails up to 6 months. unless you have a high metabolism. witch makes a lot of since because that's why i have to take oxy and hydro meds half a dose and at least an hr later the other half or it spins me out witch the doc knows so at the next visit with the new doc i will talk to her about it and tell her why i am going back to old doc
This discussion has been closed.