Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

C5-C6 herniated disc

Krisinda38KKrisinda38 Posts: 7
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:59 AM in Neck Pain: Cervical
Hi. I am new to this forum and web-site and am looking for some advice. Last May I began having neck pain which radiated down my left arm accompanied with numbness and tingling. My doctor diagnosed me with a herniated disc in my C-spine, by my H&P. I went to physical therapy, used the NSAIDS, rest and Ice. My symptoms for the most part resolved themselves. In December the pain started again, but worse. My co-workers noticed that after several weeks of trying the previous recommendations that I still wasn't improving, in fact things where getting worse to the point that I wasn't able to sleep at night due to the pain. I went down to the E.R. and the M.D. got me right in for an MRI. Upon reading the results, he insisted that surgery was my only option. They are as follows:

"at C5-6,there is left paracentral and foraminal large disk protrusion superimposed on mild diffuse disk bulge which contacts and deforms the left hemicord causing moderate central canal stenosis and moderate to advanced left neural foraminal stenosis. There is mild narrowing of right neural foramina due to mild disk bulge and uncovertebral joint arthropathy." There is straightening of cervical lordosis with disc space and narrowing and disc desiccation at C5-6. There is also a type II Modic endplate changes at the anterior/inferior aspect of C5. C6-7,there is mild right uncovertebral joint arthropathy causing mild narrowing of the right neuroforamina.

When I went to the Ortho. for appointment they said I was to young for surgery. Started me on Baclofen and Percocet and Medrol Dose pack. I haven't gotten any relief from the pain. I believe a second opinion is needed.

• How old are you?
    ACDF C4-5 June 23rd, 2011

Another surgery in the near future. I am 26 years old.

Current Meds- Norco 7.5/325, Cymbalta 60mg, Gabapentin, Adderall 20mg
  • I'm 38. I am so ready to consider surgery if it will relieve this arm/scapula pain. Am tired of it!!! Thanks for your response..
  • You definitely need a second opinion, 38 is not too young for a one level cervical fusion.
    ACDF C4-5 June 23rd, 2011

Another surgery in the near future. I am 26 years old.

Current Meds- Norco 7.5/325, Cymbalta 60mg, Gabapentin, Adderall 20mg
  • I'm going to call another Physician in the a.m. I live in rural area and the surgeons around here are probably just not comfortable performing the surgery on me at my age. Glad to hear your recovery is going well. Thanks again.
  • I am now scheduled for a Steroid Epidural injection Friday. Has anyone had this done for Herniated Disc? Did it help relieve the pain? Was the procedure painful? Would greatly appreciate any feedback.:~)
  • I will tell you that surgery is not a guarantee to eliminate pain. I'm almost 1 year post-op and still have pain from traps. I was told that the pain is due to weakness and getting those muscles to fire up has had its ups and downs. You need to get a few different opinions and be realistic about the outcome to follow. If a surgeon promises anything, run the other way! With spine surgery, you really have no idea what your odds are. Good luck and PM me if you want to hear more about my story.
    2011 ACDF C5-6 for Spondylosis with Myleopathy
    2012 L4-5 herniated disc and hernated disc at C4/5 2013 Taking Amitriptyline for headaches
  • My first epidural injection lasted 3 weeks and the pain returned. My second epidural lasted 4 days and the pain returned. My doctor wanted me to get another but I refused. It is a waste of time. Everyone is different. Maybe it will work better for you. Good luck!