Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Cindy's 6 year story

Neck of Steel CindyNNeck of Steel Cindy Posts: 1,064
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:59 AM in New Member Introductions
While I have been a member of spine-health since 2006, I don’t often post about myself, so many of you don’t know my story. I have contemplated telling this for quite some time, and so I thought I would begin again with a NOT-SO-BRIEF introduction. For any who make it all the way through, I hope I can help you in some small way.

My spine situation began in early 2006, when I stupidly took a tumble in the parking lot at my workplace. What I thought was no big deal turned into something that changed my life forever.

I started with some minor arm pain and numbness, which progressed to severe arm pain and weakness. By late summer of that year we decided that surgery was my best option to find relief and get me back to being the workaholic perfectionist/supermom that was my previous life. I literally worked up until midnight the night before surgery, and stopped again at the office on my way to the hospital the day of surgery to sign a few checks and make sure that everything was ready for me to be gone for two weeks. I had always breezed through surgical recoveries (even big ones), and I optimistically thought this one would be no different. My very busy job, along with my 5 children and husband at home, demanded so much of me that there was no way I could be off work for long. At least that is what I thought.

So, I walked into the hospital on the morning of surgery, ready to get on with things and get my neck fixed. I wasn’t even nervous. The ACDF C5 to T1 surgery took just over 2 hours, and while I was in recovery, the surgeon spoke with my husband, telling him he was optimistic that my issues would be fixed. Uh, I wonder how he could say that.

The first thing I realized upon awakening from surgery was that I couldn’t even budge my fingers. I could raise my arm, but the hand and fingers would not move. Strange feeling to look at my hand and realize that it was paralyzed. I then noticed that my other hand was burning like I had frost bite. This soon spread to the whole right side of my body. By the end of the day, we realized that I had partial paralysis with my legs and hands, and that I had lost bladder control as well. (I eventually found out the bowels were affected too). I remember thinking “it is okay, the doctor will take care of me. Just stay calm and try not to cry.” The pain was unbearable. They termed me a quad because all 4 extremities were affected, but I never understood how I could be a quad and yet be able to move some parts.

The next few months were very difficult as I worked my way out of a wheelchair and learned to accommodate for the weakness. At about 6 weeks post op I developed a DVT (blood clot in the deep veins of the leg). Back in the hospital for that. Released 4-5 days later, home for a few days, and then back to the hospital again for pulmonary embolisms. Then I went to an inpatient spinal rehab unit for some physical therapy and bowel/bladder training. I credit the guys at this rehab unit for getting me walking again. They were wonderful. It was the doctor there who reviewed my films and showed me where my spinal cord was damaged during surgery. He diagnosed me as having Brown Seguard Syndrome, which is typically resultant from a knife wound to the cord. I did not have a penetrating wound, but the damage was there anyway. Interestingly enough, my first surgeon simply said that he did not know what went wrong, had never seen it, and that I just needed to be patient.

So that is how my journey began. I fought through the next couple of years, with many ups and downs. I regained full use of my hands and regained enough strength in my legs to give up the wheelchair, then the walker, then the crutches. I walked clumsily, but at least I was walking. About 9 months post op I began having new symptoms and so some imaging was done, revealing that I had not fused. Oh great! Not only did I have a surgical nightmare, but even after all that, I didn’t fuse?!?!! The doctor ordered a bone growth stimulator, but it was too late for it to help. The hardware was stable, which allowed us to wait and see what happened. We played the stimulator game for a while, but my symptoms continued worsening. It was about 20-21 months post op that a new surgeon gave me some hope.

May 2008 I had an anterior/posterior revision and 2 vertebrectomies with strut grafts, cage, rods, plates, screws, etc. The hope was that by removing the vertebral structures it would decompress the spinal cord enough to stop the new stuff going on with my legs. Also, the revision had to be done posteriorly because of the amount of work needed. So they began from the front by removing the old hardware, cleaning out everything, placing a new plate on the front, and then “gently” turned me over to begin the 6 hour posterior process of removing the bone and replacing with beautiful hardware.

When I awoke from this surgery, I had a small relapse to some of the same symptoms with the first surgery. This freaked me out! But the hand stuff only lasted a few hours, and the legs strengthened daily to the point that they were at my baseline level by the time I left the hospital. My surgeon apologized for not telling me that this was a possibility, but reassured me it was all temporary. I completely trusted this surgeon, so I knew all would be okay.

Well, all was “okay” regarding those immediate post op symptoms, but things are far from okay. The surgery recovery was rougher than I expected, but I am a trooper and fought through valiantly. I was optimistic that this would get me back to living a productive life again. The past couple of years had been difficult on my family, and my children needed their “supermom” back. The injury didn’t just happen to me, it happened to my entire family, and it was an adjustment period for all of us. We were all so hopeful that this surgery would be the answer to giving us back our old life. My job was now history by this time, but I didn’t feel too bad because I had learned that being a workaholic was not what I wanted out of my life. Family is what is important, and while I needed to be able to help support my family, working more than one has to is not good for anyone’s family.

That second surgery was almost 4 years ago. To this day, I still struggle with intense burning pain on the entire right side of my body. Some days my legs are stronger than others, but they are still a problem. I am managing the bowel/bladder stuff, and in fact, it has improved some. A new problem crept up following the 2nd surgery. I require some sort of head support, as my neck muscles just can’t hold the neck up without causing spasming and pain. So if I go out shopping or doing anything that would require me to be upright for longer than about 10 minutes, I take my wheelchair that is now equipped with a good head support. This helps me to live my life, and I have learned to look at it as a tool to help me be involved in life. Otherwise I stay inside my house all the time, and that is not good. I can deal with the leg weakness and pain; it is the head/neck stuff that is kicking my hiney. If I do anything that requires looking down or using my arms out front, the pain becomes severe and I have to stop. So I use my laptop while laying down and it is propped on my knees. I have learned to adapt the way I do many things, and I require help with a lot of simple household chores. This frustrates me tremendously, as I have always been independent and a perfectionist. But what is important is that I am learning to like the new me, learning to adapt, and I realize that I still have value, even if I am a totally different person physically.

Yeah, I get frustrated and I spend many days laying in bed. My pain is never fully controlled because I refuse strong narcotics (did I mention I am stubborn and scared to death of what will happen 20 years down the road if I allow myself to use stronger medications?) Yes, there are many things I want to do that I can’t. But there are many things that I can still do; I am still a mom to 5 wonderful children who need me, any way they can have me. Yes, I worry about being a burden to my husband. He reassures me that he will do whatever is necessary to keep me. Aw, what a sweetheart he is! I have learned to find joy in the little things that I can do. Rather than tackling big projects, I do small ones. I was a wonderful seamstress and this was my passion. I would sew for hours on end and love to see a beautiful dress created by my fingers. Now, someone else cuts the fabric out for me, and I only sew for a few minutes at a time, but I still sew. I had hand controls installed on my car so that I could go back to driving. Ah, freedom again! There are many things that we can do to help us get back to living life. I stick around here on spine-health so that I can help someone who may be going through some of the stuff I did. Through the years I have learned a lot, and if I can share that knowledge with any of you, then that would be a wonderful thing.

So, where am I today? A year ago I was diagnosed with a post-traumatic tethered spinal cord. Basically this means that the cord injury formed scar tissue, which grew and attached the spinal cord to the dura. Rather than the cord being like a piece of cooked spaghetti floating around freely, it is now tied down and doesn’t move. I also have a syrinx at the C5-6-7 levels, which is something we are watching. I am told that both the tethered cord and the syrinx can be problematic down the road, and that they may already be what is causing my symptoms now. I lose use of both legs temporarily—that is very scary! So far, it always comes back, but I have taken plenty of falls, and have been stuck with no way to get up many times. This is where I use the patience that my doctor told me to learn, lol. My journey is not over, it is just beginning. But I have learned to accept it for what it is, and am trying daily to make the best of it.

Surviving chronic pain one day at a time, praying for a reprieve because living another 40 years like this doesn't sound too fun!

• Cindy for sharing your story with us. You are an real inspiration. Although I have been here a year and a half, I did not know your story.

I know that there is another member going through similiar issues with a family member. You will be so inspiring to her and her family as well as everyone else here on SH, no matter what their issue is.

I am sure that not all days were upbeat with a positive attitude, and I am sure that it took time to accept things,but with time, and support, it happens. You sound so strong, and determined to make the best of things. You are still the same person that you were before (mom, wife, friend)Your positive outlook, determination and love of family will take you far.

Thank you again for sharing. Hugs,support, prayers, and good vibes coming your way.

>:D< Karen
    >:D< >:-D< : Karen
    L3-S1 herniation and bulges, stenosis, mod facet,ddd,impinged nerves,coccydinia
    discectomy/lami July 2011-unsuccessful
    adr L5-S1 Feb 2012
  • dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 9,842
    What I love about you (besides your compassion and honesty) is your determination. I've known you from those early days at Spine-Health and I know some of the problems you have had to deal with.

No matter what you were faced with, you found ways to deal with them and still come up on top.

Sure, as you said, its not over, there is still pain, but you will never give up.

Your story is something for many new members to read and understand.

Thanks for sharing your story.
    Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com
  • Thank you for sharing your story. I'm sure it wasn't easy telling it, reliving those toughest times again, but in doing so, you've helped many here to understand never to give up.

I admire you for being so tenacious and strong. I also admire your family for being there for you, especially your husband. He is a wonderful man (I've met him, so I know from personal experience) and you're lucky that he loves you enough to take his vows seriously, like mine. And your beautiful kids - I don't doubt for a moment that you've made them stronger just from watching what you've gone through and how you've handled it all.

Thanks again for letting us into your life.

Take care my friend,

• I also want to thank you for sharing your story!~ Wow. You are an inspiration!
  • I haven't stopped by here to visit in a very long time....probably a couple of years now. But I've occasionally thought about you and wondered how you were doing. I was so pleased to find this recent post and as I was anxiously reading through it I was optimistically hoping, wishing, to read about your continuous, improved recovery. I am so sad to hear that has not happened. A tethered cord? Oh my! I can only imagine how you felt when you heard this news.

But it's good to hear that you're still active on this site and helping others....this is who you are. Your kids may not have the supermom they used to have but instead they have a hero, a true inspiration, someone they can look up to and be proud of.

Take care...and know that you are loved and respected!

• Thank you for sharing your story.
    You are inspirational with how you are coping with all that has happened to you.
    It has been just what I needed to read.
    I have been feeling rather depressed lately with how my spinal problems just go on and on and even seem to be getting worse.
    I am still working, although they are not being at all supportive and I am now waiting for the report from an Occupational Therapy Assessment. She said that in her opinion, I am able to continue in my job but she said that the school where I work do not to follow her recommendations, and if they said there weren't able to keep me on, I would have to be signed off on disability. That really shocked me and has given me a knock to my confidence.

I wish you well and hope that with a new slant on your life and what you want to do with it, that you will feel fulfilled and enjoy your family.

• Thanks for the replies.

Karen, you betcha. I've had TOO MANY of those days that I didn't feel positive. About 2 years ago I began seeing a psychologist, who helped me to accept the person I am. She also helped me to look at things differently. Rather than looking at not being able to do something, I learned to see the positives in what I can do. I went through a period of severe depression (it took me a long time to accept that I was depressed). That being said, there are still plenty of days that I have to fight to keep going.

Ron, you have a way of making anyone feel better about themselves. Thanks for the kind words.

Cathie, you're always so good to support everyone here. Thanks for your comments. And yes, my husband is wonderful. I couldn't have made it through without him. Just today he came home to find me on the floor unable to get up. He was so patient and concerned. He never expresses his frustration with how much he has to do for me.

Sally, I'd be happy if I can give just one person the courage to keep going. We've all had tough trials--we wouldn't be on this site if we didn't have spine problems.

Surviving chronic pain one day at a time, praying for a reprieve because living another 40 years like this doesn't sound too fun!
  • Oh my goodness! I am so happy to see you on here again. YOU helped me to get through some of the toughest days. I'm hoping that your absence from here means that your neck is all healed up and you are doing well.

And you finally got that mustang! I saw your post about getting it. Cool. Just don't go driving too fast and crashing!

Fill me in on how life has been treating you. You can send me a PM and I'll give you my email.
  • I completely understand your frustration with it going on and on. It is normal to feel depressed about it. This stuff is all consuming and effects every part of your life. I'm glad to hear you are still working. My advice would be to push on as long as you can, of course without hurting yourself. You mentioned you work at a school. What kind of job do you have? Schools are typically fairly accomodating, but working with kids can also be very demanding. I see that you have lumbar, thoracic, and cervical issues. Is your lumbar better after the 2010 surgery?
  • Cindy! I'm so glad you shared your story. So many people will take away so much from it, the best being to not give up, and what you said again in your post above, to not kick yourself for not being able to do something, but to look at what you can do. I'm like you, I spend most of my time at home on my laptop, but in my recliner, thanks to the spasms, and my leg issues (not spine related, at least for the most part). You are so very lucky to have such a wonderful family around you, but they are just as lucky to have you, you are such an amazing example to your children, and I'm sure your hubby is so proud of how far you've come, and how you've fought through all of this, you're as much his rock as he is yours!
    APROUD CANADIANveteranButNOTa doctor, my thoughts are my own
  • I am a Teaching Assistant in a primary school, working this year with 9/10 year olds.
    I returned to school in September 2010 after my fusion. The school was very supportive then, but in September 2011 we had a new temporary Head who is upsetting staff left, right and centre. There have already been about 5 staff leave since she joined. In the first week of school I went to talk to her about some hospital appointments that I had, and she said that I must change them to out of school hours. She didn't know about my spine problems, so I filled her in and explained that I couldn't chose the time of my appointments (NHS in the UK). She continued to be very hostile towards me and even told me that I have so many hospital appointments, that I should live at the hospital!

Things have got progressively nasty and I now have the Union involved, who have said that she is failing me in her duty of care and is breaking the law in several ways. Hopefully she is only with us until next September, unless they can't employ a new Head.

I love working with the kids, and hope to keep working with them for as long as I can. I doubt that I will make retirement age (another 10 years), but I want to work as long as I can.

My fusion and decompression in 2010 definately helped a lot, but I am starting to get the symptoms returning. Occassional sciatica in my right buttock and upper leg, electric shocks in my toes of both feet, cramping in my feet and lower back pain.

Also the pains and symptoms in my thoracic area and my neck and arms. I still haven't been told which area is causing the various symptoms. A neurologist who did EMG and nerve testing of my arms did tell me that he felt that everything was coming from my neck compression of the cord.

But can sciatica be caused by neck problems?
    I know that it can cause symptoms in the legs, such as weakness and gait difficulties, but can it cause sciatica and electric shocks in the toes. That sounds like lumbar spine to me.

It is very frustrating that no-one seems to do quite enough tests to find out exactly what is going on. I worry that things will be left for so long that I end up with permanent cord damage. That is if I haven't got it already! I have read that this spasticity I get in my legs, feet and around my back and abdomen is caused by cord damage.

They keep leaving me for another 6 months to see how I am then. They don't actually tell me of any symptoms that would mean that I should let them know. Even my GP is worried about me, and has referred me for a second opinion, but this is the UK so I am waiting for that too.

I have to trust that they are the experts and know what they are doing. It is a shame that they don't take the time to explain their thinking on all this waiting and what would mean that it would be time for surgery.

• Jelly,
    I don't know the answer to your question. Maybe it depends on if you are truly feeling sciatica or if it is something else. I know that I had absolutely no back problems or back pain when I went in for neck surgery. I awoke to major burning on the right side, including from my arm pit to my toes. One doctor questioned if it was from my back, but the only way that could be is if they dropped me and hurt me in surgery, lol. The burning is in my hip and buttock also, so the docs did want to pin it off as back pain. And the burning is the same intensity above the lumbar spine as it is below. But the MRI at that time showed no reason for it. Now I have some low back stuff on the MRI, but that is new. Anyway, I don't know how you will tell whether it is coming from your neck cord compression or from your back.

• It is confusing as to what is causing my various symptoms. As I had lumbar problems at three levels and only one level was decompressed and fused, I am aware that this could be from the adjoining levels. One doctor did tell me that I might need more than one level fused, or an interspace device fitted. Only the slipped level was dealt with so it is possible that the other levels are now causing symptoms.

I did have a full spine MRI scan, but at the appointment to review it, the neurosurgeon only discussed my neck problems. I think this was because he was most concerned by the cord compression. I am hoping to get another (2nd opinion) appointment before too long, and I will ask about the other levels then. I know that I do have problems in my thoracic spine too with one level compressing my cord slightly there too. Again, no mention was made of this.

The neurosurgeon that I am waiting to see, does deal with thoracic spine surgery too, so hopefully he will be prepared to discuss that level. The ortho surgeon who did my lumbar fusion, when I told him of my symptoms and tightening around my chest, just said that he didn't deal with thoracic spine levels.

• Hi; and i just wanna tell ya, after reading your post i am completely speechless.
    With everything you have gone thru, and still have waiting for you. I am truly amazed at your strenght and will power.
    You have shown that you set your mind to something and you will not let your limitations stop you from succeeding.
    I also believe that a stronger power then us has a plan for you, and you are carrying the message.
    Just wanna wish you the very best at whatever you decide to do. With your spirit you will always succeed.

• hello there my darling Cindy,been a long time since we chatted and you made me realise that ive been around here 6yrs also!!!!.....THAT IS SCARY!!!!
    weve been through alot together and our little crew whom i honestly think of on a daily basis.
    we need to get back together again and have a good old catch up.i actually think alot of the crew are still hanging around here.
    i am in contact with doof still and she is going through another surgery soon.
    miss you guys loads and loads.

LOVE P
  • They say woman are mentaly stronger then guys. Cindy post just goes to prove that,

God bless you, Woman mentaly strong while guys are just mentaly mental! Eh?

Very sorry Cindy. The story is so shocking realy, Dont even realy know what to say of the complications you had that should never of hapened, They only damaged a nerve root during my surgery and sometimes pain gets so bad i dont know if i am coming or going,

I cant even imagine how i would of been dealing in your situation,

Best wishes and stay strong hun!
    Flexicore ADR 2004 resulting nerve damage l4l5 Fusion 2006 same level, 2009 hardware removal with lami !
    2012 scs implant ,
  • Thanks for sharing your story.
  • LizLiz Posts: 7,832
    I am sorry, as I have been away I have only just had the time to read your post, I had no idea that you had gone through so much, I admire your strength and am so glad you shared your story with us, you are an inspiration to us all. Thank you.

Liz, Spine-health Moderator

Spinal stenosis since 1995
    Lumber decompression surgery S1 L5-L3[1996]
    Cervical stenosis, so far avoided surgery
  • Hi Cindy,
    Thank you SO MUCH for sharing your story. I can only imagine how hard it was for you to type your story... much less the internal strength you have had to get through everything to this point.
    I've had four cervical fusions in the past, the first two failed to fuse, the third was great (while it lasted), and now my fourth has failed.
    I'm going in on Thursday for my fifth fusion. This one will be through the back, fusing C3 or C4 through T1 or T2 (depending upon what the surgeon finds once he goes in). Your story is such an inspiration to me-my greatest fear is what can and may go wrong from this next adventure; or even if it goes well, what the repercussions will be, having such an extensive fusion.
    I'm sure you never wanted to be anyone's inspiration in this manner; but please know that you've helped me today, as I'm sure you've helped so many others. The ripples from the words you have typed will be long-lasting, and reach many others through the years. Thank you.
  • Neck of Steel Cindy said:
    And yes, my husband is wonderful. I couldn't have made it through without him. Just today he came home to find me on the floor unable to get up. He was so patient and concerned. He never expresses his frustration with how much he has to do for me.

Sally, I'd be happy if I can give just one person the courage to keep going. We've all had tough trials--we wouldn't be on this site if we didn't have spine problems.
    I just joined, and this is the first post I read. No matter how bad my back gets, I'll just think of your story and will have enough courage to push through the pain. So, your mission is accomplished.

As for your wonderful husband, it sounds to me like he has such a wonderful wife and mother to his children, he doesn't get frustrated. He does everything out of love, I'd bet.

Thank you for sharing.
  • Thank you Cindy! You have helped me to redirect my own feel sorry for myself feelings and realize I can too fight this.. Your story is amazing God Bless..

• wow... i so admire your courage and optimism, you have been through so much and still huge hurdles to face by the sounds of it! if i can just remember your story over the next few months (due to have my first ever cervical surgery ( vertebrectomy c6, and whatever else they do when they get in there!) on the 16th may. i am scared as i know i have had this for 5 years already, am keeping fingers crossed no permenant damage has been done. i hope for a little of your bravery. thank you for sharing your story.
  • Thank you welshlady. We all have our different challenges just have to learn to deal with them the best we can. I am actually doing fairly well, and I seldom use my wheelchair anymore. The tethered cord thing has remained stable for the last little while, so I'm optimistic about that at this time.

I have a question. It is rare that I read of people having vertebrectomies. Typically people start with ACDF (discectomy and fusion) unless there is something leading to removal of the bone. How did you injure your neck and what is leading to the vertebrectomy? I would assume they will do your surgery from the back side. I'd love to hear more details.

• Hi, the story started 5 years ago with neck, shoulder and arm pain, i had my shoulder manipulated then a couple of years later scraped and cleaned out, (then i was diagnosed with fibromyalgia and just knew that was wrong so went and insisted in seeing the shoulder surgeon!) so last oct they did an mri scan, saw the spinal specialist in dec and was told that i had congenital fusion of c3/4 (i knew that) and that all the discs in my neck were bulging and a couple of them compressing on chord so was told to expect a discectomy and fusion of c5/c6/c7. was expecting this until a couple of weeks ago when i went for my pre op assessment, a different 'fellow' of specialist looked at scan and pointed out that a good section was devoid of any spinal fluid, that the chord was compressed in several spots and that my c6 was out of line, he wrote up the anterial vertebrectomy and showed the specialist the view that he looked at and the specialist agreed straight away that was what was needed. (it was the same mri scan mind... so he couldnt have looked that close in dec!) my pain is awful, especially in head, pain, pins and needles, numbness in my arm, spasms of my right hand and occassionally now my left one too. i am reduced to a shuffle (a gp said that wasnt because of my neck but specialist says yes). all the confusion doesnt exactly give me confidence but the specialist has supposedly got a good reputation! all i know is that i have now told them that when they get in there they had better do everything they need to cos i am not sure i am brave enough to go through it twice!

sorry its a ramble but actually it helps to vent my frustration out!! so thanks again!
  • Hi Cindy :wave:

I have no idea how I missed this post until this morning.

Your story is truly a story of strength :)

I don't know if you are aware but there is a software that you talk to and it will post your words for you on forums and such. It is called Dragon Naturally Speaking.
    L1 - S2 "gone" useless in 1 way or another. DDD. RA. Bone Spurs. Tons of nerve damage/issues. Stenosis. Both knees replaced. 50 yrs old. I had a great fall (hence my user name) at age 41 and it has been a domino effect every since.
  • I can type well, so no problems with that. My hands still have some issues, but the paralysis of the left hand resolved within a few months of the surgery. But thanks for the tip on the software. Perhaps that will come in handy one day as the tethered cord thing progresses.

• So it will be from the front, which is good. My doctor has stated to me that any time he does posterior, he tells the patient that it will be a painful recovery. So you should be relieved that they don't have to put rods in the back for support.

Removing the vertebral structure helps to relieve any pressure that is on the cord. I can understand why your doctor wants to do that from the symptoms you have. I speak only from experience though--I'm not in the medical profession.

I hope that it helps you and stops the progression of your symptoms. Does your doctor think it will restore function, or just prevent it from getting worse?
  • he is very clear that it is to stop further paralysis but his 'fellow' said that it wasnt unreasonable to hope for a little improvement and pain relief, but that to consider it a bonus. i was told it was a major op but just didnt think to ask to much about recovery as i think i really was stunned.
  • he is very clear that it is to stop further paralysis but his 'fellow' said that it wasnt unreasonable to hope for a little improvement and pain relief, but that to consider it a bonus. i was told it was a major op but just didnt think to ask to much about recovery as i think i really was stunned.
  • Cindy,

Thank you so much for sharing your story. I cannot begin to imagine what courage it had to take to tell your story, and be the one to live with what you went through.

I have been having a real rough time lately with the depression and feeling as though I am losing everything, but you really put it into perspective. I will always try to think of your story when I feel like all is lost. I still have my two boys, husband, siblings, and mom and dad who love me no matter what I can or cannot do.

Take care of yourself and thanks again for sharing your inspiring, courageous story!