Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

I haven't posted in a long time

j.howiejj.howie Brentwood, Ca., USAPosts: 1,730
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:59 AM in Recovering from Surgery
I just haven't had anything positive to say. And have not been in a very good frame of mind, most of the time.
I think my mind shut down when I heard the word surgery. My wife was with me. And she said most of this was explained to me pre at that time. And the changes were explained to me post op. But because they couldn't get the pain managed I was just whacked and in never, never land.
But I knew the fusions were done in 2 parts, anterolateral and the other posterior. And when he finished those He was going to due an exploratory and clean up on a past surgery (L,4, 5,&S1
But that turned into a 5 hr. decompression, open laminectomy. And that's an animal I knew nothing about. And even after reading up on it. I was very concerned that I just went through this unimaginable pain for nothing. It was supposed to give me 5 to 30% reduction in pain. But a open laminectomy and decompression is much different than a micro D. Which was the only thing I was familiar with.
I went in to my 2 month evaluation with the surgeon. And he calmed my fears. He said for a average age man in decent shape it would be a 1 year recovery. And at least 3 to 4 mos. before It could be considered a success or failure. Well I'm 63 and for the last 18 mos. I've been sedentary. So there would be a completely different schedule for me. I haven't been able to walk more that 5 min. x 2 a day. And anything more brings on uncontrollable pain. And the pain 2 mos. post surgery is still a 5 to 7. w/ meds.
But he said that none of it surprised him. And the important thing was the x rays looked good and the fusion has already started.
So I guess I'll have to get used to slow, having a new meaning!
Click my name to see my Medical history
You get what you get, not what you deserve......I stole that from Susan (rip)
Today is yours to embrace........ for tomorrow, who knows what might be starring you in the face!

• Do you have a brace?
    If so, you could be a tortoise with a shell!

I had an open laminectomy with wide undercutting of facet joints and decompression when I had my fusion.

I am approaching 2 years later and do feel much better in some ways. Shame that I seem to be getting other spinal problems.
    I have been VERY fed up about it the last couple of weeks. I am not ready to become this person!

Jim, I do hope that you will really start to feel some improvement soon so that you will have some hope for the future return. >:D<

• Hi Jim,

Sorry to hear that you have been having such a rubbish time. I understand only too well how hard it is when recovery just inches along. At least the surgeon was positive and seems to think your progress is normal. We have to take comfort in these small things!

Keep going! It sounds like you will get there in the end.

• I just passed a year since my fusion and six months since the open decompression and I am finally feeling like I am going to be fit and healthy again, so I can tell you it WILL get better. I remember those days when it was a struggle to simply put one foot in front of the other - today I walked 2 miles:)

I decided I needed to get back on this board to post some Hope for others - hope it helps you a bit today!
  • I'm sorry you've had a tough time and that your recovery is slower than you expected. Hopefully, now that you have received reassurance from your surgeon that the x-rays look good, you can start to be a little more optimistic about your future knowing that your surgeon seems happy with your progress.

After my revision surgery in December 2011 I have been trying to tell myself that I need to look at my progress in terms of weeks and not days. That is, that I can do a little more this week than I did last week. I do not understand why my recovery has been so slow this time round.

I do understand how frustrated and depressed you must be feeling as I'm going through the same stuff right now, and I know how hard it is, but try and have as positive an outlook as possible. I tend to TELL myself this at least once a day ha!

Before you know it, I really hope you'll hopefully look back in a few months time and see just how far you've come and how well you are doing (and I hope that'll be the case for myself too).
    2 x Microdiscectomy 2005 / PLIFusion 2-level 2010 / revision surgery 2011 / NEVRO Senza spinal cord stimulator implanted February 2013. I WILL NOT GIVE IN / UP !!
  • j.howiejj.howie Brentwood, Ca., USAPosts: 1,730
    SueD, preese, Nel, and jelly. I wanted to let you all know that I'm finally noticing some progress. It's ever so slow and the progression is so small. That it's hard to even notice. But I realised that while I wasn't really paying attention to it. That I've cut way back on my pain meds. In fact, I'm only taking the amount that I was taking before surgery! I am so sorry that you guys are in the same or similar boat that I am.
    Jelly, I remember when you had your surgery. You were having such a rough go of it. That your hubby was posting for you. And you had so many of us rooting for you. I hope we all have some better days and are able to see the light at the end of the tunnel!.....Soon!
    Click my name to see my Medical history
    You get what you get, not what you deserve......I stole that from Susan (rip)
    Today is yours to embrace........ for tomorrow, who knows what might be starring you in the face!