Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Pain med shortage????

nmacnnmac Posts: 112
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:59 AM in Pain Medications
I am getting very frustrated with this.
First it was skelaxin generic. If I don't use generic my insurance only covers 50%. I went to 3 pharmacies to find it and only had to pay my usual $25. This went on for 4 months and lately I have been lucky as they just got a small shipment.
Last month I had to shop for MSContin 30 ER. found a different generic than I have had before. It didn't seem to work as well. Today I got it at my usual Pharmacy. It is again different. Much larger pills from a company named Mylan. I haven't ever seem this name on any of my RX. I mentioned this to the pharmacy assistant and she said she hadn't seen it either. I really hate calling around to search for Meds.
Why is there a shortage? I have a conspiracy theory that big Pharma and my Insurance Co. Are in cahoots. Have you been having this happen to you? I live on the west coast. Is this only happening out West? What are your thoughts?
Thanks for letting me vent!!!
Severe DDD. Klippel Feil Deformity. Cervical Foraminatomy that turned into Lamy. I have tried so many treatments, therapy's and medications.

• My Fentanyl patch is made by Matrix which is a sister company of Mylan, and honestly I find no difference between generics and brand names, and besides the pain management agreement that I signed with my PM Doc specifically says to use only one pharmacy to get all of my medications, so I don't go shop around. One time they didn't have my break through medication, but they order it, and they had it for me two days later, so maybe you might want to stay with one pharmacy only so you can create a relationship with the pharmacy staff, that way they know the day of the month that you get your refills, and they will have your meds available to you. Try that and see if it works better for you.

Take Care,

• and much of your meds in the generic pile are getting outsourced like everything else. They are being moved to manufacturing facilities overseas. Think India and China etc... Expect to see this more and more.

Once the original RX expires in 7 years and the original pharma company no longer holds the rights to it. The most popular drugs will be made by several companies and they are all generic.
  • The medical profession is also having issues getting pain medications. I've tried ordering Morphine and another drug called Versed for our ambulance service and they are both on a nationwide backorder. It's not hurting us too bad because we still have valium and dilaudid available. But anytime a drug is on a nationwide backorder, it makes me wonder what's really going on with it.
    Several Epidurals, L4-S1 360 ALIF, Numerous Facet Joint Injections, RFA x2
  • I too have used drug co Mylan and had no issues.. I have to take what ever is the cheapest or what pharm has in stock as of my insurance.

I have had way too many experiences with this same issue. I told my Dr about it and typed out a list of pharms I am forced to go to. About every 6 months I get a print out from all pharms I used and make notes on each about why I had to go to z instead of x. That way if I ever have to show proof I have it. My regular pharm told that with this info Drs can call in and ask if that specific pharm was ut of said drug on that date.

BUT I also get at least 95% of all my meds at one certain pharm and made friends with 3 of the pharms there. I would make small talk and thank you and such. After about 6 months of this the 1 pharm told me that the reason they are often out of my 1 med is I am the ONLY one using it (It is a huge pharm so I was surprised). So we worked out that they get their meds delivered on Thursday so I was to call two Thursday before my meds were due and speak directly to pharm and he would add my med to the order. This worked out great. THEN the other day I was picking up a different non pain med and he said to me "no worries about that issues I got you covered for the next 2 months".

So a relationship with pharm and your Drs office staff is very important.

I HAD to get this corrected as I am not allowed/able to get my script filled until the same day I need them and we only have 3 pharms in this hick town and 1 of them is a pharm that does not like people on strong pain meds.

I would go to head pharm and ask why there is this issue and what you can do to solve it.

I have also had very bad experiences with pharm people who I could tell did not want to give me said pain med. If that is what you are picking up on I would change pharms :)

PS: also most pharms only get these type of meds in 1 day a week, so say they get it on Mon and you go in Fri they may very well be out. They are not allowed to hold any back for specific persons, but you can suggest that they order more.

L1 - S2 "gone" useless in 1 way or another. DDD. RA. Bone Spurs. Tons of nerve damage/issues. Stenosis. Both knees replaced. 50 yrs old. I had a great fall (hence my user name) at age 41 and it has been a domino effect every since.
  • I'm thinking couple of possibilities here. Since many of the generics are made overseas. If any of the ones you use are manufactured in Thailand then you will have problems. After all that flooding damage to many facilities. We are now feeling the pain of their shutdowns. In the computer industry certain disk drives are almost out. The stock pile and supply chains are down to next to nothing. We just got our last shipment of the ones we need and told March to April before supply chains are restocked.

This seems to also be another occurrence more prevalent today with more manufacturing overseas.
  • All the more reason America needs to level the playing field. We have to find a way to be financially competitive so that "Made in USA" can show up again.
    Several Epidurals, L4-S1 360 ALIF, Numerous Facet Joint Injections, RFA x2
  • I kind of figured that the meds. are imported. I would like to think we would make our own drugs but why would they be any different from most other items. I am trying to buy more American. It is really hard to find most things. It would sure help the economy if produced more of our own goods.
    Severe DDD. Klippel Feil Deformity. Cervical Foraminatomy that turned into Lamy. I have tried so many treatments, therapy's and medications.