Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Approved for Social Security Disability in 5 Months

xMARxxMAR Posts: 125
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:59 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
I wanted to say that after all my surgeries with no positive results, only worse, that i was awarded SSD in 5 months. I had 2 of my surgeons back me up totally. I hired an attorney, but being it was approved in 5 months, which is the waiting period and no back pay my attorney charged me nothing. I was very easy and I never had to see a ss doctor or anything. Just got my first check deposited today and had to celebrate. I just wanted to let you all know that Social Security Disability is NOT always the horror stories of years of waiting that we always hear. I hope whoever can't work and needs to file the best of luck that I had.
advertisement

Comments

• xMAR said:
    I wanted to say that after all my surgeries with no positive results, only worse, that i was awarded SSD in 5 months. I had 2 of my surgeons back me up totally. I hired an attorney, but being it was approved in 5 months, which is the waiting period and no back pay my attorney charged me nothing. I was very easy and I never had to see a ss doctor or anything. Just got my first check deposited today and had to celebrate. I just wanted to let you all know that Social Security Disability is NOT always the horror stories of years of waiting that we always hear. I hope whoever can't work and needs to file the best of luck that I had.
    Congratulations now u can focus on your health!
  • Thanks Bonster, that's exactly what i'm doing. The legs and feet pain are terrible in the morning after laying down all night and taking no pain meds, but after a while when everything settles down I walk a quarter mile. I'm trying to keep moving and yes I could loose about 30 pounds, which would help too. I hope everyone out there that can't work because of sitting or standing problems and being on heavy paain meds can get a fast and truely honest help with SSD. I kept trying to work up until my employer said no more and had to let me go. I had a very sedentary jog, but couldn't sit for more than 15 minutes without having to stand to switch positions. Both surgeons knew I was trying very hard to be productive and work, but told me I was done.
  • Congrats, on getting approved for SSD.

I was much the same as you. Got approved the 1st time didnt need to go thru the appeal process. Except luckily mine was approved in about 3 months time.
    That is definitely one less thing to worry about, where your gonna get money from.

Semper Fi and oorah
  • Hey blazer, thanks for the email devil dog. I'm assuming you are a marine too. It's nice to hear happy endings to stories, well if you can call you and I happy endings, but yea your'e right, money was been a big worry and getting approved as fast as you and I were is a god send. Take care brother, give me a pm sometime. Semper Fi Brother, Kevin
  • SavageSavage United StatesPosts: 4,847
    The Disability lawyers and process is one of the best things available to us. :)

I too agree...now you can focus more on taking care of you and your pain or whatever your body wants/needs that day.

Thanks for sharing as I know many others will benefit from hearing how things went for you!
    And..so happy for you!

moderator, ~~savage

• Yea I been fighting about 2 years... I am thinking my lawyer is lazy. Im getting sick of it. I'm having l2 - s1 fusion in 6 days. I'm scared about money. I have a lot of other thing wrong. When I was 13 I got hit and messed me up.... Does anyone know what I can do to put a fire under my lawyer butt?
  • MetalneckMetalneck Island of Misfit toysPosts: 1,302
    Your lawyer may be waiting till after your surgery to show that you have done everything to help change your condition.

Have you discussed a "dire needs" letter with your lawyer?? If not you should .... he will know what it is.

I hope your surgery goes well .... even though its just one piece of the overall SSD puzzle.

The only good thing I can say about delays in determination is ...... Backpay!! It makes the decision a little sweeter - after marching through the desert for (months)(years). Plus it will make the qualification for Medicare instant or lesser of a wait.

Best wishes for you - endure - overcome!!

d
  • Hey thanks I will call them Now.
  • SavageSavage United StatesPosts: 4,847
    ...if your lawyer has been making applications and or guiding you for the 2 yrs? or just nothing?

The dire need letter is probably worthwhile and as said ..lawyer should know about it.

Lawyer should have known about it when you started 2 years ago. It maddens me when we are expected to be experts at everything....when they know of this dire letter and should have brought it up.

Personally...I would consider another lawyer if things didn't seem improved...with this lawyer's attitude and productivity. You probably have enough to do with docs and your pain. Lawyer should be helping you.
    Best of luck to you!

moderator, ~~savage

• I have been trying for 2 years to get on ssd and I have been with my lawyer a year. They say I have a yes case and what I don't get is why are they not doing anything about it.... I will talk to them about the letter. Then if they don't do anything about it I'm going to get me a new lawyer. I'm sick of it. I bet they are waiting so they can beta bigger check.
  • Timae, I know it's aboout time or has been time for your 4 level fusion. I will be praying for you in hopes of a positive recovery and that finally you can win that SSD case. The surgery you are going through is HUGE. I went through it also. It's going to take a lot of time and work on your part to keep moving afterwards. It will be tough! Don't want to scare you, but just tell you how it was for me. I feel very confident that you will win your case (even though I have no knowledge about winning a SSD case), but the big thing I feel that got my case approved so quickly and others too is if you have a surgeon or even family doctor that will back you up when they fill out their report about your condition. The surgeon that did my 4 level lumbar fusion was no help at all for me, but the surgeon that did the si joint fusions did back me up. Also, my VA doctor was behind me 100%. They all knew I was for real and not looking to collect SSD for nothing. I wanted to work and tried my best until my employer let me go last June. Your Dr of surgeon backing you up is the BEST thing you have to work with. Keep us updated as to how you are doing. We are one BIG family helping one another. Kevin
  • Thanks both of you for the comments. I really hope all goes well for timae too! The SS is sometimes not fair as to people they approve and disapprove.
  • Hello, it's so nice to hear of somebody that didn't have any problem's getting SSDI. It took me almost three year's to the day before I got mine. I guess having nine back surgeries and another four on my ankle is not worthy of a quick decision. Anyway's I would like to ask you about your SI joint fusion's and how you're doing with them. I've been having alot of problem's with mine, and have tried all the shot's and therapy they can do, and their recommending fusion and I'm not sure about it so I'm glad I found you. So if you could just let me know how you're doing with it I would appreciate it. They say the reason is, as you probably know, because of having the botton level's fused it put's alot of pressure on the SI joint's, so any info would be great as to rather I should do the surgery or not. Also, I would like to thank you and blazer for your service to our country, I really appreciate it. I have a son that want's to graduate college and then join the service to be a medic, but it's really hard to let him go do that, and he graduate's in May. But I guess I'll have to let him go, and just be a proud parent who pray's alot. Again thank's for any info.
    11 back surgeries, fused from L3/S1. Now have four herniated disc in neck from C3/C7. And two new herniated disc in lumbar at L1-2, L2-3. Passed 73 kidney stones, five surgeries on left ankle that now has seven screws in it and is fused. Both shoulders
  • Pig farmer, first of all thanks for the recognition of all of us veterans to help serve our country. You should be very proud of your son!! Yes my si joints caused me a lot of problems after my lumbar fusion and like you said, it happens because of all the brunt your low back took goes to your si joint which can't take it. Both sides of mine were bad and decided it is best to do one side at a time. You will be on crutches with no weight bearing on that side for 12 weeks. it was rather a lot easier recovery and surgery than the lumbar fusion I thought. I don't have the buttocks pain that I had before. You don't have any limited mobility because of it being fused either. I was hoping it would solve the leg and feet pain that I have had, but it didn't do anything for that. I have a failed lumbar fusion and I guess it's really hard for me to notice any other improvements except for the sharp pain in the buttocks. I wish i had more promising news to give you. 9 surgeries and 3 years to get approved for SSDI. Sometimes the system just doesn't seem fair does it? Keep us posted as to what you decide to do. My prayers go out to you. take care, Kevin
  • Hey thanks for those words. So what type of work can I do after.. Plus how long did it take you to recover from the level 4 fusion surgery? If I get my surgery done will I have to do my SI later on in life? My back doc that pops my back he's helping the most. My surgery put on his notes that If I have this surgery I will be disable. I don't want to be on it long only time to get some schooling done. I not a person that can do nothing. I love to work.

Thanks for the service that you did for us. I was going to join but I couldnt. I was going to join the air force. If I could find a away to join I would in a heart beat. Well I would have to heal first lol

One more thing will I be able to lift weights again. So I can stay I shape. The one thing I'm scared of is becoming fat again ( sorry if I hurt some one feelings). I have came so far and I don't want to loose what I have compled so far. Lol I wish I was more toned. The only reason why I'm not is cuz I can't do cardo every well with out hurting.
  • Timae said:
    One more thing will I be able to lift weights again. So I can stay I shape. The one thing I'm scared of is becoming fat again ( sorry if I hurt some one feelings). I have came so far and I don't want to loose what I have compled so far.
    Hi Timae,
    I hope that you are healing from your surgery you just completed, and I look forward to hearing from you soon!
    I COMPLETELY understand and agree with what you said. It took me more than two years, but I lost 130 pounds, which I kept off for two years. Now, my goal is to maintain (it was to get toned, but that has taken a back seat to the neck issues obviously). It may sound like a non-issue to some, but I worked SO HARD to get here, and I'm so worried about sliding backward. The weight came on after my first three neck surgeries (they were boom, boom, boom 2002, 2003, 2004), and it took so long to get healthy enough to hit the gym and make a difference.
    Take care, and I look forward to our talking after I complete my surgery (the fifth cervical fusion) this Thursday.
    Heather
  • Well I'm so proud of you for loosing that weight. My surgery got moved back cuz of the surgeon tech was sick... I was all ready for surgery all I needed was the sleepy juice and go to the OR room. I had the pumps and iv in. I wish you luck. I hope you heal good . Hope to hear from you soon. I ready to get this over and so I can get my goals complete
  • Timae said:
    My surgery got moved back cuz of the surgeon tech was sick... I was all ready for surgery all I needed was the sleepy juice and go to the OR room. I had the pumps and iv in.
    Oh Timae-this is terrible! Are you still at the hospital then or did they send you home? I'm in CA, and I have just short of 48 hours until I'm due to check in for my surgery. I can't even imagine being there in pre-op, iv's in, and then, oops-can't go today!

I can share a (what I think is) funny story.
    My fourth fusion was done at our local new hospital (only been open for 5 months at the time). I'm in pre-op, iv's in, pressure cuffs on my legs, thinking, I really need to go to the bathroom-this should be fun! when the lights went out. Seriously-pitch black. I hear nurses screaming (what the heck????) and then a few seconds later (five? 10?) the emergency lights came on. A good five or more minutes later all of the lights came back on. I flagged down a nurse to ask what happened, and he had no idea, just said that it took the emergency generators longer to turn on than it should have. What the heck??? Glad that didn't happen while I was on the table... or if it did-I certainly didn't know!
    Not a great way to instill confidence in this brand new "state of the art" hospital.
    And no... my fifth fusion is not scheduled there ;)
  • I was one of the unfortunate ones that had a problem not fusing completely. The more levels that are fused reduce the chance of all levels fusing. I don't think it is a for sure thing that you will need your si joints fused because of the fusion. Yes, it does put a lot of stress on the si joints because of being fused from l3-s1, but there is that chance. It's hard for me to answer your questions about lifting weights and what type of work you can do after your surgery. I know there are spineys out there that have had 3 and 4 lumbar levels fused and go about a normal life I know one that even walks 4+ miles a day! I think that would be a good comment for you to post. I myself had a bad outcome from my surgeries, but many do not. Keep us posted as to how you are doing and I'll be praying for you that all is well. Kevin
  • I read over my previous comment. I'm fused from L2-S1. I quess that's why they have preview comment!
  • congrats! i know how important ssd is! I've been trying to get on it for almost 18 months now! The process is so slow and depressing!
  • Sorry to see that you are having a go-round with SS. What have you had done? Do you have and attorney working with you? Yes, it can be a long process, but if you've got surgeons that will back you up, it weighs quite a lot on what SS decides.
  • I am a litle confused here, You say you been fighting for 2 years now to get ssdi but you have surgery thats coming up soon, And unless i read wrong you want to know if you will be able to continue lifting weights?

As metalneck stated you might be premature to be accepted for ssdi because if surgery helps you then how can anyone know for sure if you can work after you recover from surgery or not?

Other concern would be if you are asking will you be able to continue lifting weights after surgery does that mean you can lift weights now and you need multiple level fusion?

If your spine is not stable and multiple level fusion is needed have you been able to manage with just chiro and been able to work out with weights?

Because if by some chance that was the case i would seriously rethink the multiple level fusion, Meaning are you sure its something thats going to help you do more or will it make it to where you can do less?

And you stated on dr note it says surgery will make you dissabled? Why would any dr put that on his notes that the surgery his doing is going to make a person dissabled?

Surgery is done to give a person a chance to be not dissabled, I mean yes of course there is long recovery time where person is off work after surgery,

If i read anywhere on dr note that surgery will make me dissabled i would run like hell,

Our usual concern going in to major surgery as a multiple level fusion is will i be able to walk and manage my life beter and return to work so i can live a productive life,
    Not will i be able to continue lifting weights and win my dissability case,

This is mostly what poped out at me as i was reading the posts,
    If i missread something along the lines then its my mistake,

Flexicore ADR 2004 resulting nerve damage l4l5 Fusion 2006 same level, 2009 hardware removal with lami !
    2012 scs implant ,
  • Hey when I was 13 I got hit on my bike on main street. When I got hit. I messed up my back and cracked the spine. Cracked my hip. My face hit the windshield broke my nose and it cracked my skull in front plus when I landed on my butt I cracked the back of my skull with the spine. I got brain damage. That's why I'm getting on Ssi but I just want to be on it for a little bit so I can go to school. I want to fouce on school. Then I'm getting off of it. I can't keep a job.

The reason why I ask about working out. I like being in shape and dont want to loose my body plus I want to get in better shape too.
  • But i thought ssdi only takes people who they see will not be able to work in the future,
    So how do they accept anyone just for short time,?

I am not realy sure how that works so i cant realy say, From your injury from when you was 13 have you worked and held down any job? What is your age now? Sorry never cought your age,

Flexicore ADR 2004 resulting nerve damage l4l5 Fusion 2006 same level, 2009 hardware removal with lami !
    2012 scs implant ,
  • Well I looked up on ssa. If you want to make a bigger income. You talk to them. You write a plan. They have to look at it and aprove of it. They will help you. So you can get off ssi and you can pay them back plus you will have a bigger income.

I'm 24 and I don't have a Job. I don't have a job cuz of my back plus of mential problems.
  • Oh ok got it, You are still young, Its posible you might be able to receive ssi and work part time if posible that ssdi alows on there scale of earnings,

Hope it all works out for you, Best of luck with your surgery,
    2012 scs implant ,
  • Hey everyone I got a call from my lazy lawyer today. He told me I have a court date in first party of july. So my surgery is in may 29th. I will have to drive 45 min to get to court. What I dont get is why cant they get it closer.. Oh well im happy I get the date after waiting so long. My life will be looking up after.....
  • Wow, 5 months is really good, Given the fact that it takes most people about 1-2 years to be approved. were you approved at the initial or reconsideration?
  • That's great news.
    I'm deciding on when will be the right time for me to file.
    On SDI now. Last 3 months..
    -Dave
    L4/5 herniation13mm sequestered fragment L5 root compromise.
    L3/4 annular tear.
    L2/3 3mm bulge and annular tear.
    Tens mpo combo system
    Epidural L4 L5 28Nov12 / 12Dec12 / 26Dec12. All no relief :( SO FAR
    MicroD L4 L5 May 23 2013
advertisement